Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

New project rifle!

6K views 43 replies 4 participants last post by  woogie 
#1 ·
So I'm hoping to sell my L96 ( :'( ) within the next month or so to cover the costs of some upgrades for this, but there's plenty I can do to the rifle with very little money.

This is just gonna be my all-purpose thread to detail my upgrades, with pics, etc. as well as to ask some questions. Hopefully this will help people out.

I just bought a JG bar-10 (I'm going to be completely working this over and I'm going to be replacing or improving EVERY part on this rifle

#2 ·
Can't wait to see what you have planned...

I am looking at another rifle once I sell mine to a fellow member. Looking at getting a g-spec as well just for the light weight package of the overall rifle.

With the spring noise... I have thought about finding some heat shrink and trying to get that around the spring and then heat it to shrink. That would work like the tape, and should last a lot longer.

I am also looking at keeping this rifle around the 350 mark or so. And yup you guessed it getting a TK barrel and seeing how accurate and quite I can keep her.

I have had many of people come very VERY close to me in any one of my ghillies. So the 530 fps, with .30's isn't needed...

The cylinder head... if you have a drill do it yourself
Mount the head in the chuck of the drill and sand a nice cone into it.

I will start a separate thread when I get my rifle as an Uber budget rifle...

Good luck and ask any questions you have

#4 ·
Yeah I hear you on that ...

Trying to find a place that has the barrel in stock... I know I found one place but can't remember the name of the place. I remember it had like an eagle or hawk for a logo and the pages were gray and black....

But yeah can keep ya posted on mine as well... Good luck and have fun tweeking

#6 ·
+1 Thanks for the find .... Yeah I heard that the tk twist barrels are being discontinued... So I will need to grab that up quick ..

Yeah knew about the hop and all that ... Now I am wondering what the TM L96 would take barrel wise

As much as I want a G-Spec ..... I really don't want to get the same thing that I am selling. So I may go for the L96 and try and make that the same as the G-spec. Go to google and search for Accuracy International Covert...

That is what I am going to try and make
Should be along the same lines...

PS... My EBR will be here tomorrow!!!!

#8 ·
LOL ... Nope .... CA
there new one.. Already have a few mags for it so I am going to try her out... She will be here tomorrow.

Yeah the machining wont be to hard... Just need to put the stuff on my lathe and let her go

That and I still think there is to much "hype" about all of the high fps rifles. If you are able to get in close enough with a 400 fps rifle lets say. You should be able to keep it very quiet and be able to take out a few people, before anyone notices.

That and doing some research around the net, as well as my own. I found that the higher the fps the More erratic the shots can be, flight wise. So I am going to see what would happen if I can get the new rifle to shoot right at 400 fps, at most, and still have great accuracy.

#9 ·
lol, sounds good. My bar-10 g-spec is also arriving tomorrow ;) Actually, I should make a trip to the hardware store and get some supplies for when it gets here.

I agree. The thing is, it takes skill and knowledge of fieldcraft to get that close to your target without being detected. A lot of guys just find it easier to take potshots from 200 feet. IF you have the camouflage and the ability to get that close, as well as a very quiet rifle, then I think it can be an even better alternative to a high-powered boomstick.

But like I said, it depends on the role you're playing. If I'm rolling with a squad, they still need me to have my high-fps rifle for longer ranges (and I DO believe that higher fps allows for longer shots, to a certain extent... due to the ability to get greater hop and use heavier ammo).

Also, the erratic nature of shots at high fps is generally due to user error when upgrading the rifle. If you install the necessary airseal parts/mod what you need to, then you can achieve on-par consistency.

#11 ·
Agreed. Now that I'm more comfortable with these guys (it's a new unit), I'm a more integral part of the team and this makes more long range recon a definite option. This is partly why I'm starting work on a quiet, lower-budget rifle.

