Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm rather new but introductions aside.
You fine folks seem to know a thing or 2 about ghillie suits here's my predicament.

I have your standard generic ghillie suit (the same one in the picture, the picture makes it look a lot less floofy then it really is I promise!)

But you see I wear glasses so I need to wear goggles or just have shit vision. The netting was getting really annoying so I cut it off, but wearing goggles is getting annoying with the ghillie suit as well, and the head piece is just cumbersome and annoying. Is there anyway I can modify the head piece to be functional without covering my face and have it look decent? Kind of have the idea to just cut the face part off and stick a boonie hat in there or something but I'm not sure. Ideas?

·
Registered
856 Posts
You could start one from scratch, maybe a Viper hood. All you will need is burlap, Ghillie netting (depending on your build/size), a mud bath, and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could start one from scratch, maybe a Viper hood. All you will need is burlap, Ghillie netting (depending on your build/size), a mud bath, and a lot of patience.
Don't have time, money, or patience! I'd be nice to just use parts from the ghillie I have

·
Registered
193 Posts
Guys,stop buying useless things.
If you can't afford to buy/build proper stuff, it is not reason to waste your money and time for crap.
Useless gear is so useless...

Reactions: Grande

·
Registered
365 Posts
if you don't have the time or patience to make a propper ghillie, then you get what you pay for. The best "premade" ghillie I've seen are some of the russian ones, but the regular storebought ones are rubbish.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Making a ghillie really doesn't have to take that long. You don't have to sew the netting down, and can always just glue the netting to the BDU. This can take all of one hour tops for the entire suit, including the cutting of the netting to size and the actual glueing process.

From there, you don't even have to destring jute or cut burlap. Simply tie some rubber bands into the suit and attach natural vegetation. You will have so much more success with that than you ever will with a store bought suit. they just aren't natural enough to do any effective camouflage shit. Due to the material, they don't wear in like natural jutes do, and in my opinion, are a crutch on the field.

Check out how actual snipers in the military make their suits. Depending on the terrain, the amount of jute they actual use on their suit is so few that its basically all vegetation. A suit like that is easy to make and does not take much time.

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
If you are still for modding your existing suit, cut the hood completely off and sew it to a boonie hat where you need it. This will take time.

There is no true quick ghillie builds, you either shell out for a pre-made suit which generally suck massively, you build you own, or you find a local that builds ghillies and see if he could make you one.

Ultimately its you are still going to shell out cash, and spend a bit of time with what ever option. I think at this point my suggestion is probably the best as far as recycling and making what you have work. Effectiveness is a different story.

You may need to add some rods to the boonie if it bends the rim down into your face.

That's my 2-bits.

EDIT: Also make sure you make an intro post in the New Members section. Tis a rule. No body likes rule breakers. So don't be one!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a crappy store-bought ghillie suit as well. I plan on building my own eventually, but I have to use it for now. I also cut off the netting, but that solved my issue, and it doesnt get in my face anymore, its more of a detachable hood.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just bought a Boonie hat today and might try my hand at mending the suit tomorrow!

And what can you say, I'm a rebel! The system doesn't control me, man! (AKA I didn't know it was a rule and I'll post there now :p)

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Good luck. Let us know if it works.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Problem with that type of suit is it will pick up loose branches etc and you end up carrying half a forest with you, artificial jute will look artificial and if you compare your suit with lets say something that has pieces of burlap/hessian on then you have little to none structure you cant belly crawl in one (try 50 meters and you'll see why).

I'd use a sewing machine to sew some random pieces of fabric/burlap/camo net to give it some variation. Make sure you use colors that are found in your neck of the woods or it'll be even worse. Don't worry about it if you cant sew, it's not THAT important, but it will cut your suit prep time a little.

Focus on attaching vegetation on to your suit. Artificial jute will at best look like wet noodles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright so first thing this morning I modified the annoying hood!
This is what I started with, standard store bought ghillie with the mesh over the face pre removed (it was reflecting off the sun and very annoying)

I got to work this is what I had to work with: the ghillie mask, a boonie, a pair of kitchen scissors, and hot glue. (I have 0 sewing skills :p)

First thing I did was cut the bottom of the mask in half. Since I was cutting right through 2 jute seams I put a few beads of hot glue on the severed ends to keep them in place. I also cut the paracord on the inside as it would no longer be of use

Next I cut off the ugly top part of the mask where there was no jute attached

I ran the severed paracord into the holes on the side of the boonie to keep it snug while I glued it. Surprisingly I didn't have to cut off any of the boonie or reinforce the boonie, I honestly would've thought I would have to.

No pictures on gluing, but that's boring anyway! Here's the final product:

What do you guys thing, any suggestions?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good idea! Might be the next project I do with this ghillie. Got any picture references or other things I can go by?

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Look at that! Lookin some what more respectable!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Take a wire brush to it roughen up those strands a bit. also a can of kryon or other spray and try and add a bit more colour texture, there looks to be too much light thread in there. But match it to your local veg as well as adding some vegetation loops

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take a wire brush to it roughen up those strands a bit. also a can of kryon or other spray and try and add a bit more colour texture, there looks to be too much light thread in there. But match it to your local veg as well as adding some vegetation loops
Might try the wire brush thing. My problem with the colors are that I play in 2 places: 1. A green park (where official games are held) 2. a dry dead strip of land on the outskirts of town (mostly where my friends and I get together and play) so painting it either way would degrade one field and benefit the other. Also, how do you make vegetation loops? I can't sew so what should I try?

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are 2 options here . . .
1. Learn to sew, and sew on green/tan hairbands.
2. Continue to say "I can't sew," and glue on some green/tan hairbands.

I don't care what you think, sewing is NOT a girl-only thing. I'm a senior in high school too, and I sucked it up and learned how to sew a few years ago. Now, I have an awesome homemade ghillie suit, and no one is laughing at me now :D

Given, you don't need to BRAG that you can sew, or even need to sew very well/prettily. Despite what all your friends tell you, it is a worthwhile skill to learn. Like sharpening pencils, or tying your own shoes ;)

EDIT: The hairbands will allow you to add LOCAL veg, which can be replaced/swapped out when you go to the other field. And don't forget the holy ratio . . .
Add vegetation. A ghillie is 60% veg, 39% jute/burlap, and 1% bugs and crap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Never said I'm embarrassed to sew, just don't know how/have sewing supplies, I was actually thinking of having my friend teach me to sew. Might have to pick up some of those hair ties though and just glue them on or maybe by then I'll know how :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts