Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not saying researching before starting a new thread is not working out for me but I think I've been misinformed. Again.
Two of my rifles have been given gunmetal gray cylinders. This made a problem surface in that after only a few pulls, a scratch is starting to show up along the cylinder.
The solution I was told when doing some research on a small Swedish forum was to spray the thing with silicone oil. This is not working at all, if anything it's gumming up both the sleeve and guide rings instead.

On suggestion from replies to another thread I've started using silicone grease rather than oil on the inside of the cylinder. Can this grease be applied to the outside too? Or am I supposed to use something completely different? I've seen a guy use dry PTFE. Is this a good option?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
You don't really want to grease the outside of your cylinder as it attracts dirt, sand, and any detritus nearby, wearing things out and making the pull bad.
I recommend that you clean everything with acetone or alcohol and put everything back together dry, only lubing the following parts with a very slippery silicone grease or oil.
Piston seal
Cylinder head seal
Spring guide and spring
Inside of cylinder

An alternative is this stuff called Tamiya CeraGrease that is incredibly slippery and will sometimes boost FPS over a different grease or oil, but if you already have some oil then you probably don't need it.

As for the trigger unit, I recommend molybdenum or lithium grease, not oil as oil will drip out and make a mess while grease stays in place.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I’m a fan of tech T for my vsrs. If you choose to lube the outside of the cylinder, try and keep it towards the front where it’s less exposed. Also, an ejection port/dust cover helps with dirt a little!

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
Is the scratch on the outside or inside the cylinder? Is it localized to one spot or all over?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the scratch on the outside or inside the cylinder? Is it localized to one spot or all over?
Outside, a major scratch and a smaller scratch, one in line with the "ejection port" lower edge and the bigger one about 4mm above it, both seem to be caused by something in the rear part of the receiver. I sent it to a friend overnight (for inside polishing), I'll take a picture asap.

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
Then I would take your receiver apart and thoroughly inspect it for burrs and debris. I would also look at your guide rings to make sure they are clean and smooth.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then I would take your receiver apart and thoroughly inspect it for burrs and debris. I would also look at your guide rings to make sure they are clean and smooth.
After doing this, the bolt pull feels a bit smoother but still a bit gritty so it may or may not be solved. The two scratches don't show up well at all on camera.
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
Definitely something rubbing hard that shouldn't be. I would continue looking. something on the back end of your rifle is grabbing too much. use some sandpaper to smooth out the rings and any edges that may be high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Blind Sniper About guide sleeves, do you have a third method? Both polycarbonate and carbon fiber tube methods are out of reach in terms of material, a problem I often run into. Most my rifles have sleeves made of water bottles, which sort of works but only sort of. Can you use only a folder somehow? Got plenty of those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts