Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

Orga magnus 6.23mm barrel

14K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Grantmac 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Just wanted to know if anyone ever used one of these barrels in their sniper rifles?

http://orga-airsoft.com/products-page/magnus-barrel/magnus-6-23mm-widebore-barrel-aeg/

I do have this barrel and I did use it on my P* dmr and it shot great. You could see the bb floating out to 250-300 feet beautifully. But I sold my P* but kept the barrel.

I wanted to try it out in my kjw m700(which I am in the process of upgrading) but can't for a week or so since I dont have all my upgrading parts for my sniper rifle.

So did anyone ever try this barrel in their bolt action sniper rifles? If so, how did it perform?

I also have a 6.0.3 prommy barrel as well and will be doing tests with both the barrels after I finish upgrading my rifle which isn't going to be for like 2 weeks.

Anyways, if you guys tried this setup before or know of anyone that did, how did it perform?

Thanks

See less See more
#8 ·
I'm tempted to buy one of these for my VSR-10... 430 mm by 6.23mm. This video by amped airsoft seems to explain pretty well how a wide bore would function. I think the key would be over volumizing it.

If it truly does create more accurate long range shots, that would be awesome. I have a 555mm 6.03mm laylax/prommy so I could compare the two. I remember reading that the volume of the vsr cylinder matches a 6.03 555mm barrel which equals out to 3,346.65mm squared. The volume of the magnus barrel is 6.23 X 430 = 2,678.9mm squared. So it would be over-volume.

I would also be using .43mm bbs which would require more force to reach the same fps as lighter bbs.

Any thoughts? :)

#9 ·
To be honest, I think Amped's video is brand-pushing and spreading falsehood.

I had a lot of respect for them up until I saw that video. Quite a bit of what they say is true, but then they throw in a whopper.

Widebores will NOT give you more range. Anyone who took an introductory college physics course should be able to see through that claim.

Once the BB leaves a barrel, the only forces imparted on it are gravity, drag, and those due to the Bernoulli/Magnus effect. The size of the bore has no effect on the BB in order to provide it more range.

Extreme overvoluming and joule creep will certainly give you more range, but if two identical guns, shooting identical ammo, at an identical muzzle energy use a 6.01/6.03 and a 6.23mm barrel of equal lengths (with appropriate volume matching), then the range will be identical. The only difference will be the precision of the grouping, which may be better with the 6.23.

430mm is the recommended length for 0.43g (please see 1tonne's guide: http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/41-vsr-rifles/6075-advanced-vsr-sniper-building-guide.html) in a VSR using a standard cylinder and 6.03mm barrel. If you want to use a 6.23mm barrel, your barrel length will need to be much shorter than 430mm.

I believe, as of now according to Careful and 1tonne, a 303-350mm 6.00 barrel is preferred for 0.66g.

#11 ·
The Magnus barrel will not add range but it does aid with accuracy at range.

The most accurate shooting DMR I have uses a 500mm 6.23 Magnus barrel. I have been unable to match it in long range precision. That said, it's accurate range is out to around 275ft with a total range around 310-315ft. I loan this P* out a lot and the most consistent comment is 'OMG it shoot straight!'.

The longest range barrel I have is the complete opposite - a 650mm 6.01 I lapped and LRB modded. Output and BB weight equal between this SMP and the P* above, the accurate range is closer (around 235ft) but the total range is much further (over 330ft).

These differences observed at 1.48J with a 0.30g BB.

I believe the difference is that the LRB tightbore is providing a better quality of hop but the minor imperfections in the BB riding along the top of the barrel introduce an exit variation realized at range. The widebore, on the other hand, has a higher exit quality due to the barrel not contacting the BB so the barrel exit is more consistent and realized as greater accuracy from shot to shot.

#12 ·
What is the best barrel length to LRB? You said your longest range barrel was a 6.01 650mm? I was always told the 455mm was the most accurate. I use an AEG and will be LRB modding a madbull 455 and ER hopping it, HS5 chamber groove cutting it, and using an EM nub. Should I consider a longer madbull barrel instead?

#15 ·
Might i ask what your rationale is behind that? Brass is well known to be the lowest quality material (besides uncoated aluminum) perhaps you are confusing "chamber" groove cut which is a short cut under the hopup window designed to center the bb similar to the miracle barrels with the full length groove cuts. Considering the chamber groove cut is under the hopup mound it does not matter if its bare aluminum there. Its too short of a groove to effect anything but spin axis.

#14 ·
Any thought is a wider arrow shaft as a less expensive orga barrel? There is a diy thread where arrow shafts are discussed as inner barrels. A carbon 300 has a diameter 6.30 if I remember correctly.

Over volume of a stock cylinder and a shorter, albeit wider, barrel should produce the same effect on accuracy, theoretically.

#16 ·
I saw Prometheus selling widebores at least on Evike. If you're looking for bore quality and a widebore, that probably won't be too bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.