Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -
New to airsoft. I need a training rifle and thought an airsoft rifle would work well since the bb's wouldn't exit my property. I'd like to buy a rifle that shoots greater than 550 fps - now whether that means spring or gas powered rifle I don't know.

What I want to avoid is buying a rifle that isn't upgradable to attain my goals.

Specs:
1. Reliable (so that I can train as much as I want)
2. 550 fps + (heavier bb's the better)
3. Upgradable
4. Picatinny type scope rail so that I can transfer one of my tactical scope directly onto the rifle.

Any & all ideas are welcome - thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Well, you came to the right place :) I would recommend a bolt action rifle, with some nice sears/trigger set. I would recommend one of the "big 3"... L96, VSR 10, or APS 2. These are easily upgradable and very reliable with their upgrades. Do some looking, and see what style you like, and we'll help you out from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I'm suggesting a TM VSR-10. But with a .4 or .36 you are definitely not going to get 550 fps. FPS is measured with a .2 gram bb. Also the vsr10 is probably the most upgradeable rifle. You may be able to transfer over an optic easily, but it will definitely not be sighted in correctly.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY please go make an intro post, and read all forum rules. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
1. Not to be a troll, but please make an intro post, just go here.

2. It sounds like you're in the right place for what you're looking for and if you have decided that you need to go with airsoft. There are quite a few real steel shooters here as well that can help you if that is what you area training for. However, first just a few questions before you get started looking.

1. What are you training for? 3-gun, comp shooting, action pistol etc.?
2. What are you trying to focus on with airsoft? Trigger control, breathing, grouping etc?
(the reason for this is because if you are trying to make groupings, you will probably just get very frustrated with airsoft the way it is today)

Edit:

dingo said:
I'm suggesting a TM VSR-10. But with a .4 or .36 you are definitely not going to get 550 fps. FPS is measured with a .2 gram bb. Also the vsr10 is probably the most upgradeable rifle. You may be able to transfer over an optic easily, but it will definitely not be sighted in correctly.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY please go make an intro post, and read all forum rules. Thank you.
Dingo, you typed faster than I did
, and also, it is possible to get 550 with a .3/.4. My ASR makes about 460 with 0.43s. Granted, at that power there are other upgrades you MUST make that don't usually get made, but it is possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
awagg said:
If you do the work, you can get your fps very high. Air rifles get around 1000-1200 feet/sec, and they last for a long while if you do your maintenance.
True... but if he wanted an air rifle, I'd assume hed get an air rifle
. The other thing is that depending on his yard size an air rifle might be over kill to practice with since, like you said, they can shoot hard, not to mention that my Gamo sounds just like a .22Lr.

The only problem with getting a springer to that speed will be making sure you dont snap your bolt handle in short order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys -

I have a porch that I can lie down on and angle my shots towards the back fence. I'd like to nail up a metal pie tin up on the fence post and ring away.
For days that I can't make it to the range and I want to get 15-20 minutes of trigger time & work on my technique.

Of course I'd like something accurate as I'm used to my tactical rigs shooting 1/2 MOA or better - however it sounds like I might be asking a lot from an airsoft rifle.

How far away can I ring a 10" pie tin from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
If you want to concentrate on trigger pull and technique (breathing and such) you could probably get away with a moderately upgraded rig with a PDI hopup for accuracy. 550fps will destroy a pie tin, especially if you are using heavier BBs. If I were you I would be looking between 75-100 feet. At that range you should be able to get decent accuracy and still deliver enough power to see something on paper. If you have a comp trigger in your real steel you'll want whats called a "zero trigger", closest thing we have to simulate the trigger pull. If thats not an issue you can go stock, just remember that if you want to upgrade the power in a spring gun the trigger pull will get a lot harder with a heavier spring. I haven't measured, but I'd say my ASR is at least 10lb trigger pull with a PDI210 spring. Not exactly light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Airsoft generally is very inaccurate but some people have COMPLETELY changed every part in their gun to get the guns hitting targets 7 out of ten times at 250-300ft. It would cost a lot though and you'd want to know what you are doing. Oh these guns are usually 600fps - sometimes a little more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
Cheese Man said:
I would recommend a gas rifle - just make sure you get HPA. I am not experienced, so take this with a grain of salt, but my Tanaka has a trigger and bolt pull that is very similar to that of a real M700 (to me). Then, with HPA, they can be made very accurate and consistant. Just my $.02...
I 2nd that. The only downside for you is that HPA rigs can be costly if you aren't wanting to drop that much cash into it. But if you really want consistancy HPA with a polished barrel and a good hop up are the way to go.

If you are even planning on never going out to actually play with it, you could probably get away with a small 2 stage compressor and just hook up when you want to shoot. It would save on having pressure regulators and what not around.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,494 Posts
Personally, I would recommend an air rifle. To go with an airsoft gun solely for this purpose is going to be EXPENSIVE. In my mind, for his purposes, not worth it.

My two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about the Echo 1 M28 Springer rifle?? Already goes 500 fps + out of the box.

The Toyko Mauri VSR-10 G needs mods to get that fast so I'd be spending more money buying the rifle then upgrading it to get 500 fps + ...

I'm sure you all will recommend the VSR-10 since it's got tons of upgrades available for it but I want to see if anyone already owns or has test driven the Echo 1 - any ideas guys?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
I haven't shot that particular Echo1, but my primary is an Echo1 ASR. Echo1 build quality over all is good. The ASR shot a solid 450 out of the box and internally is a blend of the APS2 and the L96, so parts are easy to find-ish (depends where you are and if you mind waiting for internet shipping if your local shop doesn't have parts for that particular gun) The reason people like the VSR-10 is because not only are there a lot of parts, but any respectable shop will cary parts. I don't know what the M28 is based off of, but if you really want to go to 550 and you have a local shop, I would recommend looking at the parts they have in stock regularly, just to make it easier on yourself. Any gun is capable of being upgraded, and ALL guns will need to be upgraded for the accuracy. So you will be going into your gun and breaking it down all the way for one reason or another. So unless price is an issue I would recommend getting something with a good body, and get the parts to upgrade as you need them. You can save money getting something that shoots 500 out of the box, you could probably even squeeze 550 out of it with the stock parts, but you'll still be tearing it down to tune it and get the accuracy you want. Make sense? The other thing is what I mentioned earlier, if you want 550 out of a springer, don't expect your bolt to last too long.

One other thing to consider is the BB weight. Typically when someone says "I want XXXfps" they are referring to the FPS with a 0.2g BB since that is the standard chrono weight for fields. If you are looking for 550 with .3s or even .4s you will need a very powerful spring and hence, getting back to the bolt, you will destroy your bolt faster with a spring gun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bobgengeskahn said:
ALL guns will need to be upgraded for the accuracy. So you will be going into your gun and breaking it down all the way for one reason or another. So unless price is an issue I would recommend getting something with a good body, and get the parts to upgrade as you need them. You can save money getting something that shoots 500 out of the box, you could probably even squeeze 550 out of it with the stock parts, but you'll still be tearing it down to tune it and get the accuracy you want. Make sense? The other thing is what I mentioned earlier, if you want 550 out of a springer, don't expect your bolt to last too long.

One other thing to consider is the BB weight. Typically when someone says "I want XXXfps" they are referring to the FPS with a 0.2g BB since that is the standard chrono weight for fields. If you are looking for 550 with .3s or even .4s you will need a very powerful spring and hence, getting back to the bolt, you will destroy your bolt faster with a spring gun.
Ok - now it's making sense. Thanks for the clarification on what is a weak link & what's important in the basic platform.

I'll head down to my local shop & poke them for a while - they've treated me well for what I've gotten from them so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
grim said:
What about the Echo 1 M28 Springer rifle?? Already goes 500 fps + out of the box.

The Toyko Mauri VSR-10 G needs mods to get that fast so I'd be spending more money buying the rifle then upgrading it to get 500 fps + ...

I'm sure you all will recommend the VSR-10 since it's got tons of upgrades available for it but I want to see if anyone already owns or has test driven the Echo 1 - any ideas guys?
I dont have one but a couple of snipers I play with have picked them up and had lots of problems with them. From what I have heard they are maintinence whores and not very upgradable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,975 Posts
Get an air rifle man... Go over to Archer air guns, and pick up a QB79.

You are going to have to spend much more to get an airsoft rifle shooting that fast, and keep it shooting that fast without it breaking on you. Heck I have a rifle I could sell you that is shooting 600 fps right now. And really good accuracy as well, and that would cost $900 plus shipping.

Either way an airsoft rifle is going to be much more expensive in the long run.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top