Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would lean away from the m28, until they can release some reliable after market parts for the.

Top of my list would be the ASR for performance and ease of internal upgrades. Bar 10 wouldn't be a bad choice either but I personally am not a fan of the VSR line of rifles

·
Registered
745 Posts
I wouldn't suggest a sniper as your first rifle. It may completely turn you away from airsoft forever. If you are in a hearts desire, ECHO 1 ASR is a great good, I use to have one, and the JG Bar-10 is a great gun, i'm picking one up in a trade as a base gun. Stay away from the M28, pretty unupgradable (Is this a word)
MK96 is like Tom Brady, basically everyone loves/has it. I don't like main stream guns, just me though.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
What I look for in a bolt action rifle are a few things...

1. Are they upgradeable, do they have spare parts available, and are there guides/others experienced with this rifle in case I were in need of some assistance?

Therefore, the UTG mk96 is a great option. Very upgradeable with a ton of spare replacement/upgrade parts available. However, I would steer away from buying this from Airsoftgi. Its wayyyy overpriced. Check out evike.com for a price more suitable and reasonable. This will give you some extra cash to save/spend on other parts of the rifle.

Also, the JG bar 10 is another great option that answers all the questions for number one. Its 100% compatible with the VSR 10, and has a wide range of upgrade parts/replacement parts.

2. Is it new to the market? Is there only a small availability of information?

The ECHO1 m28 fits this category. Its new and a lot of people are running into problems with little info available to help them out. If you are just starting out, this might not be the rifle for you. You want a rifle that has information at the ready, as things will go wrong down the road. In addition, if you ever plan on upgrading, you hardly have any parts that are ready at this time. Its new to the market, so give it some time, and parts will start to creep up and start selling.

3. Compatibility?

The ECHO1 ASR is known for being slightly confusing as far as upgrades go. Its compatible with a few different types of parts. Bob or Ronin will be able to give you more detail.

Basically, the UTG mk96 or JG Bar 10 are the two top choices that I would be looking at. They are compatible as they are 100% clones, have a huge selection of upgrade/replacement parts, and have a ton of information on the web. Very user friendly for a first rifle.

Also, I see you are new to the boards. Please make an intro post so we can get to know you a little better.

And I almost forgot, welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't start airsoft as being a sniper. A DM maybe, but not a sniper. It's boring, I swear. Most of the work is recon and you don't get in many firefights with the one shot, cock, one shot...

If I were you, get an AEG. See if you like being in a team of gunners, and if you still like long range positions, upgrade that to a DMR. Trust me, they're more fun. Pure sniping is just for crazy people like us. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, awagg sometimes shit hits the fan... At the last game, my sniperteam had more action than our assault squad! XD Together we racked up between 30 and 35 kills, which is much for the type of game. But I totally agree with you!

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
^ Tell me about it...

Story Time!
So, at the last OP up here, Freedom's Revenge, the only two dedicated snipers in the Anchorage area (me and another guy who has been doing it for a lot longer than me - my spotter was unable to attend) were on the same team. We had gone up a ridge to try to gather some intel on the whereabouts of the other team, and ran into the ENTIRE team. We shot about half of them from over 200 feet, radioing for backup, who came up along the sides of the opfor and eliminated them. I got 19 kills in that one stretch of time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
awagg said:
Don't start airsoft as being a sniper. A DM maybe, but not a sniper. It's boring, I swear. Most of the work is recon and you don't get in many firefights with the one shot, cock, one shot...

If I were you, get an AEG. See if you like being in a team of gunners, and if you still like long range positions, upgrade that to a DMR. Trust me, they're more fun. Pure sniping is just for crazy people like us. :)
Very good point as well, it is boring. Check out my you tube channel, I have a couple of point of view videos. These are edited to show some of the action but they are chopped down from about 2 hours of footage each, and they are boring

http://www.youtube.com/user/odoairsoft#p/c/77A966CB87CADAD5/3/K181dbjx7J0

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cheese Man said:
^ Tell me about it...

Story Time!
So, at the last OP up here, Freedom's Revenge, the only two dedicated snipers in the Anchorage area (me and another guy who has been doing it for a lot longer than me - my spotter was unable to attend) were on the same team. We had gone up a ridge to try to gather some intel on the whereabouts of the other team, and ran into the ENTIRE team. We shot about half of them from over 200 feet, radioing for backup, who came up along the sides of the opfor and eliminated them. I got 19 kills in that one stretch of time.
And those are the games we love! But the slow paced games are far more prominent for what position we play. So, if you're just starting airsoft, get an AEG. You'll also need a highly upgraded gun for that many kills, a stock sniper WILL get out ranged and out gunned.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
TBH the Bar-10 and the L96 would be the best as there is many upgrade options for them. Meanwhile there is a lack of parts for the m24 and the ASR's aren't always the best for reliability. For your first gun get a JG g36c or a nice m4. You'll be sorted then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.