Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Light multicam ghillie hood assistance.

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Plazmaburn 
#1 ·
Hello ASF community! I'm Specs, and I'm new blood around here. (Find my intro post here for some background.)

Anyway, I'm looking to build an ultralight ghillie hood setup akin to the Crye Precision Compact Assault Ghillie. Needless to say, I'm not made of the Crye money, so I'm looking to do some DIY. Some of you out there might have made something similar, so chime in with any experience and tips you might have.

I'll start with my goals for the build:
1. Keep it stupid simple.
2. Keep it as cheap as possible.
3. Use minimal materials so it can be easily rolled and stowed on back panel.
4. Needs to match multicam in tones.
5. Needs to be light and very breathable. (I'm in a very active DMR role.)

I'll also mention that I'm trying to avoid sinking money into a tog like Voodoo tactical's. Goal here is to keep cost down, and since I'm aiming for a multicam lookalike, I'll need some funds for matching. (My team runs multicam under American Milsim UFS standards, and I don't want to stick out with a tan ghillie in the midwest. Also can't seem woodland in tones.)

So I was thinking of picking up something like "Killer" camo netting, cutting to form, and modding with shock cord and buckles.

Questions in regards to this method:
1. Anyone have any experience in working with camo netting?
2. Does that provided netting seem close enough to multicam in tones? Does anyone know where I could get smaller quantities of it or something similar?
3. Any other methods that would make more sense for the project?

See less See more
#5 ·
It seems like you are looking for a viper hood. Something like: https://www.google.com/search?q=vip...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIwP-VjPS1xwIVkDaICh0UagCf

However, I find that it is a bit pricey. It is pretty much mess fabric with a net sewn onto it.

If your going to purchase a viper hood or make something similar, you can cut up that netting you've linked and tie bundle around the netting. Maybe throw some jute into the mix as well.

#6 ·
I do love the viper hood, but those are typically best as a base for tying ghillie and vegetation.

I like the idea of cutting and modding that netting as it works (in a simple way) to break up my body silhouette a bit more and still act as a netting that I can tie vegetation into here and there. I might tie in a few strands of burlap or paracord here and there just for those situations.

#7 ·
For anyone interested in how this build turned out!

Pardon the poor bathroom photography and civies. I'll get some better shots up later.

Crye compact ghillie as inspiration, and had these goals in mind:
-Must be comfortable in the summer
-Must be ultralight in weight
-Must be compact and easily stowable
-Must come close to multicam in tones (Team and rule compliance)
-Must retain access to all important gear on PC
-Should still retain ability to hold branches and foliage

#9 ·
Definitely! Most suits of that variety are some form of realtree pattern however, which isn't permitted under American Milsim's ruleset. So I had to custom fabricate one that is close to multicam to fit those requirements. I'll have to take some shots in the environment with veg as well. Can't wait to test it.

#10 ·
Looks way too tan and way too uniform.

The one i linked is actually just like yours. They use a vinyl camo netting in varying colors and patterns, that is zip tied to a mesh base, that the end user can customize as it is a assemble your self kit.

I saw a few when I was paintballing, not overly effective against seasoned players on the lookout for ghillies and such. However for your more run and gun type players, they may walk past you without notice. Depends on your skills at stealth.

Also something to think about, if you are going to use that during the night, be warned that your suit may not be IR neutral (Pretty good chance that it is not). Meaning you will stand out to night vision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.