Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating the feasibility of taking my aging Well MB05 and turning it into a complete overhaul project gun. One of the many things I want to replace is the cheap plastic stock with something completely new and better than any high quality rifle stock.

I am planning on carving a design out of a layered block of high density and rigid foam and then coating the foam stock in fiberglass sheeting and an epoxy bonding agent. I would take the metal parts from the old stock and incorporate them into the new one by permanently attaching them during the fiber-glassing process. If I don't need special(expensive) tools it should be relatively easy and inexpensive since the materials shouldn't be expensive.

I just need to know what the proper materials and fiber-glassing process. Carving the stock out will be easy, but fiber-glassing it properly may be difficult so I need some tips, tricks, and a guide perhaps.

Please help, it will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bobgengeskahn said:
if you are going to work with fiberglass be sure to set up at least a decent vacuum bag rig to make sure its good quality.
I was thinking to do the same thing. I don't know how to make one though. If you know how to make one could you tell me how?

Anyway, I want to have a fiberglass shell and a foam core. Will that work or do I need to make a mold?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Vampyre (Immortal) said:
bobgengeskahn said:
if you are going to work with fiberglass be sure to set up at least a decent vacuum bag rig to make sure its good quality.
I was thinking to do the same thing. I don't know how to make one though. If you know how to make one could you tell me how?

Anyway, I want to have a fiberglass shell and a foam core. Will that work or do I need to make a mold?
Working with fiberglass is essentially the same as working with carbon fiber, and there are a ton of videos on youtube on working with carbon fiber since carbon fiber is the new fad, especially with car parts. I would post up a video, but I'm at work at the moment and my computer crashes if I try to load youtube with my work programs at the same time. There are some minor differences working between the two, carbon fiber requires more care, different cutting etc.

Vacuum bagging a rounded surface can be difficult, forming fiberglass on a curved surface is difficult in general. Forming it is like working with paper meche (sp?), and if you're not careful it will come out looking like paper meche. To get a smooth surface you have to literally squeeze out the excess resin between the layers as you lay each layer on. Once you have the desired number of layers you vacuum bag it. Vacuum bagging will get all of the air pockets out from between the layers as it cures. If you let it bake at about 150F for the curing it will cure faster, depending on the resin you use.

As far as the construction of a vacuum bag, it's pretty basic. Some guys will literally use a heavy garbage bag and tie it to a vacuum with a hose clamp. Other methods would include using a vacuum table or a modified tabletop to either suck the air out through the bottom or suck it out the sides and pull the bag agianst the table.

Now, forming fiberglass on foam I'm not so sure about. If the foam is able to absorb the resin as you are laying the layers down, that could be bad since you need the resin to harden the fabric. The other option would be a hard 2 part mold and putting the two halves together and filling it with foam after (i.e. foam in a can). However, since a stock is difficult to do in one part and combining two halves would be rather difficult for what you are doing, I would say that your best bet would be to go with some kind of solid core in the first place and forming over that. If you are using a dense foam this might not be an issue, but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok cool. Anyway In the long run I plan to eventually selling the rifle after I got a lot of good use from it. So what do you all think the sale value of a custom stock like this would be? I plan on replaving all the internals, but would I also need to replace external parts too in order to eventually sell it for a good price?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Custom stocks tend to be difficult to get a solid price for, no doubt that it'll go for a lot but it's mostly down to how well it's made and the condition of it when you sell (even if you make a really strong M40A3 stock, not as many people will want to buy it if it's been abused badly)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I would would need to use it sparingly then. I'm also working on my Ares Aw338 so once that's done I'll only be using my custom rifle a few times to work out the kinks, Then I'll show it off for a while on th MI forum and keep it on display in my room. I don't plan on putting it through abuse.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool I'm going to use the fiberglass method to make a new stock because I can't do much with the MB05 stock.

I'm thinking of combining details from different Sniper Rifles to give it a completely custom look and feel. It will look a little like a M40A3 on the fore-grip a bit like a L96 with a thumb-hole grip and a little bit like the MB05's shoulder stock because I'm going to use the cheek rest and adjustable shoulder pad from it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Could you post a concept sketch, or put up some pictures when its finished? I've been thinking of doing something like that with my SVD. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.