Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey yall, First time poster! I currently have a SSG10 with a short outer barrel and Nov suppressor. I ordered a 470mm ML Crazy Jet barrel and ML 202l Autoobot 70 degree to swap out the stock shorter barrel and hop bucking. I also have a Tridos TDC installed as well as the Nov FPS rings. Currently I am getting right at 335 fps with .46s out of the stock configuration.

Questions:

1. Has anyone tried this combo before, and if so how did it go? Any recommendations?
2. What kind of FPS increase should I expect? I know a longer barrel will bump up the FPS slightly.
3. Did I make a mistake ordering the 70 degree 2021 Autobot Vs the 60 degree? I have heard a lot of conflicting input on which works better.

Thanks for any input! If I made any bone head decisions please go easy on me as this is my first SSG10/VSR10.

Camouflage Military camouflage Ballistic vest Cargo pants Military uniform

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
That's a lil long imo, but it shouldn't hurt anything too much.

I don't know what spring you've got, sounds like the M100, but what BBs are you using?

70° 2021 Autobot is the best bucking I've ever used, and I've tried a LOT. 60° normal Autobot isn't actually that good in my experience.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a lil long imo, but it shouldn't hurt anything too much.

I don't know what spring you've got, sounds like the M100, but what BBs are you using?

70° 2021 Autobot is the best bucking I've ever used, and I've tried a LOT. 60° normal Autobot isn't actually that good in my experience.
I'm getting 335 with .462 and know it came with a non cut M150.

Yeah I keep having people swear by the 60 or 70 but the way I figured it the increase in barrel will push me up into the 360s at least and that would be the sweet spot for the 70°... But again I'm a newbie to this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you can always weaken the spring with a lighter if you have to
Yeah true. Have you had experience with the Crazy jet and 2021 Autobot combo? I really like that its the same manufacturer for fitting. I know that there are nicer barrels out there but the crazy jet seems to have a pretty positive outlook.

I had bought a x range bucking and installed it on the stock barrel but learned the hard way that it needs a larger window. Ripped the rubber after the first mag.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I only have used a CJ in my SSX23, and I wasn't too impressed. I wasn't disappointed either, but I'd say it's about the baseline for a barrel.

I recommend that you buy a cheap stainless barrel and lap it, or buy something nice like a Lambda, DaVinci, EdGi, or ESC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I only have used a CJ in my SSX23, and I wasn't too impressed. I wasn't disappointed either, but I'd say it's about the baseline for a barrel.

I recommend that you buy a cheap stainless barrel and lap it, or buy something nice like a Lambda, DaVinci, EdGi, or ESC.
Yeah I will likely end up buying a Lambda eventually. I had one of their AEG barrels a while ago and it was quite good.

Going to test the CJ for a while and see how it is. Its gotta be better than the stock SSG barrel.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Raptor
204 Posts
Yeah I will likely end up buying a Lambda eventually. I had one of their AEG barrels a while ago and it was quite good.

Going to test the CJ for a while and see how it is. Its gotta be better than the stock SSG barrel.
Novritsch does testing on their guns to see what parts make a difference and which ones don't.* Ultimately, they then go with the parts that make the biggest difference in quality while being cost effective. What this means in theory is that stuff that is costly but has little to no impact on performance are not included as part of the package. In practice, I think Novritsch does do this* - but one could argue they use it as justification for skimping out on expensive parts to save cost.

I am in the minority here, but I have found very little improvement in performance by swapping out barrels - especially when you factor in how expensive barrels are. To me, the purchase of a high end barrel makes little sense unless you have money to burn. The only reason my SSG10 has a Crazy Jet is because I had one available, and wanted to convert my SSG10 from short barrel to long (they have been out of stock of long barrels for awhile now due to COVID). When I installed the same crazy jet into my other gun - an M62 with a relatively atrocious barrel - performance went down substantially due to being slightly shorter. So I was better off with the 'trash' stock barrel.

*Somewhere on these forums Nov actually posted this, giving the example that they routinely test a variety of buckings to evaluate performance disparities, and that they've generally found all Maple Leaf buckings perform similarly. They said they've not found something that noticeably outperforms the autobot[?] they use on their guns, and I'm guessing they have a bulk purchase discount setup on autobots, so no reason to change it. I recall (maybe in a video?) Chris mentioning barrels were an item that they didn't find notable performance increases, and while controversial is why they use the the cheaper option that they do. As another aside, I've seen as many people saying the stock ML barrel (the one used in the SSGs) is as good as the Crazy Jet as I've seen people saying the CJ is better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Novritsch does testing on their guns to see what parts make a difference and which ones don't.* Ultimately, they then go with the parts that make the biggest difference in quality while being cost effective. What this means in theory is that stuff that is costly but has little to no impact on performance are not included as part of the package. In practice, I think Novritsch does do this* - but one could argue they use it as justification for skimping out on expensive parts to save cost.

I am in the minority here, but I have found very little improvement in performance by swapping out barrels - especially when you factor in how expensive barrels are. To me, the purchase of a high end barrel makes little sense unless you have money to burn. The only reason my SSG10 has a Crazy Jet is because I had one available, and wanted to convert my SSG10 from short barrel to long (they have been out of stock of long barrels for awhile now due to COVID). When I installed the same crazy jet into my other gun - an M62 with a relatively atrocious barrel - performance went down substantially due to being slightly shorter. So I was better off with the 'trash' stock barrel.

*Somewhere on these forums Nov actually posted this, giving the example that they routinely test a variety of buckings to evaluate performance disparities, and that they've generally found all Maple Leaf buckings perform similarly. They said they've not found something that noticeably outperforms the autobot[?] they use on their guns, and I'm guessing they have a bulk purchase discount setup on autobots, so no reason to change it. I recall (maybe in a video?) Chris mentioning barrels were an item that they didn't find notable performance increases, and while controversial is why they use the the cheaper option that they do. As another aside, I've seen as many people saying the stock ML barrel (the one used in the SSGs) is as good as the Crazy Jet as I've seen people saying the CJ is better.
Yeah this has been the hardest part of upgrading airsoft snipers that I've seen. I am used to making AR15s where there are very distinct differences in parts. Generally with real firearms, you get what you pay for and there is a good amount of quantifiable data to support or disprove.

I'm going to go with the upgraded autobot 70 silicon bucking and cj barrel and see what kind of results I get. I'm also going from a 300mm barrel to a 470 so I am likely to see some sort of change lol

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
In my experience a mid price stainless barrel that doesn't look horrible inside will perform alright. Not to my standards of alright, but to your average airsofter. You see little serious improvement when then getting a Lambda, PDI, or any other barrel save for an EdGi. Where the biggest improvement is to be seen is in lapping, which is essentially what is done to EdGi barrels and why they are so good.
This can be done at home for quite little money and I have a guide, and can make a stock barrel perform better than most any you can buy.

As for the Crazy Jet, I'm fairly certain that ML makes the SSG10 barrel as it's priced like one of theirs, and he definitely uses a Maple Leaf in the SSX23 as it's got their name on it. It isn't a Crazy Jet, but there's never been substantial evidence on if it really does anything, so you could just get the longer inner from him.

Another barrel that is slept on is Action Army, they compare very similarly to a CJ, if not the same or a lil better, so I'd suggest one of them if you can get one. If you do get one, I'd recommend that you get a 6.01 as it'll get you a decent bit more power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In my experience a mid price stainless barrel that doesn't look horrible inside will perform alright. Not to my standards of alright, but to your average airsofter. You see little serious improvement when then getting a Lambda, PDI, or any other barrel save for an EdGi. Where the biggest improvement is to be seen is in lapping, which is essentially what is done to EdGi barrels and why they are so good.
This can be done at home for quite little money and I have a guide, and can make a stock barrel perform better than most any you can buy.

As for the Crazy Jet, I'm fairly certain that ML makes the SSG10 barrel as it's priced like one of theirs, and he definitely uses a Maple Leaf in the SSX23 as it's got their name on it. It isn't a Crazy Jet, but there's never been substantial evidence on if it really does anything, so you could just get the longer inner from him.

Another barrel that is slept on is Action Army, they compare very similarly to a CJ, if not the same or a lil better, so I'd suggest one of them if you can get one. If you do get one, I'd recommend that you get a 6.01 as it'll get you a decent bit more power.
Good to know. I'm going to use the CJ for a while and then go to EDGI eventually I think. Can you do lapping on the CJ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts