Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am THAT frustrated with the rifle.
The gun shoots well (just below my 1J limit on 0.3s but can hop 0.4s easily), it's somewhat consistent but it's fucking L O U D!
I have fitted a sorbo pad on the cylinder head in an attempt to reduce the sound signature and cut a couple of scotchbrite pads for the suppressor, but all in vain.
There is still a clear slap from the piston..

I have some sound absorbing foam coming this Sunday from a mate, apart from filling every single void with that stuff, is there anything else I can do before yeeting the gun and getting a VSR?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Get a Tokyo Marui VSR-10 G-spec, put in a TRIDOS or Gunsmithy TDC, put in a Maple Leaf Autobot, and shim the spring a but to boost power.
And maybe upgrade the barrel if you like.

Without foam, it's pretty quiet, but with a foam or sock filled stock it's much better.
And if you replace the foam in the suppressor with better foam that has much smaller holes and if you reduce the exit hole in the end, it will be ridiculously quiet.
At more than about 1.5J it's a bit loud, but for you it should be better than the majority of HPA snipers in terms of sound.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you can over hop the 0,4 easily, I suppose you run the short barrel version?
Have team mate running 1,3J on 0,36 and it's very quiet.
Frist I'd check the air seal. If the compression is on point, air brake is a good idea to reduce useful volume. There is no point for the VSR cylinder volume for 1J with 0,3.
Or increase the barrel length and reduce spring power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quiet is quite subjective, have you tried getting a mate to fire a few shots 10m or so away from you with ambient noise from a skirmish going on?

Mine is pretty quiet, about the same as my shrouded daystate red wolf (at uk power levels). Changing my piston made a big difference, may be poorly matched to your velocity/ammo and bottoming out? Have you tested a different suppressor?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want the gun to be super quiet because on my field, due to the dense vegetation, the chances of shooting someone over 30/35 metres are really slim, with most engagements being within 15 metres. Sound report at 50 metres isn't an issue but at these distances it matters a lot.

With the ares striker there is not much choice when it comes to upgrades (as of now, there is not a single airbrake piston available on the market).
I'm gonna try to add some weight to the piston, in theory it should hit the cylinder head at a reduced velocity, muffling the sound a little bit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
@skara

I think we should at least establish what decibel level it is, cause what you consider loud might be "normal" for most snipers.
Also is it a high frequency or low frequency sound? Human's tend to perceive higher frequency. Plus a low frequency thud is hard to pin point

Aside from all this, if you're typical engagement distance is 30 to 35 meters, why are you using a sniper? AEG would have an easier time clearly brushes.

@siliconesword

Why did you recommend a Maple Leaf Autobot over a MR hop? I was under the impression that the MR hop was defacto better with the same price point? or am I mistaken

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@Asianguy I just did a small test using a decibel recording app (I know, it's not a professional db metre but heh, it's what I have) and it recorded between 76 and 81 decibel over 15 shots. Which is not far from a mk23 apparently, although the sound is not as dull, it's a rather higher frequency, easier to pinpoint.

For reference, my SSX with a TM can does between 70 and 75db on average, same gun but with a shortened SSX "pipe" does 70/76..

With these distances yes, an AEG would be better, but I like the extra challenge presented by having only one shot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So roughly 3x louder. If it's a sharp sound I'd say you need a bit of piston weight or even just heavier BBs, mine makes a right old crack for the chrono but quiets right down on .43

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tested on 0.3, 0.32 and 0.4g bbs.
I might just add some weight and see what happens (will then swap/cut the spring to compensate if it works well)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Add weight won't help, your bb weight doesn't need it. What you need is to reduce the air coming out of your barrel. If you can hop 0,4 no problem, means you have more than enough air and big enough pressure spike. A ultra light piston with air brake (or longer barrel and weaker spring) is your best chance.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I suggest that you put your barrel under a couple blankets or pillows, do a dry fire or live fire, and then do the same with the rest of the gun under the blankets and just the barrel sticking out.
This will give you a very accurate reading of what section you will need to work

·
Registered
207 Posts
@Lukeypoodle
I wouldn't really say 3 times louder, decibel is a measure of energy, not the perception of sound. Loudness has a little bit of a vague term.
@skara
In fairness the energy level is a bit higher than normal, but not so much where I would say it would put you at a huge disadvantage

As wyz2285 and siliconesword said, I think you may need to increase your bb weight to “transfer back” that sound energy into kinetic energy for the bb, in addition to isolating what is causing your sound.

Additionally, are you sure a 1J rifle can hop a .4 bb? Are you testing it out 50meters? There is no strange bb trajectory? That’s actually more surprising to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Asianguy, that's how the db scale works isn't it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Lukeypoodle
I wouldn't really say 3 times louder, decibel is a measure of energy, not the perception of sound. Loudness has a little bit of a vague term.
@skara
In fairness the energy level is a bit higher than normal, but not so much where I would say it would put you at a huge disadvantage

As wyz2285 and siliconesword said, I think you may need to increase your bb weight to "transfer back" that sound energy into kinetic energy for the bb, in addition to isolating what is causing your sound.

Additionally, are you sure a 1J rifle can hop a .4 bb? Are you testing it out 50meters? There is no strange bb trajectory? That's actually more surprising to me.
Yup.
They fly nice and straight. At least up to 40 metres, then I can't track them anymore because they're dark gray (they were the only 0.4s I could find) -.-
The decibel readings were done using a mix of 0.3, 0.32 and 0.4g bbs and there was virtually no difference between them.

I have a day off tomorrow due to national holiday, I might go to the field with a mate and do some testing (read shooting him in the face from various ranges and see if he hears the shots)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small update, did the pillow/blanket test and most of the sound comes from the cylinder.
In an attempt to lower the sound I have filled the stock with foam, the barrel with sound absorbing material, cushioned the trigger box with some CCF to the point it is really tight to slot the receiver into the stock.

Still nothing, the gun is still loud as shit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts