Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought 5 SSX23 mags(broke one) and now a gun with another brand of mag, I am now curious about power readings with other people's mags.

My readings were 223, 244, 272, and 281 FPS with a .30g BB from the Novritsch mags.
From my new gun I got 309 FPS with a .30g BB.
The gun was set to hop .30g with a 60* old style Autobot with no sealing mods, a 6.04X144mm inner barrel, on propane with no suppressor. I took 20 slow shots and averaged them to get these numbers.

I'll be experimenting on one mag to try and boost power, but I was wondering what I can do to do that, and what your mags read for power and your test setup and variables.

· Registered
240 Posts
@SiliconeSword Long time since I chrono my ssx23. I remember for sure that I kept it ~270ft/sec / ~0.7j (2021's version mags) and not increase the power. As I wanted it mainly for extremely close engagements not to cause "pain".

· Registered
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I go right up to my field limits to get the most out of my gun, but I will get lower power when I switch back to propane. I ran out in my grill tank, torch tank, and other 1 pound tanks, so I had to use HPA. With the modifications I should be at like 310 on a .28g which is good, but closer to 1.5J. probably will happen when I buy some more .40g because of the joule creep in gas guns.
Font Technology Screenshot Darkness Terrestrial plant

· Registered
15 Posts
@SiliconeSword Long time since I chrono my ssx23. I remember for sure that I kept it ~270ft/sec / ~0.7j (2021's version mags) and not increase the power. As I wanted it mainly for extremely close engagements not to cause "pain".
I get that. But at the same time this kind of stuff has the effect of creating a code of honor, instead of people getting proper protection. And not everyone will be following it, as some will play closer to the limit as guns perform better. This in turn can easily create an environment where there's people pulling into different directions, causing discord, which has effects like not respecting others as a player. "This guy shot me at 1.5J, goddamn it hurt. Why's he doing it? I know I'm not doing it." -- this stuff will happen guaranteed, despite the shooter being within allowed limits. It's just basic human nature. It feels unfair. But lack of respect or feelings of unfairness in turn lowers the bar for unethical gameplay, such as people not calling their hits.

It might seem hyperbole, but you're creating two sets of standards here with your actions. If you want to play at 0.7J for some reason, then by all means do so -- but you probably shouldn't mention it around the field. Different standards can easily have these kinds of results, because the standards here involve pain and defeat. These two particular things (when combined) have a high chance of causing a reaction. I'm sure this isn't your goal though, and your initial approach definitely comes from a good place.

If I were a field owner there, I'd specifically encourage everyone to get protective gear and to tune their guns appropriately. Build it into the field culture. You get far fewer instances of weird or bad behaviour when everyone is on the same page. It just leads to better games and a more positive mood overall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts