Airsoft Sniper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the main thing that makes sniper rifles better than AEG’s? They can hit the same range and accuracy with one shot doesn’t matter (because AEG’s spit out so many rounds).

I guess I’m doubting myself. For all the money I’ve spent on my sniper rifle ($850+) I could have got a super good AEG, pistol, and the rest of my rig.

I just feel like I’m going to be useless in the upcoming war. :(

·
Registered
959 Posts
Sniper rifles are fun (for some people).
They do have longer range than aegs.
It is far easier to make them quieter.
They are more reliable.

A top of the line upgraded aeg will be just as expensive, if not more expensive than a sniper rifle.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
Going off of what BlackDog said,

They operate off a different principle. Technically, there are few intrinsic benefits to snipers. However, fields generally allow them to have higher fps, and coupled with the fact that they sound way quieter, this gives them some benefit.

They are all around more fun. It's way more satisfying to have an enemy in your crosshairs, unbeknownst to them, and then watch a single bb sail through the air and hit them.

They are a HECK of a lot easier to tune, and also for cheaper, generally speaking. $850 is quite a bit to spend on a sniper, and you actually can achieve similar results for cheaper. The all around simple mechanical design is much easier to work on, and there are less points of failure. You can be a novice to airsoft and still make a half decent sniper rifle. My current built could be made for under $200 to $250, and is doing well. Try that budget on an AEG? You could get a cheap STOCK loadout, but who likes stock?

Overall, it's just a different playstyle. You won't be racking up the kills all the time, but each kill will be 100x more satisfying. It's even more satisfying to do a private match and wipe out EVERY SINGLE PERSON hehehe.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Like you guys said, I do it because snipers in movies and games are awesome, and they are awesome in airsoft if you make them awesome.
An AEG no matter the cost or quality I would compare to American cheese or other extremely low class cheese, and I would compare pistols to maybe smoked Gouda or cheap brie.
And for snipers when done right and used correctly, they aren't like cheese because it's dumb to compare toy guns to cheese lol.

But yeah, sniping can be awesome, probably the most awesome playstyle if you make it that way, but it all falls on personal preference.
If you have already gotten that invested into your rifle, your probably going to like it a lot once you're at a decent point.

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
I use both .. Depends on the mood
I have bolt action sniper rifles and AEG's .. I tend to use mostly my DMR rifles tho..

Wolf

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$850 is quite a bit to spend on a sniper,
Made a mistake there... bought my upgraded SSG10 off of eBay for $550, and then the other $250-$350 I’ve spent on gear/equipment.

First time doing this, so mistakes are inevitable...😖

Sniper rifles are fun (for some people).
They do have longer range than aegs.
It is far easier to make them quieter.
They are more reliable.

A top of the line upgraded aeg will be just as expensive, if not more expensive than a sniper rifle.

So, for example, if there were a group of people (say 4) coming down a path and I’m waiting at the end, in hiding. I pick of the first guy and then maybe the second, but they then they are shooting 400x bbs in my direction.

If I’m good should I be able to pick off all 4 fast? Or if I’m good, should they even know where I am?

—-

I guess I really need to be in an actual match before making an opinion. I just wanted to see what you guys thought.
I use both .. Depends on the mood
I have bolt action sniper rifles and AEG's .. I tend to use mostly my DMR rifles tho..

Wolf
Was actually considering getting a cheapish AEG for when I don’t want to snipe, but I am going to spend that money on a sidearm.

·
Registered
959 Posts
So, for example, if there were a group of people (say 4) coming down a path and I’m waiting at the end, in hiding. I pick of the first guy and then maybe the second, but they then they are shooting 400x bbs in my direction.

If I’m good should I be able to pick off all 4 fast? Or if I’m good, should they even know where I am?
It's airsoft- fake dying isn't that of a big deal. If you sit still enough they might not even realise you're there.
If you wait until they are within about 10 metres you could even fake-kill them all with a pistol.
Also, if you are outnumbered 4 to 1, having an aeg isn't going to help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's airsoft- fake dying isn't that of a big deal. If you sit still enough they might not even realise you're there.
If you wait until they are within about 10 metres you could even fake-kill them all with a pistol.
Also, if you are outnumbered 4 to 1, having an aeg isn't going to help.

I know this isn’t the thread for it, but should I get a good quality pistol gas pistol? (In the $130 price range) Or should I get a $50 chepo,because I won’t be using it that much?

