Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

New EdGI 6.01 barrel with Problems

9K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  Reliku 
#1 ·
Hello Guys, This is my first post, unfortunately about a new barrel with problems.
I bought an EdGI kit for my M40a5 ares, after installing (don't worry about it I'm the first oficial gunsmith of ares in Brazil) and shooting I noticed something was wrong. I know that the barrel is conical, my first thought was the bb is touching somewhere .
I dismounted the gun and tryed to pass the bb's by the barrel. Guess what, the bb's are getting stuck.

I'm using king arms 40's, great polishment , consisted diameter and weight. the bb's are 5.96mm diameter

Then I tried Biovall 30's that are 5.95mm diameter an they pass well but very tight.

I email Ed, and argumented with him. No deal, especially wen he told me that 5.96mm bbs are bad and then I told that the same 5.56mm bb's work great in a PDI 01.

If his barrel is a 6.01mm why the bb did't pass by the barrel an pass by a 6.01 PDI??? My bet is there was a fabrication problem and we wont admit it.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm using king arms 40's, great polishment , consisted diameter and weight. the bb's are 5.96mm diameter

Then I tried Biovall 30's that are 5.95mm diameter an they pass well but very tight.
How do you know they are 5.96mm and 5.95mm in diameter?

Did you measure it? With a caliper?

BBs will sometimes swell when exposed to humidity. Maybe they were 5.95mm originally, but they absorbed water and expanded?

#4 ·
This was the issue I ran into. I've had many other barrels, but once I got one of EdGI's barrels, I saw how much better the tolerances are. So yeah, it's not as forgiving on bbs that don't have a consistent size. When I purchased better bbs, issues are all gone and I'm quite happy with performance. But, that was my experience.

#5 · (Edited)
If his barrel is a 6.01mm why the bb did't pass by the barrel an pass by a 6.01 PDI???
In my opinion this is the best example that the EdGI Barrels have better tolerances over PDI.

Have you tried a other BB brand?

I am using a EdGI 6.01 since about 1 year now and never had any issuses that come from the barrel - Just make sure to keep it very clean and use high quality BBs.

#6 ·
In my opinion this is the best example that the EdGI Barrels have better tolerances over PDI.
We can merely guess at this. Both have a great reputation, one is likely not better than the other.

#7 ·
Please measure the bb's with a vernier and then let us know the diameter of them. Then also let us know if the measured bb's fit through the barrel.
If they are measuring about 5.95-5.98mm, then they should fit though.
I have an Orga 6.00mm barrel that I use with 0.4gm bb's (average quality bb's). The diameter of the 0.4gm bb's is between 5.94-5.97mm and they fit through the barrel.
I would have though that if your barrel is 6.01mm, then they should fit easily if the bb's are 5.96gm.
So check the diameter of the bb's and let us know.

#10 ·
Pete,

I've been answering your questions on yahoo since 3/11/2016
Again don't expect a 5.95 to 5.98mm diameter BB to pass through a 6.01ID Barrel
there should be a 0.04mm gap between the bb and the inner barrel.
Hi Ed. the problem is: I have used this bb 5.96mm in a PDI 01 for over a Year without any problems. So when I order the kit I asked a EDgi 6.01 ID barrel

Worked fine in a 01 PDI should Work fine in an EDgi 6.01 right?

but doesn't, What makes me sad is there is no info about it

#14 ·
Hi Edgi
We all know you do the best barrels on the market.
You may also want to have the best service by looking after this customer of yours. It would be great to see a good outcome and we in the airsoft community would then know that if there is an issue with Edgi stuff (which I am sure would be very rear), that we can count on you for help. Cheers

#18 ·
While I agree that the OP's problem is likely due to his, your statement makes no sense.

How do you know Edgi is better than PDI? How do you know PDI's tolerances are +0.05 instead of the claimed +0.0002? I'm willing to bet you did not perform a scientific study, if you did you'd post the results online.

Not to attack you personally, but based on the internet, it is clear that people's experience with Laylax, PDI and Edgi are all very positive. However, there is no conclusive evidence out there. Please refrain from claiming otherwise in the future.

#24 ·
Sorry, this never happened to us.
The only bug down we have is when the machine is not working due to electrical issue.

Besides, our barrels are lapped manually up to the desired ID.
Each barrels are made through manual lapping from 5.95mm ID to 6.01 if thats the final ID. Lapping a singe barrel took us 4 to 6 hrs depending on the finished inner diameter, then polishing to 2 hrs.

#19 ·
It is the generally accepted opinion of the internet that Edgi barrels are better than PDI though, because of the manufacturing process. That being said, PDI isn't half bad either. As a matter of fact, it's generally considered the next best thing after Edgi. Some even say it's better because it's made out of steel :hehe:

#20 ·
It is the generally accepted opinion of the internet that Edgi barrels are better than PDI though, because of the manufacturing process.
Again, I don't want to be the unfriendly guy here, but what do you mean by this? Did you personally observe both processes and conclude that Edgi had a distinctively better process?

I'll just leave it at this. Just want to provide food for thought. People tend to say too much out of gut feelings due to others sharing their own subjective sentiments online. I myself do this too much as well.

#21 ·
I own 5 edgi barrels, 4 PDI, 2 Orga, 2 AA, and a few others, all VSR cut. Edgi vs. PDI, for most of you, they are about the same performance wise. In my setups the edgi's perform only slightly better then the PDI, in terms of grouping. There was only, at most, a decreased shot spread of .5 inch.

All in all both are about the same and are high quality barrels.

Reactions: Reliku
#22 ·
I own 5 edgi barrels, 4 PDI, 2 Orga, 2 AA, and a few others, all VSR cut. Edgi vs. PDI, for most of you, they are about the same performance wise. In my setups the edgi's perform only slightly better then the PDI, in terms of grouping. There was only, at most, a decreased shot spread of .5 inch.

All in all both are about the same and are high quality barrels.
How did the Orga and the AA barrels compare? Similar to PDI or Edgi?

#29 ·
By the way, it is quite funny how this forum turned around on its recommendations.

Back when I joined, Laylax was hailed as the end game when it came to parts.

Now it's more or less PDI, with the AA hop-up chamber or a full AA build.

When I joined, Nineball and Firefly buckings were the A-game, with sometimes an honourable mention for PDI W-hold. Now the A-game is considered the Maple leaf bucking including their nub.

When I joined, Laylax barrels were said to be the best, and PDI was overpriced according to most. Edgi and other brass barrels were disregarded due to their brass material.

Now PDI and Edgi barrels are regarded as the best.

Overall I'd say the recommendations have become better though :).

#30 ·
Hehe, I suppose more people have tried different things and come to different conclusions. The AA chamber is pretty much game changing and "back in the day" for what I've read most people just used stock chambers with shimmed arms or in some cases a PDI chamber :hehe:

And well... The maple leaf... Bit of a no-brainer. It's a clever design. The R-hop is good, the maple leaf does something very similar but makes it a lot easier. It's just the clear winner nowadays :yup:

And laylax is still good I suppose, it's just that AA does about the same for a lower price :hehe:

And let's not forget airsoftpro while we're at it... I really like how that company managed to make decent quality BASR parts very affordable :tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.