Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of you that have seen my 2 other posts, thank you for your help in settling on a rifle (TAC41 it is btw). My new question is about the MK23. I have a TM MK23 with some internal upgrades. But I'm curious how those of you that field it position it on your body for ease of access. With the silencer on its relatively long so I thought across the chest might be a) awkward b) difficult to draw when prone. But on the hip seems like it might get caught on stuff when sneaking through bushes and such. So just curious mostly where yall carry it, and what holsters you use for it. Thanks for all the help everyone, you've been great!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran into this same issue as drop leg is bad, hip is bad, plate carrier is bad, and chest doesn't work with my setup.

In the end, I use each of my guns one at a time.
Mags are too heavy too, can't beat an M4.
Yeah I'm kinda curious how Kicking manages to do it with both his primary and the mk23 but I haven't seen any good pics of his setup. Maybe some weird lower back holster lol?

·
Registered
18 Posts
mustang clip his universal holster at the left side of his chest rig so whenever he go prone his mk23 goes sideways. Anyway if you want it clip onto your chest withdraw your pistol first before you prone most of the time you need to ready your secondary if you have to sneak your enemies.

·
Registered
217 Posts
But I'm curious how those of you that field it position it on your body
It depends from your body type-size & the suppressor size.
If you are a tall guy then you have more options. If you are average-short height, the chest is the most practical place to holster it. If you use the full suppressor length then the best position is the chest.
You must test different positions and see which one is more comfortable-practical for you during games.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Whilst can't help on position to keep it as I'm not a fan of the mk23.

I can suggest that when in a good position take the pistol out of the holster so it's ready to use.

Started doing this with my combat master and find it reduces movement so less likely to be spotted and means quicker access to use it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whilst can't help on position to keep it as I'm not a fan of the mk23.

I can suggest that when in a good position take the pistol out of the holster so it's ready to use.

Started doing this with my combat master and find it reduces movement so less likely to be spotted and means quicker access to use it.
Yeah thats kinda what I figured would be a good gameplan.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The silencer is much too long, so I cut it down to 100mm length and filled it with Scotchbrite and closed cell foam washers. Comparing these two length you don't hear any difference, so 100mm is more than enough. Maybe it doesn't have the same look, but it's much easier to handle and to carry in a high mounted drop-leg.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The silencer is much too long, so I cut it down to 100mm length and filled it with Scotchbrite and closed cell foam washers. Comparing these two length you don't hear any difference, so 100mm is more than enough. Maybe it doesn't have the same look, but it's much easier to handle and to carry in a high mounted drop-leg.
Oh thats a good idea. I'll have to look into that at some point probably. Or maybe just buying a shorter silencer... for those times I want the longer one for whatever reason lol.

·
Registered
399 Posts
A bit late to the party but..

I tried every possible placement of the behemoth the mk23 is over the years, and the "best" (read least shit) one I was comfortable with is under my left armpit, in a cross draw position.
I have a short torso (and legs, and arms, and dick, apparently...) and drawing from the hip is a no go, the suppressor is buried into the ground every time I take a knee (holster mounted on a shooter's belt, so no drop leg), drop legs are just wrong and should have never been born. I even tried mounting it upside down on my butt, very uncomfortable draw and almost impossible to holster.
Armpit carry (or simply strapped to my backpack's shoulder strap) lets me draw and holster from prone without having to reach around, thus reducing movement thus chances of being spotted.

The SSX suppressor is larger than the TM one and it doesn't work nearly as well as the latter, especially when you shorten it. Of course one could redo the internals but so far I haven't been able to find anything that matches the TM suppressor's performance outside of a 3D printed suppressor from Peter, I have the older version and it works VERY well, but for ease of mind (I don't put too much trust in printed parts, no matter how good they are) I went back to the stock TM can.

Regarding holsters, I have both fabric and quick release holsters (DTD Mk23 holster, injection molded) and out of the two, I prefer the fabric one. Doesn't create a lot of unnecessary noise when it bangs against stuff like buckles and holstering/drawing is more comfortable, at least for me!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I tried every possible placement of the behemoth the mk23 is over the years, and the "best" (read least shit) one I was comfortable with is under my left armpit, in a cross draw position.
I have a short torso (and legs, and arms, and dick, apparently...) and drawing from the hip is a no go, the suppressor is buried into the ground every time I take a knee (holster mounted on a shooter's belt, so no drop leg), drop legs are just wrong and should have never been born. I even tried mounting it upside down on my butt, very uncomfortable draw and almost impossible to holster.
Armpit carry (or simply strapped to my backpack's shoulder strap) lets me draw and holster from prone without having to reach around, thus reducing movement thus chances of being spotted.

