Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had to take my spring out of my rifle to put into my step sons new/used Mb03. It had lots of bad parts so I used my spare parts for him and he needed to lower the spring from his "500fps+ -" So I had to help the kid out and now with his spring I had a dang slamfire,lol.. So now I have a spring thats no good to me and would love if someone had a stock 400fps or so spring they would like to trade or sell super cheap. I already have 2 harder ones. I dont have a chrono but my old spring got me 450-470fps with teflon tape. "Coke can test". I would like to go back to that or lower. I prefer 420 to be actual.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The fps will decrease the more you cut it. Just cut off a little at first to experiment. If for some reason you cut off too much just put in some spacers in the piston.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not so much the fps that is an issue though. I want to have less stress on my piston,cutting the rings on the harder spring will decrease the fps but will it actually be lots less stress on the piston? I like the idea grass had about making the rifle quieter though. I was reading Cheesmans post someplace about his rifle shooting 350 or something. I think I like that. I can still engage closer when/if needed. I thought the coils werent just the only thing that makes a spring harder, isnt it also the guage of the steel?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
It is not only the gauge of the steel, but also how much elasticity it has, and what type of steel it is. I don't know what you mean by "stress on the piston". Do you mean when it slams into the cylinder head? That is what the damper at the top of the piston is for; to cushion it when it hits.

And the optimal fps is about 300 for bbs. Cheese explains this here: http://airsoftsniperforum.com/showthread.php?t=4314

Would you believe this is the fourth thread I had to link this to? It's a really useful explanation. He did in fact say someplace he uses 350fps, I just forget where too.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I guess I dont know how to word it,lol.. I mean for when its cocked, the stress that is on the piston when the sear holds it back. I traded the weak spring I had for my kids harder one and I ended up getting a slamfire. I took out the piston and saw the little flat spot that just happened and I would like to stop that from getting worse as I have the Echo1 m28 and there arent any aftermarket pistons.

Edit. the spring I traded my boy is slightly weaker or just about the same as the stock spring the m28 comes with. I already have steel sears.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'm not sure what that spring is, because I never used that gun before. I sometimes get slam fire if i don't pull the cylinder back the right way (I even have z-trig) and I periodically check my piston and see no wear on it at all. Although my piston is metal, not plastic. I don't know much about the echo guns, but it sound like you are using the 45 degree angle sears and it can't take the powerful spring. In my experience he 45 degree sears an only take up to about 450-500 fps springs without slam fireing. Anything past that and yo need the 90 degree sears an piston.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
if the spring is shorter there will be less of the spring to cause tension, hence, lessening the stress on the piston. This will also lower fps.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Your are only thinking about how much force it takes to compress the spring, not how much of the spring there is to compress. Think of it this way; if each inch of the spring takes 2 pounds to compress, and the spring is 20 inches long, it takes 40 pounds to fully compress. but if you take away 10 inches, it then takes 20 pounds, instead of the original 40. That means less stress on the piston. I understand your hesitation. i was the same way with my tdc mod.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right on,sorry if I seem a little slow bro,lol.. thankfully I already have two springs incase I dont like the end results. And heck since I am going to already be in there I might see what I have to absorb the shock like Grass mentions with a wii remote cover. I dont know if I have anything like that laying around that the wife wouldnt notice and beat me to death for it,lol.. thanks buddy for tolerating me tonight..

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
No problem. If you need something to cushion or dampen it, then use something rubbery like the wii remote cover. Because of the forces inside the cylinder, I would go with something slightly harder than that cover though. Also, when you cut that spring, cut it in small increments and test fps to make sure you don't go overboard. It's not easy to gauge how much you need to cut off.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I'm one of those people who throws nothing away lol. I can almost always find the right parts for a job.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You can probably use the rubber from a soft eraser if you want to. Just make sure it's not too old and brittle. i found an old eraser under my bed yesterday and it was hard as a rock. I whacked it with a hammer and it cracked.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.