Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a Leapers UTG MK96 with the UTG spring/spring guide/piston upgrade and a Madbull 6.03 inner barrel. When shoot 4.3g bbs my shots tend to curve to the left, however if i shot .36g bbs it curves to the right. I am unsure as to what may be causing either of my issues, so here i am asking for some help. Debating on doing the TDC mod to help with this issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There's several factors that cause sidespin:
-"Roll" angle of the gun when you fire it. If you "roll" your gun left or right, there will be sidespin. This should be obvious. Isolate this by making sure your gun's roll angle is 100% perpendicular to the ground, and then compare the 2 bb's.
-Accidental variance in "roll" angle of the hop up chamber. The L96's hop up chamber can and will roll and wiggle left and right. Getting rid of this "rolling" wiggle room is essential, which you can do with this mod: http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/showthread.php?t=5006
-Barrel wobble/vibration is a possibility. With the different bb weights, vibration in the barrel can mess up the flight paths differently. Barrel spacers indeed.
-Your hop up arm might be broken, or on the verge. The stock hop up arm is fabulously notorious for being as brittle as an iPhone screen (yes I went there). If it's not broken, it's probably flexing, causing your sidespin. Reinforce it, or buy an ASE, HP, or PDI chamber to take care of that problem.

There's no point doing the TDC mod because the hop up adjustment is already centered on the stock chamber. I only see a point in doing the TDC mod if you place the TDC screw closer to the hop up window, so there's less flex and more support for the hop up arm. But instead of that, you could just reinforce the hop up arm by gluing a metal shim on top, which is much easier. Or just buy a new chamber.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've had this problem and occasionally still do. I would suggest the TDC mod as a LAST RESORT.
Make sure that your bucking is set properly, make sure your nub is level and not leaning one direction or out of alinement in any way. One flaw with the UTG L96 model that I have found as well as a few others is the barrel might not be level. Meaning while your gun is assembled your barrel could be rotated to the right and cause a hook to that direction or vise versa. Also your hop up unit within the barrel might not be perfectly level. What I like to do to make sure those aren't any varriables is twist my barrel all the way to one side then work from there. Hope these tips help!

Remember TDC as a last resort!

Lulukchoo you just beat me -_-

·
Registered
212 Posts
Really? Yeah, I initially went with scotch tape on my experimentation, but I ended up using JB Weld instead. I saw better results, because with tape, every time I'd removed or insert the mag catch into or out of the stock, the tape would rip.

I found it cool how you could use this mod to have the same effect as a PDI hop up chamber. If your gun naturally curves right, you can layer more tape/JB Weld/epoxy on the left side of the mag catch, and in effect rotate the hop up chamber leftwards to fix the sidespin.

This mod is basically the sole reason I tell people not to get a PDI chamber lolol. At least, I tell them to buy the single hop up arm Cheese Man designed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the info. I will start to tackle these items one by one until i have this problem solved. As frustrating as this is i will not give up on being an airsoft sniper. I love playing the role and will continue to improve no matter what. My first step will be to shoot the gun using supports so the can be no user error on my part to see if it is in fact me. also getting the PDI hop up chamber regardless :). Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh forgot to mention that I did notice the set screw that holds the outer barrel in place, i think this is a horrible way to hold it, doesnt tighten down comepletely. I may have to find a different way to secure my outer barrel. After your explanation of barrel roll i thought about this problem. Sorry for the double post.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so heres an update for those who have been helping: Shot the rifle some today and tested to see if it was user error via rolling the barrel. Conlusion: it is not me. Second test/attempt to fix was realigning my scope. Leveled my rifle out, both vertically and horizontally, then lined up crosshairs with the edge of a refrigerator to ensure proper alignment. Shot the rifle again and still same results. Next i will be finding a good epoxy to try the hop up roll. thanks again for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.