Votes: 3 23.1%
  • G36

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an SL9 kicking around for a couple of years and the final prognosis from my tech was that it simply wasn't worth bothering with all the necessary purchases and time investment required to arrive at a suitable standard. That being the case I have consigned the whole thing to the dustbin, with the exception of the hop chamber and MOSFET which I may, or may not reuse at a later point.

So.....following a number of discussions with friends, and some inspiration from this board I have decided to proceed with an AEG project, be that in the form of a highly accurised "Field" AEG (1.1j for the UK) or a DMR (1.49j to 1.88j depending on which site/field I play on). To this end, and in spite of my usual inclination to rush forward blindly following my heart first, I thought it might be wise to do a little more research than is my want and ask a couple of questions I hadn't previously considered.

I have owned a number of DMRs in the past (M14, SR-25, MSG-90, CA-33) and I am familiar with the upgrade routes required, as well as the part that more modern technology would have to play in the project but one factor I hadn't considered to any great extent is that some platforms may be inherently more, or less accurate overall, owing to the rigidity of construction and stabilisation, ready compatibility with more upgrade parts and probably a couple of other attributes I hadn't examined.

In your opinion, is there an AEG platform that performs better overall than others?

A few factors to consider: I will be dropping a MOSFET into the gearbox, and either a Begadi or MAXX hop chamber/Edgi barrel combination for the heart of the project. I'll almost certainly use a Warhead motor but I'm not overly concerned about gears/piston/cylinder/piston head as they can be changed out as required. If I go for the DMR route, I will want a quick-change gearbox and ideally all metal construction throughout........other than that, my only real thought was an SVD-style as the larger volume cylinder and hop chamber are both hard to beat.

But, I'm open to feedback and suggestions.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done all the hop shimming in the past, not tried o rings to replace the barrel tension spring however. Previously I did also use an o ring to tension the normal hop wheel on an m4 style chamber and that worked brilliantly- hitting CDs consistently at 40m with shimming and a good barrel.

Perhaps it is time I owned an M4 as parts are certainly commonplace 馃榿

Excellent food for thought, cheers!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Man, the world economy is making it hard to get anything decent in the UK, and what there is has had its price YOINKED right up...

I'm gravitating towards an M14 SOCOM with a Lambda one barrel, Maple Leaf MR-Hop, and Omega nub. There are probably improvements to be made here BUT.....I really do not want the hassle of R-hops, ER hops, or any other rather more intricate system when I can get the majority of the performance from a drop-in. As it stands, the only barrel I can pick up locally (I prefer to support friends where possible) is a 469mm, so I'll throw a Type0 Cylinder onto the shopping list.

Why the change of heart?

I don't need a teenage dream, I just need an M14. That, and I don't like the look of any M4s in my price range :)

(Or maybe a Da Vinci)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I understand joule creep and volume ratios, don't worry - but thanks for taking the time to point it out (y)

Da Vinci or Lambda, not decided yet and probably a MAXX me but again, not decided. M4s are super common but I really dislike most designs in my price range and I don't really want to worry about stocks and externals as well as internals. If I find a nice, sleek and simple design I may go for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a consideration Ron, I have to admit. Of the three nearest sites to me, one allows 1.48j (400fps with a .2g) the next is 1.67, and the last is 1.87. The latter two are where I would consider fielding a "proper" DMR, but If I buy one for two sites, I may as well get a quick change gearbox of some sort and use it at all three, albeit with different effective margins.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have ROF caps - or at least, locally. It's one shot, let the BB arrive at the target, hit or miss, then you are allowed a second. Ideally, a MOSFET with a 3-second delay and increasingly this is becoming commonplace to prevent the ridiculous spamming of shots from further back than a "Field/Assault" AEG can reach. There are still some fields (probably 50/50) that allow you to spam with a DMR but for the sake of gameplay that is becoming a thing of the past.

Up to 60m or so, an AEG (proper) is king.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So...

E&C.Specna Arms use these as an OEM, and I have heard from some sources that they are solid.....but I haven't got any personal experience, and I don't know anyone locally that I can ask. That being the case, I thought I'd ask you guys what you've heard, or perhaps what your experiences are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts