Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've been interested in wanting to learn how to work with the interior parts of airsoft guns, I just have no idea where to start. Was wondering where y'all think the best place / way to learn would be.

Thanks in advance

· Registered
3,685 Posts
It's really not complicated for the normal stuff, people just overthink it.

Really a lot of the stuff is in the fine details, like how shimming something with a tiny bit of tape will do something awesome, or using the wrong kind of grease will tank FPS. It's really too much to learn all at once, but you sort of just pick things up along the way.
I suggest that you just scroll through the section on here related to your gun, and probably The Lounge and General Sniper Talk. Really what you would want to do is just ask about something you need help with, either here or Facebook, and you will probably get what you need. Learning everything is pretty much an impossible goal, and coming from somebody like myself, you will always learn something new to gain another little edge.

· Registered
303 Posts
Agreed with what silicone said. You basically just do maintenance and repair on any airsoft you could get your hands on, even I offered my friends to service their gun completely free of charge just because I am curious about the inside. You'll learn something new before you realise it.

Edit : Of course I am being mindfull whether I could reassemble their gun completely or not before asking my friends lol, wouldn't be polite of me to disassemble theirs and return it in pieces 🤣

· Registered
450 Posts
Pick something easy to begin with and research the subject - YouTube videos, speak to friends, poke friendly techs or even ask on forums, just be sure to get your information from more than one source and be wary of Reddit. Changing the hob rubber/nub and cleaning the barrel can make quite a difference to performance and doesn't require a huge mechanical understanding, or a wide range of tools - that's certainly where I started. Then perhaps look at hop chamber swaps......or maybe open the gearbox (carefully) and try shimming or even simply have a poke around to see how it all fits together.

· Registered
399 Posts
One tip I learned when I started doing my own repairs was to take a picture before and after every step, so that I could trace back how I disassembled something and the state it was in before I did my thing.
Helps massively with weird guns that aren't your average M4 and/or VSR.

Youtube videos may help, but I found that most of them give bad advice or develop shitty habits (like using PTFE tape to seal compression parts instead of lubing/replacing o-rings and gaskets), it's also worth giving your local tech a shot, ring him/her up and ask if you can assist (or even sit there and watch them work).

· Registered
140 Posts
Read. Here and Airsoftsociety would be the only places I’d trust. Don’t ask Reddit until you learn a bit of what’s up. :)

I’ll third the recommendation to get inside as many guns as possible. Better yet, offer to upgrade things like shimming, lubing, and compression on friends’ guns once you learn how to do it. That’ll give them easy incentive to let you play around with their pews. I’ve rebuilt guns, and even put together mech boxes from scratch for friends.

But very first, get on YouTube and the forums! Check out TheAirsoftTech on YouTube to get a visual aid about what goes on inside a gearbox. And don’t get caught up thinking about speedy-boy builds.

· Super Moderator
4,221 Posts
Get some boneyard guns. If you can't fix them your not out a ton of cash, and you can't fuck it up anymore then it is as it wasn't working in the first place. If you do fix it, new gun for little money and you learned something. (Your going to learn something regardless)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aight so I'm working on this busted p90 I got my hands on, I've basically completely fixed it (had a busted body + busted hopup all that jazz. Only issue now is when I shoot sometimes this tab piece at the end of the gearbox (idk what it's called) sometimes doesn't go back so it blocks feeding for the bbs. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this? (Useless arrow I know)

Thanks in advance.
Revolver Office equipment Bumper Gun accessory Machine

Attachments

· Registered
303 Posts
It's the nozzle. Feeding issues is pretty common, mostly because of the delayer (in the sector gear, the gear that pulls the spring, you notice there's a bulge where it pulls tappet plate) doesn't have the correct timing, could be helped by adding a delayer chip (idk what you call it lol). Other cause could be the different in length of the nozzle itself, which you know could be vary between brands.

It's also possible that your tappet plate might need replacement

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the nozzle. Feeding issues is pretty common, mostly because of the delayer (in the sector gear, the gear that pulls the spring, you notice there's a bulge where it pulls tappet plate) doesn't have the correct timing, could be helped by adding a delayer chip (idk what you call it lol). Other cause could be the different in length of the nozzle itself, which you know could be vary between brands.

It's also possible that your tappet plate might need replacement

You were right about the tappet plate, it was screwed in a little too much. Fixed the issue. My first gun repair! Woohoo! Final product :

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts