Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The airgun is on ice, too many things flying around in my head at at 44 years of I need to cross off bucket list items. I decided to build a chopper. Not buy parts and bolt it together, actually design on and then bend and weld the entire thing including forks and then do some alternate power plant option. Actually "build" one.

Well not the latest project there is a buggy in front of this, but this is the project I decided to use to learn to bend notch and weld before delving into that assuming it would reduce overall costs in fewer mistakes on a bigger project. I designed the frame is CAD as well.

Will be using a Briggs and Stratton V-Twin 570cc that is built and hang a KKK KP31 turbo from it and then have it driven through a CVT. Gas and go!

Took 175 feet of tube to get the 25 feet I need done correctly. I call it learning curve. :)

First thing is need to make a welding cart and powdercoat it. Then make the frame jig and subframe jig.

Wen welding clamp the hell out of stuff. Found out the hard way as you can see on the sub frame jig.

Layup for tacking with bent and notched tubes. Made every piece 2-12 times.

Now waiting for motor and drive line to fit that stuff. Going to make my own Springer front end with over size tubes. For the record it is 3 inches longer and 2 inches shorter than a typical sportster frame. Real "swoopy" is what I was going for. Big wide rear tire with short over size thick springer and sport bike bars is what I have in mind.

This is likely straighter and more true than any commercial frame. Some are REALLY questionable man.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyhow a little entertainment ia all, if interested I can update. If not no biggie. Not working on the air gun at this time, people wonder what I am doing, I will again though, but I am ALWAYS building something, figured I'd share. :)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Great work! Keep it up. Sounds like a good and interesting project to be doing!

I've picked up an old Ford Capri Mk.1 that needs a LOT of work doing, but I enjoy worthwhile projects. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lancia would be amazing. My take is if you find the right car at the right price go for it. Something like that should take time. If you had wads of money and blew through the project in 3 months you'd be bored again. Do it slow, learn do to stuff your self, take your time, it is about the journey not the destination. I've been there and sold it, I know.

Projects rule! Good luck!

·
Administrator
6,194 Posts
The car initial cost was around 3000€, super bargain for that kind of car, though the condition wasn't very good but the engine worked as the majority of the electrics (the biggest problem on Deltona's).
Anyway I let it go... I'll find another one or maybe a BMW M3 E30 as I like it more!

I'm only hoping to make it through the financial crisis...!

Wolf

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
When you said chopper I thought you were talking about a helicopter :-D

Though that chopper looks sick man. And if you don't want you grizley air rifle...send her to me. I will give her some love :-D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looking good m8.

Drop the Briggs&stratton engine.
Go for the 1125 Rotax V-twin instead :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So the bummer is I have issues with it I want to rebuild it. I'll decide once I get the seat on maybe have to wait til fender too. Just don't know, as it it I have issues with it, maybe as it fills out I'll see it in a different light.

If I do and someone out here wants it, pay shipping and it's yours. :)

As far as motor looks like DR650 with a KP31 turbo, I can't find an XR650 motor. The brigs just look funny in the motorcycle. As my ideas evolved the design changed to the point that the vanguard wold just look weird. There is a Honda twin with a turbo if you like that stuff too, search Youtube with "Honda GX 620 Turbo V2 Part Two". :)

Anyhow, here it is on the ground. Not sure how I feel about it but it is kinda cool at the same time.

Rough motor size mockup, but gives me a sense of if I like it or not and gives an idea of center post I'll run a jack shaft through. Still on the fence if I like it...

It's deceptive but the head tube is actually a bit taller than most bobber/chopper kits you buy at 33 inches from the ground to the top tube where it meets the stem.

I will admit, I like it more with the space taken up. I went for long low and swoopy, kinda old skool bobber meets drag bike meets new skool chopper. I got that alright, now I a splitting hairs and arguing with myself on the merits of the design ha ha...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.