Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for having me. My name is Jon, I'm a generation X heavy equipment repairman in southern California. I'm also a hobby machinist which is what got me into airsoft guns.
In truth the only games I've ever participated in were little backyard springer skirmishes, never really having the time to get further into it as I work long hours far from home.
But I'm a tinkerer and I had built something unique, and I felt like it was a shame it would die with me just buried in the back of my garage. I had a build thread going on ASR which is long gone and recently dug out the rifle I made wanting to take it a bit further and share with the group here as I feel snipers might really appreciate my efforts.
I also see that the science and thought that is applied to the consistency and accuracy of snipers these days are at a new level and hope to glean what I can.
Don't be hasty to pass judgment until I post, but I chose a Maruzen CA870 as the foundation and built a replica Remington 7615 Police, a pump action carbine chambered in .223 that came out much better than I anticipated.
Anyway looking forward to posting about it and reading about some of the killer builds on these forums.
Take care.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Awesome, good to have a fellow machinist here, we're kinda lacking in that department.

The ideal springer seen in the foam flinging side of things is almost always pump action as to handle the outrageous springs they use.
It just seems to make sense that a pump action would be the best spring sniper, so it's really not that weird in the general scope of things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, good to have a fellow machinist here, we're kinda lacking in that department.

The ideal springer seen in the foam flinging side of things is almost always pump action as to handle the outrageous springs they use.
It just seems to make sense that a pump action would be the best spring sniper, so it's really not that weird in the general scope of things.
I just wanted to self teach and learn a new skill, did all the work on this particular rifle on a Sherline table top lathe with a milling attachment. I've since restored a Clausing 8520 knee mill, little 3/4 size machine. I wouldn't call myself a machinist but I have surprised myself with what can be done with persistence, patience, and attention to details.
I agree about pump action being a worthy platform. Easier and faster follow up shots, figured I'd try to fill a DMR roll with it if I ever had the chance to actually play.
Maybe someday I'll get a Bridgeport or I'd really like a Weller. The little Clausing is great though for its size. I bet you can really do magic if you're a machinist by trade with access to 5 axis CNC, I can't run with the big dogs at my hobbyist level.
Gas Machine Kitchen appliance Fixture Machine tool

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My grandfather has a South Bend lathe he bought new in the 80s, a Bridgeport mill he got for free, a really big really scary lathe he uses for steel stuff he got somewhere, and a repurposed lathe that was part of an assembly line, so it had to be repurposed so you'd get more than one type of cut.
Obviously the best lathe is the South Bend, good thing he's got one that I can use since they're like $45,000 new.
Everything's manual so I can't do anything too awesome like my own GBB or NBB gun, or an "AEG" lower receiver, but maybe someday I'll have me a 5 axis CNC lathe combo that's big enough to make a rifle stock in.

Best of luck with your stuff, I look forward to seeing it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts