Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

After being on this great forum for a while, I have read pages and pages on how to make an airsoft sniper rifle the best it can be. I currently use a highly upgraded Echo 1 ASR as my primary, but using that gun as my base rifle has always left me feeling like I could use better. The ASR has served me great and has held up nicely, but I decided to step it up. After deciding that I like the APS-2 system the best, (due to easily accessible parts, high cylinder air volume, and durable design) I chose to look out for a Maruzen L96. Just my luck, I found Tank in the for sale section of ASF selling his Maruzen L96. I jumped on the opportunity and bought the gun. It is that L96 that has become my project.

The purpose of this thread is to show what the ideas of this forum can create in an airsoft sniper rifle. I am 100% open to suggestions, advice, or possible alternatives to anything. So, without further adieu, here we go and thanks to everyone that is a part of this great forum!

Internals: (As of now)
PDI Type 96 hop up
Prometheus 6.03 550mm TBB
Prometheus hard bucking
Modify barrel spacers
Modify lightweight piston
Modify piston head
Sorbo Pad

Externals: (As of now)
Leapers 3-9X50 Illuminated Scope
Polar Star Type 96 barrel thread adapter (With the little O-ring inside)
King Arms Lightweight silencer, Silent Option Series

3/30/13

So here is how Tank sent it to me... (Thanks Tank!)

The gun came perfectly packaged and I was overall very pleased.

Here is the gun with the externals next to my ASR.

So I knew I would have to change the color of the gun as my field isn't woodland. So before I got the gun, I picked up some Rustoleum paint and primer. (I highly suggest this paint by the way, it bonds to plastic very well)

This morning I started to paint... I can share my guidelines if anyone is interested how I painted the rifle. So here is the stock primed and painted...

Unfortunately I had to stop painting right after as rain started to fall. I will resume tomorrow, though, and get right back at it!

So here is what is on tomorrow's agenda: Paint the outer barrel and plastic pieces (I don't like the cheap reflective black look) components. Fill stock with expandable foam. Upgrade parts are already on their way and will be included soon!

4/1/13

It was raining again today, so I decided on creating the solid foam stock. I went to Home Depot and bought Great Stuff expanding foam. They had a selection of foams that varied in the amount they expanded. I chose the least expanding one. Anyways, I opened up my stock and proceeded to fill the foam in.

The foam was probably the most annoying thing to work with. It took about an hour of cutting and sanding, but I was happy with the way it came out. Tomorrow I'm going to finish the other half of the stock and order the new cylinder set.

4/4/13

Today I had completely finished the foam stock process. It was rather lengthy, but I am happy with the way it came out. The guns balance is surprisingly enhanced and it feels more solid. Hopefully there will be a reduction in vibrations as well.

As for tomorrow, I will be painting the rest of the rifle components and also the screws that hold the rifle together to add contrast. The rifle is ocming along well externally, and I will be posting the "before" part of the accuracy and range testing video soon!

4/21/13

So it has been a while since the last update, but that doesn't mean I'm not still hard at work! The 18th was my birthday and it was then that I got my hands on a PDI Raven Cylinder set. I was really excited for this, but I ran into problems immediately. (Which I have posted questions about on the forum for help) The first problem I ran into was that the hex lip at the end of the cylinder was too big and needed to be shaven down. That was simple, but that was not nearly the end to it. I am not sure what id causing the next problem and I am waiting for replies for a fix! As for now, below is a picture of my completed lower receiver. Also, a PDI SPR 300% and 250% spring along with a PDI 9mm spring guide are on their way in the brown box!

4/25/13

So here is what the exterior of the rifle will look like for the most part. It doesn't show the silencer or the harris bipod, but it is a general idea of what the paint job I did looks like. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Some of the photos aren't showing up! I'm not quite sure how to help you out unless you list the current parts in the gun, range and accuracy, etc., as well as your own personal goals for what you want the gun to be.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of the photos aren't showing up! I'm not quite sure how to help you out unless you list the current parts in the gun, range and accuracy, etc., as well as your own personal goals for what you want the gun to be.
Really? The pictures show up for me... I'll try and fix it ASAP.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I'll fix those last two tonight. Anyways, got a lot done on the rifle today, I'll edit all I did into the post as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you think you could post a parts list? As well as your performance goals for the gun?

Externally, it's all up to you. Hope it turns out well!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think you could post a parts list? As well as your performance goals for the gun?

Externally, it's all up to you. Hope it turns out well!
Definitely, I'll do that tonight.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally, I got the pictures to show. I'm really sorry about the delay on that. Also, the internals and externals are listed. There's a lot more to come! And remember, if anyone has suggestions on something they might want to see, I would love to hear. I will be posting many results and also videos of this gun shooting ,later on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please don't use those bipods on maruzen. They look so cheap and ugly. Buy harris bipods.
I agree, I'll definitely buy a Harris soon. I was thinking the same thing, I like the idea of extra rail space on the stock adapter, but it's not completely functional and an eye sore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I asked about this in your pictures on your profile page as well, but I was wondering how well the spray foam worked? I'm gonna put foam in my stock when I get home from college at the end of the month and I've been debating back and forth between the expanding foam and memory foam. Just wanted your opinion on the how well it silenced the gun.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked about this in your pictures on your profile page as well, but I was wondering how well the spray foam worked? I'm gonna put foam in my stock when I get home from college at the end of the month and I've been debating back and forth between the expanding foam and memory foam. Just wanted your opinion on the how well it silenced the gun.
Hey, I'm sorry I didn't reply to the comment and took so long. Anyways, here is my opinion on the spray foam. My intentions when putting the foam in was to reduce vibrations (Which would also reduce noise made from vibrations) and to have a more solid feeling stock. Well I just finished putting the foam in and let me tell you, it wasn't a fun process in any way. If you choose to go with the spray foam, be prepared. And by all means, WEAR GLOVES. I chose to ignore this and used my bare hands to clean up excess foam and the residue is literally still on my hands and it has been three days. It also requires quite a bit of heavy sanding and I highly recommend a Dremmel if you have access to one. Upon competing the stock, though, I was surprised at how solid the stock feels. I wasn't expecting such a change in feel, but it gave the gun a great balance. As for the reduction in vibrations, I have yet to test this. It's my project gun and and I'm trying to make it perfect and it's taking some time. I'll definitely get a test done within a month, probably next week evenly. When I do so, I will tell you the results! :thumbup:

·
Registered
951 Posts
I filled my stock with clay, to get a realistic feel, weight and less noise.

Be prepared for a work out though haha.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I was thinking of that too. I read around and while I like the extra weight, I don't want to have it not too heavy but not too light, so I went with the foam! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts

Yeah I thought about this too as I saw some in the craft store the other day. But I was worried it would dry up, get hard and rattle around in the stock. What kind of clay did you use and where did you get it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before my own post goes necro, I just want everyone to know what I'm doing in the upcoming week. Thursday is my birthday and a lot of work for my sniper will be done then as I will get money and possibly parts. Right now I'm just waiting on certain upgrades to come in the mail. Soon after I'll post more pictures and update the thread!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To update on the problem that is holding this thread back, I believe that my problem with the new PDI Raven Cylinder is that I need to replace the old spring guide with a PDI one. I have one already on its way in the mail, so hopefully this will put me back on track!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 96 has been under the bed for almost a year now, it's gonna get foam filled today after seeing this build....hehe
How much weight did it add?? With fluted barrel, bipod and light receiver it's already a hefty piece. I'm more intrested in dampening the spring recoil sound

1 - 20 of 33 Posts