Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
I must concur with the majority of information & comments above on the subject at hand adding in a couple of things based on my experience & testing.

A longer barrel in gas powered rifles actually aids in acting as an expansion chamber for the change of the propellant state itself while resulting in more efficiency on the delivery of power behind the projectile, however; there is a fine line between the threshold of an optimal length to achieve maximum efficiency & any length over that threshold will only result in a degraded loss in performance. Unfortunately; with all the variances in manufacturer tolerances & the variable types of propellant for use, some definitive testing with trial & error is required to achieve the best performance for any given gas rifle setup.

Over my years of testing I have discovered that the key element in knowing when the inner barrel length & diameter are achieving the maximum threshold for performance is that an airsoft rifle will actually achieve a higher FPS reading with hop-up backspin that with no back-spin applied at all. The reason being is that the hop-up actually lifts the BB slightly off of the bottom of the barrel, allowing the BB to then roll down the top of the barrel with less resistance or drag from air turbulence.
This not only allows the BB to exit the barrel more efficiently by increasing it's muzzle velocity, but also enabling the BB to travel on a much straiter path once exiting the barrel. It is both my personal & professional opinion based on my findings that many operators have experienced much better performance from a quality made 6.03mm tight bore barrel versus the tighter ID barrels such as the 6.01mm or 6.00mm ID barrels that are offered also as airsoft precision upgrade components.

A barrel that is too long or too large in ID will loose it's efficiency prematurely thus resulting in the "loss in the desired air cushion under the BB" causing excess turbulence equating to unpredictable BB scrub & bounce on the inside of the barrel before it successfully exits the muzzle.

Both the proper barrel ID & length are two crucial factors in achieving the highest performing results from any airsoft gun & each gun has a sweet spot; honestly that can only be achieved with some time spent wisely to find what works best for it's operator.

"Send It!"

The BushMan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.