Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Nerf Dart Foam Hop-up Nub Tutorial?

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  solarisjock 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to do this or show me a tutorial for it?

Thanks,
Tommy!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
It's really a trial and error sort of thing depending on the kind of AEG/BASR you have. Start with a large piece roughly double the size of your current rubber nub in length, but same size in width. Double the size because the force it takes to compress the Nerf foam compared to the rubber nub is substantially lower. Anyways, once you do that, you need either A) fit it to your hop up arm like the existing nub by putting it in the small u-shaped holder, or B) shave the u-shaped holder off and glue it directly to the hop up arm itself. I chose A. Your best bet is to talk to Cheese for his feedback on what is easier.
Thing is I don't have a nub currently.. I haven't had one in I say about 2 years(when I was an idiot and tore my gun down and didn't pay attention to what went where). So I have no idea what to base the dimensions from. I have a UTG MK96 if you could lend a brother a hand. :cheers:

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I don't know the size of that hopup nub, or if it is the same as all others. but, if I were to attempt to get the correct dimensions... A cylinder shape where the width is about double the size of it's diameter.

If you hate math, my best advice would be the stock nub can be measured if you look at the hopup arm. It should not extend past the width of the 'c' shape in the plastic. Also, it will extend exactly double the volume of the 'c' shape. If you need a diagram, let me know, I can draw something in paint for you.
I took what you said and tried to imagine it in my head. Correct if me if I'm wrong with what I'm thinking of haha.

[links because they're big pictures]
Hop-up Arm: http://i.imgur.com/HhGfv.jpg
Hop-up Nub: http://i.imgur.com/SyjSz.jpg

Discussion starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: Went and got me a pack of nerf darts from Wally World today. Cut one up and put her in and I'd say it's a success! I'm 30 for 30 from 90 feet out on a 1 ft x 1 ft square piece of cardboard with maybe a 5 inch grouping. I'd say thats not bad for slightly windy and using .28s on a stock L96. Thanks for the help TJ!

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Another great thing to use as a hop-up nub is an eraser, it is a bit more rigid then the nerf foam, while still being soft enough to provide wonderful hop. It is what I am using in my KA chamber for a G&G L96. Props go to Reezo though, he did it first (that I know of) and I am blatantly copying him.

One thing I did do though was put a small piece of hard plastic across the top so that the turn knob puts an even pressure across the entirety of nub instead of a single point. As of last night I am at 100% accuracy at just under 200 feet on a chimney with .32's in a 550 rifle using a flat hop & LRB as I tweak with my R-hop some more.
Any cutting or shaping done to the eraser? That sounds like a brilliant idea and I want to test it. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.