Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buddy recently bought an L96 and brought it to me to tweak. I noticed the barrel is fluted like my M28 but I dont recall ever seeing one on a 96 before.. Any idea what kind it could be? My old Mk96 had a normal smooth barrel.. I looked around online and didnt see any with this barrel. I guess it could be an aftermarket barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sure is isnt it,lol.. He bought it from one of my old team members a few months back and has never gotten to really use it. I told him about the teflon tape on the bucking and cylinder head and he want me to hook it up. He just started playing in January this year and has never been inside any airsoft gun before. I gave him a Cyma Ak for Christmas and he was hooked! He paid $80 for the L96, with a scope and bipod so its a decent deal. I plan to test shoot it today or tomorrow depending on the weather "we have a storm rolling in again" I am thinking on shimming his hopup arm and whatever else I can to this rifle. I dont know as much about the 96 as I do the Vsr style rifles but I dont figure it'll be too different. I owned a UTG back in the day but never did any Diy mods..

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just recently bought the "shadow ops" UTG MK96 from evike, and it came with a pretty nice tapered fluted barrel. I think they're starting to come like that now. Aside from being annoying to make barrel spacers for, it's wonderful!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
You can do a lot of stuff to L96 type rifles...

Polish the sears, deburr the cylinder, fillet the cylinder head, ship the hop unit, TDC is very useful, spacer the barrel, polish the hop chamber (where the cylinder head goes), polish the barrel, shim the mag catch, and foam the stock, just off the top of my head.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah thats a lot of stuff lol... I'm figuring I'll feel right at home inside this 96 cause its still just a bolt action so it will be the same concept. Also his doesnt have a folding stock, its all solid. I dont like fluted barrels one bit really. They do look pretty sweet but they are made 5X thicker then fluted, so they are way heavier than the standard barrels. I really really dont like tapered barrels like whats on my rifle. They are a pain to make spacers for. Its a shame I dont like the way the 96 feels in my hands. I think they arent a very fluent feeling stock. The way ya have to rack the bolt doesnt feel very smooth to me, its harder to to go from the grip to the bolt handle in a smooth swift movement in my opinion. The classic style rifle like the vsr,m24 etc... That feels more natural for me. I can rack that bolt as fast as most can squeeze the trigger on a semi auto rifle! Lol.. I can sent 10 shots out to my target like nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.