Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How reliable is this rifle? I'm looking into gas rifles as my next guns, and can't decide. I love the M700 feel/look, but, I love the ARES/Tanaka ones. But, there price, isn't exactly in my range ::)

I'm just wondering if this gun is going to bust down on me after 20 hours of gameplay. Not that I couldn't just buy better parts and fix it, I just want a reliable gas gun for our offensive games (Where I'm engaging through trees and stuff, not laying around long enough to bipod up with my ASR) and just to have another sniper to mess around with.

I've done some research on it and it seems reliable, i'd just like some past experiences, or anyone who has a opinion on which gas rifle to pick out or check out

~Hoggie

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I've fired a fellow airsofters before and he said it works great. He had it for a while I think. The bolt is really smooth and it makes a beautiful kind of crack when you fire it. It's really slender
and light in comparison to my l96 from what I can remember. The mags generally get three fills of bb's from one fill of gas. And thats in Ireland, a cold enough country. It's generally consistent and has a regulator inside to change the fps. The guy was playing on the opposite team and I got him more so I'm happy.

·
Registered
909 Posts
A stock KJW is actually very inconsistent. It takes all of the normal Tanaka upgrades to get it really accurate. I would definitely recommend and HPA rig for this set-up. I would look at Mateba's thread for ideas. Here, this will save you some digging. There's a ton of very helpful information on here:

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=766&start=0

Also, I have a pretty much stock KJW M700 in an AICS stock and G&G heavy barrel that I might sell for a bit more than a stock KJW, but less than a Tanaka. Just have to do a couple mods to the magazine (took the plunge and bought the G&G G96 magazine, which is slightly too wide)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
These rifles are much like a bar10 to be honest. They are ment to be broke down and gone through with a fine tooth comb. You will have to spend a few hours on her and spend the money to buy the parts that are needed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here is my outlook on it.

Tanakas are manufactured to much higher standards with better materials. They perform very well out of the box, and are incredible once upgraded. However, upgrade parts are available to deal with almost all of the KJW's problems. You can purchase a new striker spring, new valve knocker, new nozzle, new magazine parts, and run the rig on HPA, however, without doing that it will never be close to even a stock Tanaka. With all that, it will not be quite as good as an upgraded Tanaka, but will still be good none the less.

I will just say that with my stock Tanaka compared to after I upgraded it, I saw the range go from ~200' to ~350' with a 2roy chamber (minus nozzle), G&G striker spring, and Laylax 6.03x555mm. I'm sure that if I were to run HPA and get a new nozzle, the rifle would be much more consistent.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I own a KJW M700 and I've pretty much added all the upgrade parts I can find. It's a pain in the neck (not literally)and rarely shoots particularly well (compared to my spring guns), but it's the only gun in my collection which I would never sell. I love it.
I don't run HPA because I don't like the idea of hoses running from mags to a tank wherever you care to carry it.
It is inconsistent to say the least.
I use it for target shooting and it's awful (A4 sized targets @ 30, 50 and 100 yards).
You could hit a person at 50 yards 8 out of 10 times, but you wouldn't be able to pick where you hit them ie. head, torso etc.
It's a robust rifle and will not break easily.
The materials used are as good as those on my Tanaka G33/40.
It weighs over 4kg.
My 6.01 tbb didn't work as well as my 6.03. Both worked better than the original barrel.
If you are willing to spend time and money messing around with hop buckings and nubs (the biggest problem area after gas fluctuation :'() you can build yourself a fun, use-able gun.
As for being better or worse than a Tanaka, I don't think it's a fair question. They are two different guns which happen to look the same.
If you bought a Tanaka, I guarantee you, you will have just as many issues with it as you would if you had bought the KJW.
In the end it comes down to money. If you have it, buy a Tanaka, if you don't, buy a KJW.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Except not! Bad analogy :) KJW's are very similar to Tanakas, except the hop up. However, the money you spend extra will put you close to a Tanaka, so just go for the Tanaka, unless you really need a gun now, and don't have the extra dough...

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
KJW's take VSR Barrels and buckings out of the box, and the King Arms airseal bucking is a good choice. Also, owning both rifles myself I can confirm that all parts except the barrel and hop up are interchangeable between the two.

Just my two pence, a little late but might be useful for others who look at this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.