The SSX suppressor is larger than the TM one and it doesn't work nearly as well as the latter, especially when you shorten it. Of course one could redo the internals but so far I haven't been able to find anything that matches the TM suppressor's performance outside of a 3D printed suppressor from Peter, I have the older version and it works VERY well, but for ease of mind (I don't put too much trust in printed parts, no matter how good they are) I went back to the stock TM can.

Regarding holsters, I have both fabric and quick release holsters (DTD Mk23 holster, injection molded) and out of the two, I prefer the fabric one. Doesn't create a lot of unnecessary noise when it bangs against stuff like buckles and holstering/drawing is more comfortable, at least for me!
Awesome I think I'll look into this. I'm tall and lanky so I might have more options but this one sounds pretty good. Just gotta find the right holster now.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I was reading somewhere on an airgun forum, and they said that 30mm is the quietest diameter for anything not dealing with gunpowder, within a certain caliber range of course.
This is along the lines of with my own findings, where my absolute best suppressor was a traditional funnel/cone baffle suppressor pulled from a Diana Bandit pellet pistol with a thread adapter to 14ccw. This by itself was not too quiet, but I made an extension tube from the cylinder housing on a screen door. This was very thin wall aluminum, you could squish it with your hand, but it had what seemed like powder coating on the outside which likely helped with resonance dampening. This had an ID of 29.97mm so I simply added foam discs and stuffed it over the airgun suppressor. Alone they weren't that awesome, but together they were magical.
I tried this same thing with other variables like a different extension tube or different first stage suppressor with varying success. A different first stage made little to no difference as it just needed to have hard baffles that disrupted the air a lot, but any other material or size extension just wasn't as good as that 29.97mm ID thin walled powder coated aluminum tube. I also tried rubberized paint on the outside of different extensions which helped for some, but I think that the airgun guys are right about 30 mil cans.

Anyway, thought I'd mention that as you seem to have discovered that yourself.
Btw, have you taken a look at the Silverback MK23 can? I heard somewhere(suppressor joke) that it was about as quiet as a TM with maybe new filling, but a good deal shorter than that. I imagine the OD/ID lines up with TM rather well, while it is probably different from the Nov.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I plan on putting mine across my chest with the suppresor pointed toward my left hip (ish)

Mainly because, for when I use my DMRs and I need my MK23, I generally only run my belt for ammo etc.

Edit: Also, hip works with the DTD holster if you angle the gun back a bit with the suppresor behind you. That's how I was running it until I stopped cause my MK23 shoots like booty

·
Registered
734 Posts
Alternatively get a 16mm to 14mm adapter for the mk23 to use shorter silencers instead

Either way though I don't use MK23s exactly because they are so large and unwieldy with little holster support, I just use regular GBB pistols

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It depends on your play style and the field for what pistol would be best, but I find that that MK23 is good for getting a bunch of shots into a group of people, or picking someone away from a close but hidden position.
But, my HPA M4 at .4J higher is quieter than my MK23, a lot more accurate, and the mags don't weigh you down like a piece of cement from the Mafia. All depends on the style, but I really wish that somebody would make a far slimmer pistol that had cheaper and lighter mags, with more durable and precise internals.

Something like a 1911 but with a cooler and more comfortable grip, with a slide that looks like something from H&K but a lot more skinny, and 14mm ccw damn it.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Thats where I keep my big, dumbass revolver. Hooked to the strap of my plate carrier, which is worn for solely that purpose.
Doesnt get in the way too much, but I cant put anything on my belt under it or the barrel hits.

·
Registered
84 Posts
mustang clip his universal holster at the left side of his chest rig so whenever he go prone his mk23 goes sideways. Anyway if you want it clip onto your chest withdraw your pistol first before you prone most of the time you need to ready your secondary if you have to sneak your enemies.
If yer playing as a bush, you just need to have a place to "store" it.
Find a hide and keep it within reach.
Even if you are stalking, you use it as the primary.

I have one coming in and I am leaning to whatever I can conjure up that will half ass keep it secure

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I think that if you primary it you should be better off, as carrying it in your hands should be pretty good. With a number of mags on you, maybe 4 or more, you should be doing really well if you don't dump 10 rounds into each guy.
I suggest that you just shoot it a LOT. Get a propane adapter from amazon, like $15, and a kilo or two of cheap .30g, and just go crazy at different ranges so you can master the trigger and fast follow up shots.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts