Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't do many projects, as I don't paint or put cool stuff all over my rifles... Well, maybe I have been known to accessorise my M28 a little...

With Ranger Customs coming online to provide aftermarket pistons for the M28, I got a spark to pull my M28 out of the corner and do a little work on her. But since I ordered a piston from Ranger Customs, I decided to go ahead and rebuild the rifle to take on the new piston. Along the way, I figured I'd fix my hop-up chamber, since it has been operating far too long with a stripped screw (2-years and going). This rifle could use a good re-seal.

One thing has led to another, and now this has officially become a mild rebuild project. Today was as good a day as any to start, as my new Hop-up chamber arrived from Zephyr Sports...

The barrel had always had some marks and chips in it...

I started the project off by lightly sanding the old paint off of the barrel. Pretty easy to do since these cheap Chinese mass-produced rifles have the junkiest paint known to the production process...

The nooks and crannies will be a pain, but I have time...

Some primer and some black paint used to paint BBQ grills should be a good match for a USGI fieldable rifle, we'll see.

As to the receiver... there is this blank space that will get trades. This rifle will get the Remington trade mark, along with the title of "Model 700 M24." I'll even go as far as to add a ficticious serial number. My wife has a high speed engraver, and says she might be able to get to it this weekend... can't wait!

Again, this is a mild rebuild; new hop-up, new piston, fresh grease, some teflon tape, and a little paint and this rifle will be back in service.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I hope everything turns out as planned man. I've been thinking about getting someone to engrave trades on my CA's receiver also, since HS Precision is already molded into the rubber butt pad, it'll be perfect!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope everything turns out as planned man. I've been thinking about getting someone to engrave trades on my CA's receiver also, since HS Precision is already molded into the rubber butt pad, it'll be perfect!
My wife and I looked it over, and she believes it can be easily done. I'll clean the part good, sand all old the paint off to give her a canvas to work on. I also have a spare receiver from an old WELL MB08 that she can practice on... looking forward to the finished product.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I was looking over the new hop-up I received today, trying to develope a plan of attack. What's to attack right...? Well, the hop-up is one the few proprietary parts on the M28, so I wanted to make sure that everything fits nicely. In this pic you will see the bosses of the hop-up (red circles). These bosses were uneven and had excess flash:

I used an emory board to cut trim and shape the bosses until the two halves of the hop-up fit flush... as flush as they are going to get anyways...

The hop-up, like many of the other parts on these Chinese built rifles, are cast from metal. Pot metal is soft, and very easy to work with, an emory board and about 20-minutes trial and error, and the bosses were polishing out nicely.

The hop-up kit was a little incomplete, but the parts that were missing are present on the original, so no great loss...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This "R-Hop" that players are raving about, is this a purchase part or a do it yourself modification? I have read about the long drawn procedure to make an R-Hop, but I have seen posts of players saying they have bought the R-Hop... are both right?

Seems to me I could benefit from the R-Hop in this point of the build, right...?

·
Administrator
6,266 Posts
You can DIY the R-hop but you'll need to mess around with the materials.
HS5 sells pre cut R/ER/IER-hop nubs and now he even offers installation.

I don't know what kind of material HS5 uses but this is a secret.
You can ask Cheese-Man about it.

Your project looks good... Can't wait to see the trades you plan to engrave!

Wolf

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I tried to get to the HunterSeeker5 website from work, and my internet explorer kept locking up... I will have to look them up when I get home. I did see where our own Cheeseman was listed on the site... but I could not read why because of the IE lock up.

My wife was concerned about the type of material she would be engraving on, and I assured her that pot-metal was almost as soft or softer than aluminum... her high speed engraver should cut through it like a hot knife through butter. I'm going for a look like this:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Another do-it-yourself trick that we all know, but I need some content...

I'm taking the inefficient nozzle, and polishing it to improve air flow. Here was the original nozzle:

And now after getting a more efficient cutting.

I'll use emory cloth to bring the surface to a mirror polish... airflow will see no restriction here, nothing but smooth flowing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got to say the fluted barrel sanded looks pretty cool, you should consider leaving it the way it is :)
I thought about polisjing all of the external serfaces, and giving it the stainless steel look, but decided it was too un-realistic for an M24. Now an M700 build would look perfect. An M700 police version with a stainless heavy barrel would be perfect.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Quick update; I Have stripped the barrel of old cheap paint, and have started priming back with Rustoleum The final color for all parts will be BBQ flat black. The hop-up is complete as far as trimming the 'flash' from the casting process, and all parts fit about as good as they are going to fit. I may coat the hop-up chamber with a shot of flat black, but that remains to be seen... probably not needed.

I have placed an order for a Z-Kit from Hunterseeker5 Armory, as I plan to install an R-Hop into this OEM hop unit... If I do it right, this should be avbout the best improvement I can make for a proprietary M28 chamber. Testing will confirm of course.

My wife has just taken on a wedding. She will be providing all of the calligraphy for 250+ envelopes, so I will have to wait a while longer to get the engraving work done on my receiver.

My new custom piston has not arrived yet, Ranger assures me though, that the materials are in hand, and should be in the hands of his machinist by weeks end... definitely looking forward to this one, as my OEM piston is looking worse for wear after two years.

More as I know it.

Reactions: MiloXC3

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have added a new upgrade item to my build, it is a Danger Werx hop up adjustment arm. Coupled with the r-hop, this new hop up chamber should really be putting out some nice shots. Linkydo:

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?products_id=10190

The process continues...
You might not want to do that... With the R-hop you want to distribute the pressure across the whole patch. With the standard VSR style arm it only puts pressure on one spot. I believe HS5 makes a special arm that doesn't have a nub on it so that you can put the M-nub on it and just use that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might not want to do that... With the R-hop you want to distribute the pressure across the whole patch. With the standard VSR style arm it only puts pressure on one spot. I believe HS5 makes a special arm that doesn't have a nub on it so that you can put the M-nub on it and just use that.
Alright, now I am confused... to operate the R-hop, I need the M-nub and the special arm connected to the hop-up...?

I cannot view all of HunterSeeker5's videos and images here at work, but when I get home I will see what I need to do... This crap is beginning to get complicated.

Installation guide aside, where is the best User Guide? The actual operations guide? I know this is pretty simple, as hundreds of people have done it... I just want it dome right as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Alright, now I am confused... to operate the R-hop, I need the M-nub and the special arm connected to the hop-up...?

I cannot view all of HunterSeeker5's videos and images here at work, but when I get home I will see what I need to do... This crap is beginning to get complicated.

Installation guide aside, where is the best User Guide? The actual operations guide? I know this is pretty simple, as hundreds of people have done it... I just want it dome right as well.
You don't NEED to use the M-nub but it's the nub he designed. The M-nub is what looks to be piece of foam with adhesive on the back and you just stick it on to your hop up arm and it acts as a nub.

Also, you can just modify your standard arm to make it just like the M-nub arm. He just made the arm without the prongs; its completely flat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
What he's saying is you can just file/cut off the two "fangs" on your hop up arm and put a piece of material as a nub. I currently am using a nerf dart foam nub, buthave heard of people using erasers, too. I haven't sanded my fangs off though, jut super glued the nub onto the arm.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
What he's saying is you can just file/cut off the two "fangs" on your hop up arm and put a piece of material as a nub. I currently am using a nerf dart foam nub, buthave heard of people using erasers, too. I haven't sanded my fangs off though, jut super glued the nub onto the arm.
Well, Airsoft GI shipped my hop up arm already, so I probably will not be sanding the nubs off of the $23 arm just yet, but I do have a couple old VSR arms I can use for practice... or I will do like you did and just keep the arms and glue onto the arms anyways...

So I was looking over my barrel. The M28 barrel is different than other VSR-10 barrels, in that the windo has no lower "sill." In the picture you see the stock barrel (brass) and the 6.01 Masamune barrel (silver). Notice the hop up window is clean cut all the way to the end...

Installation and fit should be a snap... performance might be an issue, that remains to be seen.

The M28, always an adventure...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
With the holidays coming on my project seems to be slowing down. I nearly have all of the components I need... I only lack the piston from Ranger Customs. To that, the addition to this project is the receiver with trades freshly engraved...

I'll finsih cleaning it up, then I will prime and paint it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.