Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am an (excited yet nervous) new owner of an M14 ebr and am having some slight problems with it as of now. My plan is to get it into a decent DMR platform. Ive got the internals pretty much done, and am now working on making it semi-only. I bought it from a user here on the forums who was unsure of the brand of this m14. I cant find any trades on it, the battery that came with it is a KART brand, and the internals take V2 gears if that helps.

My problem is this: I removed the plastic piece and the fire select knob to make it only able to go into semi and physically cant go to full auto. Well, after re-assembling it, it will fire one shot on the first trigger pull, but the darker metal piece in the below picture does not return all the way down and stays on top of the trigger contact. So, on the next trigger pull, it will go full auto - when I release, it will go back to its normal position. The next pull is semi, then full, then semi, etc. Could it be a misalignment with the cam on the bottom of the sector gear? Could it be stopping at a weird point and not allowing the cutoff lever to return to its "resting" point?

I hope that makes sense, and I hope its an easy fix that some of you seasoned m14 veterans can point out. Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think that the problem is that the cut of lever can move free without the piece of plastic.
Easy to solve. Just place it as it should be. With the full auto option. Switch it to semi only. Remove the knob on the outside that allows you to switch.
Now you got yourself a working semi only m14.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nightwolf. The plastic piece is broken on the other side, but I put it in where it should go when in semi mode and held it firmly in place. I still had the problem when this piece was installed. If I try to move the cutoff lever back to where it should be to reset the trigger, I can definitely feel a hard stop - as in, it doesnt feel like its being caught on the trigger contact. If it was, It seems like I could just force it back over it to reset it. Since it feels hard than that, it brings me back to my first thought about the cam on the sector gear keeping it from resetting properly. But if thats the case, why does it work some of the time?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link mtcox. It was the battery that said KART, not the motor. But that still kinda points towards the gun being a KART. Ill keep digging a bit and may try to modify my cutoff lever accordingly. Any other help would be great if people had it!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had some problems like this before but that was because my cut off lever was broken. I think that you have already checked that :p
Have you replaced the gears? And if so, did you had the same problem?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, i am using a set of SHS v2's. I honestly didnt try the gun out much before I replaced the gears, so im not sure if the problem was still there. It might be worth it to see if the cutoff cam on the sector gears are in the same orientation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I fixed it! I had a thought right before I got home - I was getting a very unusual amount of whine from my gearbox despite having shimmed it pretty well. It occurred to me that I never really shimmed the bevel to pinion. So, if that interaction was too tight, it could cause the huge amount of whining, as well as lock up the gears and stall them just enough to cause the sector to not continue to rotate and release the cutoff lever...

And thats exactly what it was! I reshimmed the bevel gear higher and it now works perfectly on semi! Im still getting a little bit of whine from the gearbox, but I think thats ok, its substantially better than it was. And now I get semi auto only!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nicely done! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts