Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago and far, far away I carried a XM-21 through jungles and rice paddies, one of the few in the 173rd issued the new upgraded M-14's.

Initially the XM-21 was only a match grade M-14 with a drop style scope attachment, where scope could be easily rotated out of the way of the bolt and stripper clamp. Weapon was zeroed for 400m due to the limited open firelanes we had to deal with in the highlands.

The prime reason for the M-14/XM-21 as a field sniper weapon was the need for the quick "follow on" shot as well as the ability to also act as a battle rifle when needed. Bolt rifles were good for firing out of the firebases, but out in the boonies, a bolt action was a liability in a firefight.

I still play with my upgraded G+G M-14 moded as my original XM-21, for the exact same reasons as noted above. I can snipe with the ability to have that immediate "follow on" shot without losing sight picture, and the ability to act as a support weapon in a closer firefight. I maintain very strict range restrictions on myself due to fps/safety concerns and I do carry a XM-177 as a backup, as well as a GBB M1911. Old habits die hard, and since I am very limited in movement due to age and disability I have resurrected my training and skills as an "interdiction rifleman" taught and perfected all those years ago.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is the same reason I was issued the DMR (tricked out National Match M-14). Although, because it was glass bedded, it wouldn't be suitable for the historical environments you listed. It's a perfect Designated Marksmen weapon.

Like you, I'm one who selects the airsoft weapons I own and use based on my experience and what I would like to remain nominally proficient with. However, if I were an airsofter with only airsoft experience trying to play in these roles, there are much better choices than the exceptionally large and unwieldy M-14 style. The advantages of the weapon system in combat can become a deficiency in airsoft.

I own an M-14 and love it. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone playing airsoft because the length and weight don't make it any more accurate or better than a bull-pup Steyr AUG or really any weapon system with high performance upgrades.

I'd love to see your replica though. I very much appreciate making your airsoft guns into what you knew for nostalgic purposes!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Huge respect to you guys. This weapon-soldier relationship has something from ancient times when sword was a mirror of warrior's soul. - Thank you for sharing your story. It may bring more meaning to Airsoft for people without combat experience.

G

·
I have to agree with Global. Thanks for sharing. My active duty MP units didn't have provisions for DMs and the Guard MP unit I went to Iraq with had 11 M-14 DMRs in inventory but never trained anybody on them and left them Stateside. It infuriated alot of us with experience in other theaters, especially since the fact the unit had DMRs wasn't made widely known until we got to Iraq. Anyway enough griping. I think it would be interesting if you guys compared your real world kit with your airsoft kit. I know I would enjoy reading it and would probably learn alot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use a modern version of the kit i carried for the Marines in the mid 80's...

Then: Primary: M14 - 3x9x40 Urtel Scope - Std. Wood Stock .... Secondary: HK .45
Gear: Standard Alice H-Rack

Now: Primary: M14 - 6x16x50 Swarovski Clone - Sage EBR or JAE100 Stock ... Secondary: HK USP
Gear: Tactical Tailor 2 pcs MAV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Set Up-

US VN era Light Tiger/ with OD floppy
US M-1954 LBE 8X M14 lowcap mags in pouches, 7X lowcap 20rd M16 in bandoleer, 7x lowcap M16 in chinese issue SKS vest.
US Lightweight ruck(drape and cover netting inside) food/poncho liners, socks, cookcan, heattabs, instant coffee, M+M's and other sundries from the old days.

G+G M-14 Vet v3 w/ RL 3X9 ART (the one off my M1A real steel)
CA XM177E2 backup
CAW M-79 w/ 3 shotshell, 2 foam rockets (slung across top of ruck)
KWA M-1911A1 3X mags

Have been out there in hides for hours, proper drape and depth netting, no-one knows where it comes from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also own a m1a scout squad. I think its the best weapon ever made haha. It was a personal present to myself after my first deployment. I wanted to get a M14 air soft because I am so comfortable with my m1a. like Phridum said, it is a beast. Mine has a 18" barrel and still feels like a tun of bricks. Not something I would want playing air soft. Good post

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.