Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ASF Users!
As you may may notice I'm a newbie to the forum, and as one may infer, Airsoft Sniping. I recently got a great opportunity to pick up a used UTG Mk96 for close to half new-price. Although it's in working order, it was never upgraded and (given that it's 3 years old) will probably be needing replacement parts very soon . But, that's alright because I never intended to get an airsoft sniper without upgrading the living H*ll out of it. what I'm not okay with is the finish on the rifle. Don't get me wrong, i'm really happy to have gotten it so cheap, but the Cheap plastic-y feel of the gun was almost a deal breaker. But I'm not one for complaining without actually doing something about it, so I've decided to refinish the stock (and probably the barrel/action as well) whilst adding some personal flair. I figured that while I'm at it I may as well post the progress in an ongoing thread here on the forums in tutorial style for other users to see. I look forward to seeing how this project turns out, as well as throwing some knowledge in for the more novice DIYers.

UPDATE 01:
Well, I've officially ordered the stuff, and it should be here by next week. In the mean time I preoccupied myself by fixing some rattling coming from the inside of the stock, as well as a problem with the barrel freely rotating. The two sources of the rattling were the two weights in the back end of the stock (the pieces of foam which normally hold them in place weren't there) and the forward sling mount (due to a poorly cut insert.) The problem with the sling was easily solved by layering some electrical tape along the sides of the bipod mount where the sling mount sits:

Tape in

All cleaned up nice.

As for the weights in the back, I simply wrapped them in some shipping wrap and taped them in place. (forgot to snap a photo unfortunately)

The problem with the barrel rotating is easily solved by tightening this hex-screw on the bottom of the action where it meets the barrel:

*Make sure you have the barrel aligned with the gun! Mine wasn't perfectly on and thus I couldn't fit it back in the stock until I corrected the barrels orientation :doh:
That's it for update 01. I'll have another update up as soon as I get the Duracoat and Marine-Tex in :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, I'm with Fuzzy. I'm excited to see how you upgrade the stock!

Edit:

So sorry for that, my bad. Had I realized it was from last year... nice pic btw.

·
Registered
838 Posts

please look at date....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.