Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever tried a mock suppressor (MS) conjoined with an inner barrel which peeks only slightly out of the outer barrel? (i.e. outer barrel takes 500mm inner barrels, the actual inner barrel is 509mm, MS= 200mm.)

What are the performance changes, if any at all? Accuracy, fps, sound, etc.

I'd rather figure out the answer to my curiosity from others' experiences/knowledge rather than buying a MS and testing it out :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
From my experience, mock suppressors will never actually, 'surpress', your rifle; they are purely for the, 'tacticool', look on your rifle.
I have tried a longer inner barrel in a smaller outer barrel, all you have to make sure is that the supressor will fully cover the inner barrel which is sticking out the end of the outer. The only downside to this is that you will always have to have your supressor attached to the rifle otherwise you will have your inner barrel sticking out the front of the rifle making it susceptible to damage and your rifle will look incredibly stupid.
The only performance change you will really get is the one's created by the barrel itself. i.e. you will get your increased accuracy and fps via the length, bore and diameter of the barrel, but the supressor will only serve to make the rifle look visually better, and may make a slight difference on the sound of the rifle, but not by much.
Have you ever heard a TM G-spec without it's supressor attached? It sounds almost exactly the same, meaning there isn't really any need for a mock supressor in airsoft as you are not suppressing the expanding gas which pushes a bullet out of a barrel to hit it's target.
However, saying all of that, I have heard of people who have brought mock suppressors and have modified them to have suppressing qualities of RS suppressors. Although depending on where you live, the law on modifying/owning a supressor which possesses suppressing qualities changes. As in California, I am aware that owning a supressor which isn't licensed can land you 11 years in jail, and if you have modified your supressor to posses these qualities then you have no defence so it's probably a good idea to let the supressor, if you wish to purchase one, stand as a 'tacticool' add on to your rifle.

Hope this has cleared some stuff up, any more questions just let me know!

Zero

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, that confirms my belief.

I'm also wondering if the airflow will have a noticeable affect if the inner barrel is 509mm, outer barrel accepts 500mm, and the MS is 200mm ... 700mm total.

So in other words, there's 191mm of free space from the end of the inner barrel to the opening of the mock suppressor. I'd assume that this open cavity in the mock suppressor acts as a large bore barrel and therefore will affect the flight of the BB a little even if it's hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ill be honest and say that I do not have a clue! :L In my opinion, I don't think that the airflow would affect the flight of the bb much, if any, and I don't really think that the suppressor acting as a large bore barrel will do much, if anything at all either. As before I suspect all performance will be from the barrel it'self, not the suppressor. I shoot RS and IF, we use a suppressor, then we fire a few shots if the flight path of the projectile HAS changed, and adjust as once the suppressor is on, it stays on. So if you do have a longer inner barrel, then you are obviously going to leave the supressor on so you would just adjust your aim. However again, this is airsoft and the guns will never be as accurate as their RS counterpart so we have to naturally adjust our aims all the time anyway. So to conclude in my honest opinion, I really don't think that the suppressor and free space will make much, if any, difference at all.

Zero

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your incite :shot:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have read somewhere that when using a gas sniper some people have had a drastic effect on their accuracy when they put on their silencer, and others have had no effect.

My guess is that it all depends on the volume of air that is used to push the bb down the barrel. i know with most aegs and spring snipers the cylinder never pushes out to much air. But some gas guns can push out more air then is actually needed to get the bb out of the barrel. Therefor having a negative effect on the bb as it flies through the suppressor. the air must be hitting the sides of the suppressor and reflecting back in causing turbulence inside the suppressor.

But that's just my guess

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.