Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Metallica, if you have nothing to add to a thread, and are only going to spew out useless posts, please think twice about responding at all. I see no harm in this question, especially since there are a few members here who should have some good input.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I agree with Metallica to be honest......

But to help out a little bit...... Go to google and do a TON OF RESEARCH! There is much more that goes into making a stock than you propbaly think. Go get as many pictures as you can and go from there.

Then figure out what you want to use as a build.... Wood, Fiberglass, the original stock, or what have you. I am sorry if it sounds harsh, but it sounds like you haven't done any of the homework for this project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done alot research on this but I keep finding just crap that doesnt help me at all. I know what goes into making a stock and it takes a long time.I asked Hoggie about it and he said that I should go here for questions. I s thier any websites that you can buy these from I saw one on airsoftatlanta but they no longer have it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Rules guys....

2 - If you want to tell someone to do a search, you must also provide an answer to their question. If you cannot, then do not post on the topic. Brief responses only saying to do a search will be deleted.
I'll agree with woogie on this one, you should do some more research on how this is done before just starting a topic. However, IMO, I would shape it out of a dense foam since it's easy to work with. Cut it in half to shape the internal parts for the trigger group and then coat the exterior with a fiberglass or epoxy shell to hold it together. Is this a BASR or a gas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just trying to make my VSR 10 a new stock. And I have done aton of research on this and I was going to get the forttres M40A3 stock but they stopped making it or something. What would you use to shape foam and where would you get fiberglass at.

·
Registered
807 Posts
15 sec. on Google got me this: http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-stocks-tactical-stock-list.php#m40a1
Most/all of the dimensions you will need for an airsoft build will be in there.

To shape foam you use the same tools as you would to shape wood, i.e. knives, sand paper etc, just remember its easier to make something smaller than it is to make it bigger.

You can get fiberglass from almost anywhere. A lot of marine shops have it since its most common on boats for repair. I would get it at Tap Plastics, but thats just because I have 2 shops near me. Same goes for the epoxy resin, although its more common than fiberglass sheet, so you could probably get that at hardware stores even.

·
Registered
807 Posts
FYI, filling the foam with resin will make it very heavy depending on the kind of foam. What you really want is a shell. Adding the fiberglass will minimize the amount of resin that gets into the foam and give it a super hard shell at a lighter weight than just coating the foam with resin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never posted this in the VSR section.
The only problem with the fiberglass is that in michigan fiberglass is kind of hard to get and is pretty expensive. How would you make a shell of resin.(If you havn't noticed yet I don't know much about resins and fiberglass.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
There is a ton to know about resins and fiberglass, so don't sweat it, just do some research. Youtube is a good place to start, just search for something like "custom + fiberglass" and take notes on key phrases and stuff you don't recognize.

There really is no way to make a "resin shell", since resin is the bonding agent in composites. All that fiberglass or Carbon fiber or kevlar is, is a fabric that you can saturate in glue (like paper meche you did in pre-school) and let dry in a vacuum mold or vacuum bag. Using the same epoxy resin on foam would harden it once it dried, but it would absorb into the foam without something being there to act as a barrier.

Another option would be vacuum forming, completely different process, but it would result in a plastic stock, lighter and more like the factory ones you can buy.

I would recommend PMing Vindi for some pointers on this stuff since his actual job is working with polymers and plastics. He could give you some good insight into how all of this is done and what would work best for you given your tools and situation; hes also done a ton of his own work on VSRs, so it would be worth seeing if he might even have a connection on an actual M40A3 stock.

Also, on another forum I saw a thread talking about converting RS stocks to fit airsoft

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.