Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, due to a LARGE cock up on my part, I managed to fry all the electrics in my M14 Veteran, long story short,being lazy, charged battery in the stock, it got hot, melted all insulating materials between the batteries and the MOSFET, shorting everything out and with a healthy dose of 240 volts to make sure everything fryed to a black fizzing pulp
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

It now requires re-wiring and to a degree re-building. But if I'm going to do it I have a dilemma that I need to sort first.

Now, theres a large part of me that loves the EBR and when I made my G&G box fit the stock it sort of had a wow factor, as no one but those that owned the KART or converted it to the TM version could even dream of owning one, but now it looks like G&G are now going to make one, this no longer holds true :-/

But there is still an amount of a wow factor that is given when you pull out a gun from your gun bag that is bigger than your average SAW, that is still only a single shot sniper system. You just don't get that when you pull out a walnut stocked M14 :(

The funny thing is most M14 owners, Ive talked to or read on forums about the M14, don't like the long version EBR for some strange reason, so it makes them an oddity over here.

Non of this has anything to do with the fact that the EBR is probably a better and more rigid chassis for an airsoft sniper rifle, which is another reason I'm drawn to it.

So I put it to you, as I cant seem to make up my mind, I've tryed to weigh the pros and cons of stupidly heavy against more ergonomic and adjustable, against how light the M14 is, but not totally suited to its sniping roll (stock wise), and I've even asked team mates, but they are just full auto grunts who don't understand what I do, so I'm asking like minded individuals.....

Please help an indecisive old man ???

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
EBR all the way Vindi!!!!

I love mine to death. Painted up the stock, rewired, and have been playing with it in my house and shooting the snow drifts off of my garage roof

I do have the long version... and yes it is a bit front heavy, but if you plan on running a bi-pod on her she wouldn't be to bad. I have a really small lipo in mine and she runs great. Have her set up to just do semi.

Trying to do a few paint touch ups on her and I will get some pics of her. I have the Classic Army version and I love her. I think I paid around $400 for her when using the discount code from airsoftgi.com.

The CA version will take the G&G mags so that shouldn't worry if you already have G&G mags for your burnt rifle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like all the options!

...but look at it this way:
veteran woodstock if you want that look and don't mind the little extra weight.
black plastic stock if you're on the move a lot and want a bit more modern look and feel.
EBR is just a plain badass, but a bit more weight than other regular M14 versions.

If I was a crawling, slipping through the woods, a regular, no 20mm weaver rails version is what I'd pick. Less to snag and get caught up on.

sucks about your other M14 and the wiring!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do we know if the new EBR and standard M14's (non veteran stock) by G&G will be internally upgraded like the old veteran?

I assume the EBR would be, and if so I'd say go for it. If the price isn't outrageous I would go for the versatility of the EBR, despite the front-heaviness. Plus G&G's will probably be slightly lighter because of the Mg alloy they use in their rifles.

Then again, I've never played a full day solely with an EBR, so I can't talk as well as some people on the fatigue factor.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think its a done deal on the EBR front, and judging by your posts you all think I'm buying a new one..... sadly,...... no,...... I've had a G&G EBR for over 12 months now, on and off

Mainly cuz I did what everyone else said was impossible and fitted my M14 into a KART chassis, which is why it used to raise so many eye brows when I used to get quizzed about it being a G&G, and not some other well known brand ;)

Reminder

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/phpBB/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=408

I have some bits and pieces on the way like steel stock bars, and the like, to try and shift the weight more backwards.

I'm also gona bite the bullet and go lipo
still genning up on it as to what would be best for what I plan on using it for, so any advise from people using lipos in an AEG SASS would be welcome ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
zulu said:
Do we know if the new EBR and standard M14's (non veteran stock) by G&G will be internally upgraded like the old veteran?

I assume the EBR would be, and if so I'd say go for it. If the price isn't outrageous I would go for the versatility of the EBR, despite the front-heaviness. Plus G&G's will probably be slightly lighter because of the Mg alloy they use in their rifles.
All G&G M14's will be built the same internally from the intel I read from a reputable source. 8-9mm bushings etc. I can't recall exactly where I came across this info, but it was during some heavy G&G M14 researching. Veteran models use to be superior in internal build over regular version 3 M14's. I think with the V4 G&G M14's and newer the internals will be the same as the "veteran" models.

Sorry I'm so absent minded and wish I could find the article and recall which M14 tech I talked to. That's what happens when you've researched far too much, for too long.

My buddy just got the latest G&G M14, black (plastic) stock and is very impressed.
I should have my hands on it here soon to camouflage the stock and heat shield for him with duracoat. He told me to play a few games with it to see I want to end up buying one too. I'll pass on some feedback then.

To me, lipo's aren't so foreign to me anymore.
I was out this past weekend with my KWA SR10, 7.4v 15c lipo which was shooting
18-19 bb's per second. Plenty rate of fire and was impressed by the range and accuracy coming out the end of a M4 variant, V2 AEG. I was hitting everything I shot at.

With lipo's - 7.4v 15c-25c will shoot like a large 9.6v NiMh battery. 11.1v 20-25c
is where the speed starts to really pick up and as long as you have a quality gear box and things set up correctly with in that gear box you will be alright. Will require a bit more maintenance. Maybe a yearly inspection on your internals.

Also I highly recommend the Thunder AC charger. Chargers was one of the main things that kept me from switching to lipo's. there's plenty of Youtube videos on this charger and how to use it. Plus it charges Nimh's, Nicad's, and LiPo's for about $55 (US) shipped. bought mine on a Hobby site.

I charge my lipo in a baking tin (fireproof) and just keep an eye on it. Having a Charger that won't over charge the battery is key to being safe. Lipo's provide you with thousands of shots. So if you aren't heavy on the trigger, and charge the battery once and awhile you will not need those low-voltage lipo alarms.

I know a guy who got approx 8000 bb's off one lipo stick, one charge before his low-voltage alarm sounded.

HobbyKing.com has really good lipos and many will fit into airsoft applications for a great price.

I want a KongPower lipo battery (mainly because of one of the sizes they sale), but can't seem to find for sale in the states. I see KongPower ads in AI Magazine all the time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm eager to get my hands on my buddies new V4 G&G M14!

From my research I have read this on many topics about the G&G M14, so it's not coming from "one" guy.
I knew at the time I should of logged all this information in a Word document for future reference.

The Veteran version has 7mm x4, 8mm x2 bushings. I can't recall where the 8mm are placed, but it's the gear that needs a larger bushing.
Also the Veteran comes with a M130 spring.
I also read the upgraded air cylinder and cylinder head for outstanding compression.

The regular M14 versions, from what I read, had all 7mm bushings, basic internals, electrical wiring issues and a M110 spring. It's reported that the new M14's have 7mm x4, 8mm x2 bushings, much improved air cylinder, piston, cylinder head for much improved compression.
A regular version will more than likely need a M120-130 spring upgrade, but I've read many times the G&G internally can handle those springs.

both come with the same 6.035mm tightbore inner barrel.

Now I'm basing this decision off the 2010 G&G catalog, I may wait a few more months for G&G to release the next wave of 2010 M14's.
I don't expect much differences internally, but externally there seem to be a couple changes.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I made a decision in the end, based on the merit of how practical each would be in the field. :)

I built it as an EBR and then as a 'Veteran' and then did some basic drills with each format.

After doing some transitions from ready position to different firing positions and then combining this with going prone etc. etc. (did all this in the garage as its 6" deep in snow outside and -15'C ) and then trying the same with it setup as the 'Veteran'.

My findings were -

The EBR is bloody heavy, the empty stock is nearly twice as heavy as the wood one, its also very badly unbalanced, making accurate shooting from either the standing or kneeling position bloody hard work, and uncomfortable, as you have to put your self in what is an awkward position to support the weight of the gun. :-/

The 'Veteran' was lighter, and so easier to control, and firing positions could be held alot longer than with the EBR before I started to get muscle fatigue.

I came to the conclusion that for my style of play, 80% DM 20% sniper, the 'Veteran' is by far the more suited, being light and versatile.

The EBR is far more suited to the roll of static fire support with its weight, pistol grip, adjustable everything and mandatory bi-pod.

Don't get me wrong, I personally love the EBR and if someone released a version that had better balance and perhaps a shade lighter, then I'd get one, but till that day..... Walnut for me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.