Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So the question is in the title. What do you guys think? I live in South Africa and the Highlander pattern would (PRESUMABLY) work very well, but I don't know this for a fact. I also know that Multicam does work well since I have seen it in action a million times over.

I myself believe Kryptek is the superior pattern, since it is obvious prima facie, but it could also simply be good marketing, or people taking splendid photos highlighting its application.

The real reason I am asking this question is threefold:

• Kryptek is insanely hard to come by as of yet. ESPECIALLY in South Africa, where I will be forced to buy Internationally. This taken into account, 75% of places I visited online do not ship internationally, and when they do the price is either $300 for a pair of pants or combat shirt, or they only stock the clothes and no gear(chest rigs etc.);
  • Since it is relatively new, Kryptek is very expensive to purchase anywhere, though for a set of boonie, top and bottoms, I am willing to pay like $400, which I really don't think is being too stingy;
  • Again, since it is so young, there is no real external support for it. You have like four or five companies making equipment with it, and outside of those you're s.o.o.l;

Multicam solves almost all of these problems. You can get it anywhere, ranging from $1(no not really) to $1000, and you can get a million different companies making a million different things for it. All at the cost of perhaps in the next two years becoming obsolete(speculating, and again, perhaps), and the arguable fact that it is an inferior camouflage?

So what do you guys think? What is the better camouflage for you(please don't suggest other forms unless they are relevant to either MC or Kryptek), and what would you suggest if you were in the position of upgrading your gear?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I highly doubt Multicam will become obsolete in two years. The US Army is officially moving to a pattern called "Scorpion" which was a predecessor of Multicam. Essentially, the US Army didn't want to pay Crye's ridiculous asking price for MC, so they pulled out a prototype version of MC and went with that.

Get whatever you want. Do you really want Kryptek? Then suffer the financial loss and pick up a pair.

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a "universal" camo pattern. One particular pattern may work perfectly in one situation, yet fail horribly in another. Multicam has demonstrated that it is a decent "all around" pattern, though it will obviously not be as good as another pattern for a specific environment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what you're saying. Though, what do you think are the odds of the US Army deciding against such a purchase if they deem Kryptek to be better? As far as I understand, Kryptek is still in the running for selection by the Army? Or have they finally decided on MC(or Scorpion, specifically)?

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
I read somewhere that they made the selection on Scorpion. I'll try to find the article.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The US Army is no longer interested in Kryptek or Multicam. They have decided on Scorpion camo and we will start seeing it in use by the Army in the next 5-6 months. But it wont be available to the public for some time. (Though there may be replicas made but it wont be as effective as the real deal.)

·
Registered
697 Posts
You could get emerson kryptek clones. They literally are just as good, they are the same exact pattern (possibly only minorily darker), and are half the price. They ship internationally if you get them from Hong Kong

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was currently in your position a while back and decided to purchase the Emerson clones.

I currently have the emerson MC uniform and the Emerson Kryptek Highlander uniform. I'm currently waiting for a local store to stock up on the Mandrake pattern.

They're not bad for the price and personally I think they're not bad for airsoft use. If I were in your position and shipping from Hong Kong would keep the price below the aforementioned budget I would definitely go this route.

I purchased both for well under 300 usd.

Edit: To add to your query, I found the highlander a bit too "Brown" for certain areas where I play in hence the wait for the mandrake pattern.
Against rocks and boulders I find that the reptile like pattern blends well with the shadows and cracks of the rocks. I hope that helps, note though that I am no expert in camouflage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts