Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes!, I have working on a vsr10 style piston for my E1M28 using just paper elmer's glue, baking soda and súper glue!, shaping the inner threads very carefully, hardened later with súper glue so I can attach the steel end cap for the sear.
The piston it's on working process, But for now it looks pretty well, very strong, and I believe it will work

·
Registered
275 Posts
I’m by no mean a materials scientist, but I don’t believe this will work

First I want to ask, why are you making your own piston?

Second,elmer’s glue as I recall it from my youth was brittle past a certain tension pressure. This probability won’t translate well inside a cylinder.

Third, the bonding properties of cyanoacrylate is such that it bonds surface together. It is not meant as a composite material. If you’re looking to “build” something, I won’t layer (consider how super glue cures, it's usually in thin layers, not as clumps). You could try bondo? But I know nothing about bondo as a structural material, only as a cosmetic shells.

If you MUST build your own piston, have you considered 3D printed nylon fiber piston and o-rings as your air seal to the cylinder internal surface?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
That's definitely cool, but I don't see it lasting very long.

I would definitely suggest that you try modifying a PVC pipe or go scavenge something if you're that desperate, but I guess you can try it.

What I worry about most is the O-ring and groove and how well they will seal.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this is just for play!, I know that maybe it wont work, but I will give it a try anyways, and who knows!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update, the piston is practically ready, only a few details would be missing, and even so I installed it inside my rifle, and what do you think! ..... It work!!! It is really holding the power of an M140 spring, well worn out, but even so !, I already used it firing 3 full 21 bb magazine and it gives me the feeling that the bolt is softer. au. I don't know how the performance is going but I'll do a distance test when I can

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's definitely cool, but I don't see it lasting very long.

I would definitely suggest that you try modifying a PVC pipe or go scavenge something if you're that desperate, but I guess you can try it.

What I worry about most is the O-ring and groove and how well they will seal.
Well about the O-ring seal it's quite good actually, I can hold the air for 5 or more seconds when I put my finger on the inner barrel

·
Registered
258 Posts
That is actually pretty cool hamlet! I like crazy out of the box ideas like that. Ones that are slightly unconventional but just kinda work! Interesting to see how it holds up. Also how does oil/grease effect it? Could be a super creative way to get a cheap 90deg setup for lower/medium power builds. If anything it make you rethink how these can be made outside of the traditional machined ALM. This might just spur more new thoughts on how to make other parts as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the truth is that I am surprised to see how it works and how it holds up! The paper material is really hard, and I came up with this idea thanks to a youtuber who made a skateboard with the same materials and it worked. Now, this is my first piston made by hand completely without lathes or tools, and I think I could improve it as well as take the same design and make it in aluminum, although in itself this piston is very light despite being so thick, even now it has surprised me in a good way!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts