Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
41 - 60 of 172 Posts

· Registered
481 Posts
I run 430mm with .48g and 2.3j, with no problems. It's not perfectly tuned but it's within tolerances - a point to mention is that I do run a super-tightbore Edgi and that has been posited to affect efficiency so that could indeed be a factor.

As a suggestion......you could......as an option, get someone to professionally cut your barrel down and re-crown it. That might well be cheaper than a replacement......I can't remember if 1tonne covered BBs of the heavier weights that we use more frequently these days, but the trend was that heavy weights required shorter barrels for optimal results - possibly even down to 370mm for a .48g but those figures were for an AA cylinder. You could certainly balance piston weight to achieve more efficiency (although you seem to have plenty of power) if your piston is particularly light but volume mismatch will absolutely kill accuracy.

· Registered
3,721 Posts
I'd have the barrel cut down to 410-440mm.
I think that a bit undervolumed is fine, but 180mm longer that recommend is a lot.
I think that at high power the barrel ratio stuff matters less, and with varying piston weight, cylinder volume, and nozzle hole diameters it will change it even more I bet. I think that 370 with a .48g is a little short, especially with a 6.01, so I'd do 390mm at the minimum, with the suggested lengths above likely being better.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
So guys.

Current config of my VSR:

• PDI 6.01 500mm with enlarged window
  • Maple Leaf Autobot 80 deg/ Maple Leaf Mr Hop 85 (mounted Mr)
  • Action Army chamber
  • CNC Panther Nub/ Omega hard rubber nub from Maple Leaf (mounted Omega)
  • full set from polish “bart_a” made on CNC, carefully polished by famous Dexter : piston, cylinder, cylinder head & nozzle, spring guide, spring, 90 deg. trigger
  • one inner barrel stabilizer – propably AA
  • VSR-10 G-SPEC TM as base
  • 3.7J using 0.48g on setted Hop Up (currently)

What guys you will reccomend to repair this config for best possible performance. You may suggest as many changes as possible. Barrel 500 --> 430. What diameter 6.01 or 6.03? Sth more? I need to do some plan. Maybe I will sell barrel and replace it with shorter one, but I need full plan with no more fuck ups. What I want? 3+J and BEST possible accuracy with no compromises.

· Registered
3,721 Posts
I'd say that all you really have left is try shortening the inner barrel, which may not change much, try my nub, which may do something, and sort your BBs, which will be the biggest thing I'd bet.

I think we're both running out of things to do on our guns and have gotten really close to what airsoft is capable of, as it seems like your gun is probably better than 95% of what the users here have.

· Registered
481 Posts
Yeah, 370mm was extrapolating from the current data, it could well be too short - and I'm not cutting down my Edgi to find out :) If I get a chance I'll dig out an old barrel.

Other than that Kociec, you might fancy a TDC? It's probably not essential with your current rig but it's there as an option. Any chance you can get hold of a slightly cheaper barrel if you're unsure about cutting down the PDI? I'd be wary about taking the plunge too.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yeah, 370mm was extrapolating from the current data, it could well be too short - and I'm not cutting down my Edgi to find out :) If I get a chance I'll dig out an old barrel.

Other than that Kociec, you might fancy a TDC? It's probably not essential with your current rig but it's there as an option. Any chance you can get hold of a slightly cheaper barrel if you're unsure about cutting down the PDI? I'd be wary about taking the plunge too.
I think about buying LayLax 6.03 430mm. Is it good idea? 500mm 6.01 PDI to sell...

· Registered
481 Posts
Ah mate, don't put me on the spot regarding sales - I like to keep hold of too much gear! Laylax makes fine barrels, PDI are (IMO) better. If you can live with a cheaper barrel to see if a shorter length makes a difference, then you could keep the PDI and have it cut later on potentially. I think Action Army manufacture both a 6.03 and a 6.01mm barrel at 430mm, as do Maple Leaf - and they should be a lot cheaper......£45 for a 6.04mm crazy jet, £40 for the 6.03 Action Army, and £44 for the 6.03mm, compared to £55 for the Laylax.

I wouldn't be too quick to sell the PDI - they are lovely.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Ah mate, don't put me on the spot regarding sales - I like to keep hold of too much gear! Laylax makes fine barrels, PDI are (IMO) better. If you can live with a cheaper barrel to see if a shorter length makes a difference, then you could keep the PDI and have it cut later on potentially. I think Action Army manufacture both a 6.03 and a 6.01mm barrel at 430mm, as do Maple Leaf - and they should be a lot cheaper......£45 for a 6.04mm crazy jet, £40 for the 6.03 Action Army, and £44 for the 6.03mm, compared to £55 for the Laylax.

I wouldn't be too quick to sell the PDI - they are lovely.
Lovely..but too long. And I don't wanna cut it. I would rather sell it than cut.

· Registered
481 Posts
Up to you mate, just trying to offer some opinions/options (y) One of the crazy things I just noticed is that Maple Leaf makes one barrel for the VSR which is over 600mm.....madness!

They also, more sensibly, make a 6.02mm 430mm for £30.....lapped and polished that has to be a good option without spending loads of cash?

· Registered
3,721 Posts
I'd try to get the cheapest barrel you can get, and cut that down yourself.
Then once you find the length with the best power, find out the volume, and find out how long your PDI would have to be to match that volume, and add another 10-20mm.
Then cut the PDI to that length and crown it(or pay somebody) and you should be set.

I wouldn't sell the PDI unless you are going to buy a DaVinci, EdGi, or ESCW barrel as anything else will be a major downgrade, especially since your barrel is lapped.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So guys what range of ratio will be ok for 0.48bbs and 3.3-3.5J? Any freaky tech guy can help? Today evening I will calculate my crafted cylinder Volume and need to know what I should aim for :)

· Registered
481 Posts
So guys what range of ratio will be ok for 0.48bbs and 3.3-3.5J? Any freaky tech guy can help? Today evening I will calculate my crafted cylinder Volume and need to know what I should aim for :)
Test it mate.

Mr. Sword has offered options, I've offered options so really it comes down to doing some work and reading, then hitting the Chrono. As suggested, start with a barrel you don't mind cutting down and crowning yourself, then work back from 440mm or so in 10mm increments until you get where you need to be.

wouldn't sell the PDI unless you are going to buy a DaVinci, EdGi, or ESCW barrel as anything else will be a major downgrade, especially since your barrel is lapped.
This. This 100% all day.

6.01 vs 6.03 vs 6.05 or 5.98 really comes down to chasing that final 1% so I absolutely wouldn't worry about buying a new barrel as your "forever" barrel. Keep the PDI, do some experiments on a cheaper barrel and when you do find out the correct length (it really will come down to the figures quoted above unless I miss my guess, AND Mr. Sword misses his......) then have your rather nicer PDI cut and crowned professionally. Yes, it requires a little work on your part, but that's part of the sniping experience if you really want to be precise.

Anecdotally, when I initially bought a VSR (when they were very first released) I had the Marui Enhanced hop chamber and a simple 6.05mm 430mm barrel with the stock bucking - that thing shot like an absolute laser.......certainly capable of landing all my shots on an A4 target at 70m. My VSR today has an AA chamber with Tridos TDC, Edgi dual bore 430mm barrel and I wouldn't say that it's a massive improvement over my first build....it IS better but not by much......don't get caught up chasing the infinite, just exert a little effort then get out there and enjoy yourself.

· Registered
576 Posts
One issue is that no one knows the ratios for 5.98mm barrels as they are a magnitude more air efficient than a 6.03. Tighter the barrel the less air can escape round the BB.

5.98mm barrels are only starting to become more available/common and no one has had the money to spare on one to cut down.

With that said if siliconesword says something about a vsr build I would take his word. He is a bit of a vsr mastermind.

· Registered
481 Posts
One issue is that no one knows the ratios for 5.98mm barrels as they are a magnitude more air efficient than a 6.03. Tighter the barrel the less air can escape round the BB.

5.98mm barrels are only starting to become more available/common and no one has had the money to spare on one to cut down.

With that said if siliconesword says something about a vsr build I would take his word. He is a bit of a vsr mastermind.
I Was about to say "Challenge Accepted" but then I thought -no :cool:

Perhaps when the ESW barrels are released but honestly, I'm not convinced a perfectly-tuned 5.98mm is going to be much better than the one I currently have, and frankly, I'm not so invested that I would lose sleep.

As far as the OP - if you follow 1tonnes data then the established trend points towards a shorter barrel than 400mm for .48 and .5g BBs BUT I don't have any empirical evidence to support that theory, it's just an educated guess based on the evidence we do have. It could absolutely be inaccurate........but if I can dig out an old barrel I'm happy to chop that down from 430mm, incrementally to 300mm using .48s to see if the theory holds water.

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Without going into details I have option to replace PDI 500mm 6.01 for brand new PDI 430mm 6.01 by exchange without paying. Do you think this move will be good enough to end topic of barrel length and no playing without many cuttings by 10mm per one and doing many crowns and spending $ for every single service (I have no as specialized tools). I dont wanna to make it perfect and cutting milimeter by milimeter trying to find best possible length with 1mm accuracy, but have a optimal +/-2-3 cm length and good enough ratio.

Doctor Jest you and most of VSR users use 430mm, right? Its te most common choice for standard VSR config? :)

· Registered
576 Posts
I Was about to say "Challenge Accepted" but then I thought -no :cool:

Perhaps when the ESW barrels are released but honestly, I'm not convinced a perfectly-tuned 5.98mm is going to be much better than the one I currently have, and frankly, I'm not so invested that I would lose sleep.

As far as the OP - if you follow 1tonnes data then the established trend points towards a shorter barrel than 400mm for .48 and .5g BBs BUT I don't have any empirical evidence to support that theory, it's just an educated guess based on the evidence we do have. It could absolutely be inaccurate........but if I can dig out an old barrel I'm happy to chop that down from 430mm, incrementally to 300mm using .48s to see if the theory holds water.
The thing with 5.98mm is you won't gain any accuracy (assuming volumes are correct Vs any other bore and quality is equal) but you will gain efficiency so a lower power spring will work.

· Registered
481 Posts
Without going into details I have option to replace PDI 500mm 6.01 for brand new PDI 430mm 6.01 by exchange without paying. Do you think this move will be good enough to end topic of barrel length and no playing without many cuttings by 10mm per one and doing many crowns and spending $ for every single service (I have no as specialized tools). I dont wanna to make it perfect and cutting milimeter by milimeter trying to find best possible length with 1mm accuracy, but have a optimal +/-2-3 cm length and good enough ratio.

Doctor Jest you and most of VSR users use 430mm, right? Its te most common choice for standard VSR config? :)
Yeah, that seems to be the most common choice.It's darn close to optimal :)

41 - 60 of 172 Posts