Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Vsr Extended/ Mid Cap Magazine Love it or Hate it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

It's come to my attention that standard vsr 10 magazines are just not enough for most players (myself included)

1tonne had a great tutorial on how to mod an m4 hi cap mag to fit vsr platforms. Click here for link The only problem is, high cap mags shake and rattle and as a sniper, you usually want to be dead quiet.

There are 55 round magazines from G&P and Cyma but they feed terribly, are a bit unreliable, and also a bit of a pain to insert into the rifle

I've designed a mid cap mag that is roughly twice the height, but has the same characteristics as the original vsr mags. Many refinements will be made to ensure proper seating and easy changing

I'll try to get them to have around 80-100 rounds maybe 120 if I'm lucky >:D

Essentially tripling or even quadrupling the original magazine!

Here are a couple pictures of roughly what they'll look like

What do you guys think?

Thank you for looking! :tup:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes bobcat, the prototyping will be 3D Printed but afterwards it will be injection molded to have smooth edges. I saw your post just after finishing my design. I love your design as well! After reading your post, I noticed you never made an extended one though. My whole motivation behind making this was the extended capacity! Cheers thank you for sharing your work! :tup:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Action Army make 55rnd VSR mags.

They are excellent and I've personally never had any feeding or reliability issues with the ones I own.
and price is great too.

with me 55rounds is enough. :tup:

Reactions: bmr3

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've learned 2 55 rd AA mags is more than enough ammo for any game I play at the local field. Still, it would be dope to have an extended mag sticking out of my VSR. Just about any changes I make to my gun at this point are aesthetic anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks like sniper community is heading into AEG world. Whats the point of having 100rnd magazine on your sniper rifle.

Reactions: bmr3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks like sniper community is heading into AEG world. Whats the point of having 100rnd magazine on your sniper rifle.
it would drastically help with follow up shots and decrease the vulnerability of being hit as you're reloading. Also I think it looks kinda cool :D

EDIT: Also you would only carry 1 or 2 on belt/rig and 1 in the rifle so no more carrying 4-5 mags

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I play in a real cap community, so this is simply not for me. But I see how other people can and will want these if they feed good.

Many will want to have some of them for those game when shoot lots, lots and lots of rounds, while others of the stealthy kind will be able to just play with one of these and save the hassle of carrying extra magazines.

It will look goofy having that boxy thing coming out of the stock in such a weird place, but I think people will still want it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha thanks Dimitri, I agree it would maybe look a little silly, which is why I was thinking of putting a little bit of grip on the bottom/side of each mag, so it can be very comfortable to hold. I will see, right now it's only in the prototyping stage.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I dont like them. Im not saying its not creative or that some would. but the drawbacks outweigh the benifits to me. I think the standard mags are great, the high capacity Maple leaf mags are more than enough already and this is just.. well ... its just overkill.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
The idea is cool, I've actually worked on this in the past. But I didn't develop it further because, well, honestly, the AA mags came out and those are plenty enough :hehe:

Like ArcAngel says... these are overkill, like AEG drum mags. So I personally wouldn't buy them. I have discovered that I can do just fine with a 50 rd mag and a speed loader in my belt, that's plenty enough :shrug:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont like them. Im not saying its not creative or that some would. but the drawbacks outweigh the benifits to me. I think the standard mags are great, the high capacity Maple leaf mags are more than enough already and this is just.. well ... its just overkill.
Maple leaf makes hi-cap vsr mags?? I can't find them, but I would be very interested- I freakin love maple leaf!

·
Super Moderator
3,859 Posts
Not a fan of the idea. Why bother designing a new magazine when this thing exists. https://www.socomtactical.net/dtd-vsr-m4-magazine-adapter-black

I have used the DTD. Hated it. Messed with the ergonomics of the rifle. Crawling with it was more difficult. Prone shooting was more difficult.

While your design is better, still not something I would even consider. One main reason is, "How am I going to carry multiple mags with me?" If you reply with anything along the line of "just put them in a GP pouch." You just lost what little interest I had. I have had numerous instances where the mags would bounce around and collide with each other and spray bbs all over the pouch the are in. Sure, some velcro or elastic would solve that, not ideal.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Could you make smaller than standard VSR magazine, too? 10-20 rounds would be enough. I have been thinking to make new chassis and standard mag is too high for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure but seems like a lot of extra work when you could just put 10-20 BBs in a regular vsr mag and solve that problem. Why do you want to re-design?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok I see, unfortunately no we can't reduce the mag because of the magazine catch on the bottom. The mag just wouldn't stay in the rifle. You could maybe try to get it a little bit shorter if you stop at the magazine catch.
Hope this helps :tup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts