Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Ok so im just gonna get right into it. I have a load out that I am looking to build up more. Its a basic multicam load out that works well in both woodland and drier environments. So I want it to be multicam for the base camo and my gear to be a coyote or desert tan. Now the chest rig I traded for is black, and although I like the black, I want it in that tan color. So Im curious, is it possible (Or maybe I should say "simple") to dye a chest rig to correctly match the rest of my load out or to simply buy another chest rig, but in tan. If I can avoid buying another rig, that would be the best solution, but I also dont want to screw up the rig I have and be left with nothing.

I have heard that RIT dyes work pretty well, although I am a bit concerned going from a darker color to a lighter one and how that transition would work. Spray paint is out of the question too. I have painted a few fabric pieces, and it just comes out crunchy and not at all how I want my vest to look/feel. So please, any suggestions or opinions would be great.

Here is a pic of my rig and the color I would like it to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yah, I am a bit of a RIT nut, and dying fabric as dark as black to as light as tan wouldn't work. I am sorry to break it to you, but you could sell that rig to help compensate in buying a new one. All in all, it would be best to buy one then like you said, be left with nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To be honest, I am not sure how that'd work. I have never tried bleaching fabric to do that, so my word would just be a guess. And it's no problem at all, hope I was of some help at least.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As BobDoleIsGreat said, it's probably not going to work. Dyes rarely work on anything but natural fabrics/materials. Most vests (that I have seen) are not made of natural fabrics, they usually use synthetic fabrics that are colored during the manufacturing stage (what would be considered tint as opposed to dye). It might be like trying to remove coloring from fiberglass. Dyeing from dark to light is rarely if ever successful even after treating this with bleach or dye/color remover that RIT sells. Like he said, paint it, sell or trade it. :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
A lot of the material that this kind of gear is made of seems like it wouldn't work. Water doesn't soak in very well, it just seems to kind of roll off as if it were a little water proof. The only way I could see this working at all is if you had tan gear and wanted to go darker like turning it into black or OD green.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.