Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Whoa, great article! That's just the kind of thing I like to read. +1

EDIT: Those rifles you see are just AICS'. Remington receivers/barrels on Accuracy International chassis. All you have to do to make one like those pictured is buy a Tanaka M700 AICS, chop the barrel and add a suppressor. And if you really want to spend some money.. buy a Remington MARS system or the cheaper McCann Industries MIRS system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got to handle a (real) M110 a few weeks ago....nice weapon, but I would have to agree that there should be multiple sniper rifles out for use - at the minimum, I personally would rather see a 7.62x54 semi-auto rifle, a .300 win mag or .338 lapua mag bolt action rifle, and a .50bmg rifle out in operation. I'd prefer the .338 due to the fact that it was designed to have much of the power of a .50 without all the weight of the .50 - 1500-1600m effective range is a hell of a lot for a anti-personel weapon (though I know of a .50 used to kill someone at around 2400 meters). It is a shame that they couldn't use a system like the 416 does in the M110....because I don't know how much I'd trust the 110 with the same system as the M16/M4....always fouling up....not to mention the 2/3 round burst "feature"

What ever happened to the M14? I thought those were making a comeback with a RIS system and bipod as a current sniper/DMR weapon? M41 isn't it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Malice: If I'm not mistaken the M25 DMR (Modded M21) was used in the marine corps since the beginning of the Iraq campaign. The Army used the M21 with a RIS in certain units for awile(10th mountain used it in A-stan for a long time, then they switched over to the M110 as an experiment). National Guard units are still being equipped with the M14 EBR depending on the unit.

Whats going to happen to all those M40A3's? I didnt know that the M24A3 had an AICS stock, is that something new or did I miss something?

This might interest a couple of you(if you know about ballistics):

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

what about trying that on a .338 lupa?

sticks

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The .50 was adopted with the purpose of being anti-material. It is often used in an anti-personnel role because it's got that extra reach. That would be where a .300 Win Mag or .338 Lapua Magnum would come in handy. It really doesn't have anything to do with weight so much as efficiency. The Barrett (SASR, M107, whatever) doesn't have the inherent accuracy needed to get reliable first round hits at those ranges.

You can fix that fouling problem pretty simply with a drop in piston kit...

The problem with the M14 is in it's complication. Granted, to a well trained warrior, it's not the worst, but in war-time environments, you need to keep things as simple as possible. That's the same reason the M110 isn't going to be the success everyone thinks it should. The bolt action rifle is simple and reliable. That's why it (and the 1911) are the only firearms that have seen over 100 years of military service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.