Sorry, this reply is a little image heavy. Unfortunately I didn't get to the internals today, as I want to let the foamed parts of the stock finish expanding and drying so I can sand if I need to and I don't accidentally foul up the trigger mech.

And yes, Woogie, I was very excited

#13 ·
Congrats on the M14!

I electrical taped the ends of the spring (I still want to try heat shrink but I was going for fast and easy), teflon taped the cylinder/cylinder head joint as well as the barrel/bucking joint, and cleaned, brasso'd, and polished my stock barrel. Pics will be up in a day or two...they're not terribly detailed for the barrel polishing, but vindi already did that. That is more for documentation at this point.

Next is spacers, foam pads on either side of the trigger mech, and then I'm done for now. Later on I'll get into the finnicky and/or unnecessary stuff

#14 ·
Quick note before I post this: I also taped the threads on the cylinder head. I do the outside for good measure as the clearances on the vsr-10 are loose enough it won't effect bolt pull.

Pics after painting rifle:

3 base coats of brown spray paint, then patches of OD and tan on top. Tan was coated with a dusting of brown to darken it, as grassland-type tan isn't very common where I play.

#16 ·
Lol yessir. Got basically a 1-2 inch grouping thru 75 feet, pretty typical of any good quality rifle. Decent consistency, can adjust hopup out to ~200 feet and have a decent chance of making a shot on a silhouette. I'm not getting really technical, but I'm feeling fairly confident at fielding this come the next game.

I'll try to make a video soon of me shooting the rifle. I doubt you'll be able to see the bbs, and I gave up on paper targets years ago. But as you have commanded, so it shall be ;)

#18 ·
Thanks man...I haven't been very active airsofting recently due to school so I'm getting everything up and running again.

New rifle, new sidearm (KSC USP .45 system 7) + 2 mags, new dropleg, and I'm making a new ghillie w/ a multicam base. It's getting into winter but I'm going for more of a fall theme. If it gets really snowy on the ground I'm probably just going to switch to a DM role or get some german snow camo to go over my BDUs.

A lot of the time everything just dies, so fall colors would work decently.

#19 ·
Yeah I hear you on the winter thing... As soon as the snow flies up here in ND we start to work on the rifles more than use them

*edit *

Well I have my spring on order. Should be here in a week or so. I am still using that AK barrel... If I wind up happy with the out come I may just cut down my EdGi barrel.

Good luck with your work zulu.... When you going to get a game under her?

#20 ·
Yeah exactly.

Sounds good, man! You have fun with that...I'm currently keeping the bar-10 stock because I'm basically doing a complete overhaul. Ordering new gear (MOLLE 3-inch wide belt with mounts on the back, double-pistol mag pouch, utility pouch (small w/ zipper, with tools and whatnot for on-field repairs), and a radio holster). I've always just rolled with my stuff in my pockets, but I've decided to start rocking a sidearm (also arriving this week, KSC system 7 USP .45 + 2 25 rd mags) so I need a bit more. I already have a drop leg so I'm set for that.

The utility and radio pouches are simply for convenience...I've been planning on ordering them for a while now. And of course, I'm making the ghillie. Hoping to have it done this week, or at least complete enough to field and have it be serviceable. I have another set of BDUs for the meantime, and for high-speed situations (DM role).

So yeah, I don't exactly have the $ to start upgrading yet. If Tex manages to make the mess of a trigger I sent him work (good luck, man!) then I'll be able to use my L96 for longer-range scenarios if necessary. I was GOING to get a game under my belt with the bar-10 today, but guess what the attendance was? 2. Including me. >.<

#26 ·
Oh my :( Did you get it sorted out all right?

Thanks for the heads-up! I've been putting all my time into college apps and AP homework, with a little left over to work on the ghillie. So I haven't really done much modding since that first week after I got the rifle. It performed decently at a game tho...I didn't align the barrel perfectly pre-game, but it was easy to adjust for and the rifle seemed consistent. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.