Turns out I will be playing with my brother, sister, and 2 other friends this afternoon. All of which have AEG’s, so this should be interesting...

To bad my camo cover/raffia/leaves won’t come in until tomorrow.:(

·
Registered
959 Posts
I know this isn’t the thread for it, but should I get a good quality pistol gas pistol? (In the $130 price range) Or should I get a $50 chepo,because I won’t be using it that much?

Turns out I will be playing with my brother, sister, and 2 other friends this afternoon. All of which have AEG’s, so this should be interesting...

To bad my camo cover/raffia/leaves won’t come in until tomorrow.:(
I would either go for the AAP01 or one of the cheap mk23s- ie. SSTI or ASG ones or an ASG Mk1
Both of these are fairly cheap options that are quite good.
The MK23 has a lot of upgrade potential and can be really good.
The AAP01 is probably the best out of the box of all of these, and I am looking into getting one myself.
The ASG Mk1 is simple and reliable, however, you risk getting an overpowered pistol.

Note that the AAP01 is the only Blowback pistol out of these three.
The rest are nonblowback.

Reactions: PheonixKingZ

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would the SSX23 be a good option? I hear it doesn’t shoot straight.

I would definitely want a non-blowback. Blowbacks are way to loud for me.

·
Registered
959 Posts

Yes.
It would, sometimes you can get a defective one so be careful.
They can also encounter mag problems, but Novritsch has a video detailing how to fix that, and there should be a thread on ASF about the same thing.

Note that the AAP01 is actually quite a quiet gun.
It doesn't really have a slide per se, as it is modelled of the Ruger mk4, and what it does have is made of light nylon ( I think).

·
Registered
26 Posts

I’m about to send mine back, it was a dud. I’m a Novritsch fan, I have an ssg10, ssp1, and ssp18 on preorder. So, not just being a hater.
I had feeding issues and I couldn’t make it through a full magazine without running out of gas from day one with my ssx23. It could have just been a lemon though, as everything else I’ve received has been perfectly functional.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may just try my luck with the SSX23. Customer support is good with Novritsch, so I’m sure they will help me if I get a defective one.

Do you thinking I’m spending to much money on my load out? That would be another $140, not including extra mags/gas/bbs. I also don’t play that often, that’s why I was sort of wanting a cheaper one...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I may just try my luck with the SSX23. Customer support is good with Novritsch, so I’m sure they will help me if I get a defective one.

Do you thinking I’m spending to much money on my load out? That would be another $140, not including extra mags/gas/bbs. I also don’t play that often, that’s why I was sort of wanting a cheaper one...
Ultimately, you’re the only one who can really determine how much is “too much” money. I think as long as you have fun when you are playing, that’s what counts. Of course, it helps if you also have fun tinkering too, because there is a good bit of maintenance/tinkering involved in the hobby as well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I’m keeping it in check, but there always seems to be more and more to buy. It’s addicting almost? 😒

I have decided to go with the SSX23. It’s going to cost more than I will expect, becuase the suppressor is sold separately. (Also will need to get gas, mags, and bbs)

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tell me about it.

Im actually re thinking... I’ve calculated that in order to have a SSX23 setup that I like, I would need to spend over $300. For the SSP1, I would only spend around $200. (The holster is what’s going to cost as the most, also the unique way the SSX23 is designed)

I may actually get the SSP1, because I’ll enjoy it more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The ssp1 is way more fun to shoot IMO. I love my son’s and I want to get one for myself to play with too.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well, got done playing with some buddies today, and yeah, there really is no alternative.

Only had a few kills, but being invisible in a cheap leaf suit and watching a bb sail 200+ feet while hearing the thud of the bb against the person's chest is an unparalleled experience. Plus, there's always a project to work on!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only had a few kills, but being invisible in a cheap leaf suit and watching a bb sail 200+ feet while hearing the thud of the bb against the person's chest is an unparalleled experience. Plus, there's always a project to work on!
That’s what would really appeal to me about it!

The ssp1 is way more fun to shoot IMO. I love my son’s and I want to get one for myself to play with too.
But is it practical for a sniper? I think the SSP1 would also give me real-world experience with firearms, as the SSP1 has blowback.

I think if 4 people are coming toward me on a path, it won’t matter if they hear my shots or not, because I’ll be able to pick off all 4 real quick with that snappy trigger.

From what I’m reading/watching, the SSX23 doesn’t have a snappy trigger at all, due to the “double trigger” action.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts