Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Snow Wolf M82 I have a 550 mm barrel and then an extension that goes to the end of the outer barrel. The inside diameter of the extension is a little bit bigger than the outer diameter of the inner barrel.

So should I get an inner barrel that goes to the end of the outer barrel?

Or should I keep the barrel like it is and leave the extension or take off the extension?

·
Administrator
6,194 Posts
Well I have a 800mm inner barrel in my SG Barrett and still doesn't reach the flash hider!
I've custom made 3 barrel spacers and it's shooting fine!

Have you supported the extension well? Is it centered!
If you're happy with your guns performance leave it like this though it will be better if the barrel is near tip of the barrel. You'll also have more accurate fps.

Wolf

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The performance is pretty good, I just would like to maximize it. The extension is centered and everything is a tight fit. I also have the shorter barrel one so I'm sure I could get a barrel that goes to the end.

Paul, well I don't really have that option of having the barrel shorter. If I put a shorter inner barrel in it then wouldn't the inside of the outer barrel be treated like an inner barrel?

I was thinking with the inner barrel diameter and the extension diameter that the volume of those two would be way over the cylinder volume. So if I got a barrel that went all the way to the end it would be way closer to a match.

I'm not sure which way would maximize performance or if there would even be a difference?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
. If I put a shorter inner barrel in it then wouldn't the inside of the outer barrel be treated like an inner barrel??
In a word 'No', the BB would stop being propeled as soon as it left the inner barrel, what "might" happen is that you get turbulance given off by the rapidly expanding gases which inturn "could" affect the BB flight :shrug:

I was thinking with the inner barrel diameter and the extension diameter that the volume of those two would be way over the cylinder volume. So if I got a barrel that went all the way to the end it would be way closer to a match.

I'm not sure which way would maximize performance or if there would even be a difference?
All your doing is trying to out think a problem that doesn't exist, if its not broken leave it the fek alone :doh:

I can assure you that your on the outer limit of efficiency if you run a full bolt action cylinder or 19 tooth AEG box and a 600mm barrel, and if your only running a standard 0type AEG cylinder 450mm is your absalute max to power .28s :yup:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Then why do half the mods we do...
Are guns aren't broken but we want to make it better.
If I could find the right way to do it then that could make it tht much more accurate and shoot further by making it more efficient.

So if my gun is only shooting 100 feet I should leave it cause it isn't broken?? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If I could find the right way to do it then that could make it tht much more accurate and shoot further by making it more efficient.
Ok...... cut your barrel from the completely OTT 550mm down to 420(ish)mm & crown it, as has already been said by Builder the BB has finished accelerating well within 300mm, but you do need to maintain a certain volume of air within it to maximize the efficiency of your gearbox to propel your BB. The heavier the BB, the more weight of air in relation to your barrel volume you need to propel it efficiently. The barrel you have now, paired with the gearbox you have, wont even propel a .2 efficiently, it might do if you are using .12s :shrug:

Make sure you support it all along its length, then extend your original extention to match.

To be honest, I'd rip the extention out all together, then , after making sure my inner barrel was fully centralised and shooting straight and clean through the muzzle brake, I'd get some thin, open pore, foam and feed it into the outer until it got to my inner barrel and turn my outer barrel into a secret suppresor :hehe:

·
Registered
919 Posts
To be honest, I'd rip the extention out all together, then , after making sure my inner barrel was fully centralised and shooting straight and clean through the muzzle brake, I'd get some thin, open pore, foam and feed it into the outer until it got to my inner barrel and turn my outer barrel into a secret suppresor :hehe:
That is a great suggestion.

My point was that our guns are not like real steel where a longer barrel automatically equates to a better shooting gun. There are many factors that come into play. We need to look at air volume, PSI, BB weight, air delivery speed, barrel bore. In most cases a moderate length barrel with a sound power supply is the way to go.

Paul

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not saying a "need" a longer barrel, I'm just trying to figure out if a barrel tht goes to the end of the outer barrel would be better than one that only goes half way with possible turbulance?

But I guess a shorter one would work better?

·
Registered
838 Posts
that's the last correct

·
Registered
838 Posts
I just mean you last sentence is correct . Shorter will more better, don't have any mean.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You'll be fine, I ran a 20" suppressor on my old M24 & never saw any adverse effects, I only said it " may" suffer turbulence, but if that was the case anyone who runs a suppressor, faux or real, would suffer the same issues & just have to learn to shoot around them :shrug:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.