Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are your DMR's groupings at around 100ft?

Seems like no matter what I do, I can never get mine to group under 3inches at 65ft! FPS consistency is all there 450 +/- 1-2fps. Barrel/HopArm shimmed, quality bb's. Madbull barrel. Fusion Engine. Really, I swear i've done all the mods for accuracy you can do.

I've been playing with the r-hop and flathop. I did use an unmodified systema bucking for some comparison. Still no love. I want to suspect that its the madbull barrel, but its fairly new and unmodified, and most everyone seems to love them to death.

So I need some grouping info to compare too. It seems like I should be putting bb's through the same hole at the distance i'm at. Am I expecting too much, or what?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I am using .3s and hitting a little less than an inch on a bad day at 100 feet. I do, however, have a very nicely installed ER-hop. I think you are just the unluckiest person in the world. ;)

Lower the fps and use higher quality bbs, I like my Bioshots. I run a little under 380 on the aforementioned DMR, for example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using .3s and hitting a little less than an inch on a bad day at 100 feet. I do, however, have a very nicely installed ER-hop. I think you are just the unluckiest person in the world. ;)
Gah don't say that. I've already had HS5 label me the unluckiest person on ASM.

Sorry I failed to mention. but i've been using bioval .30s.

While I realize fps isn't everything. I still like it sitting at 450, i'll swap out nozzles and bump it down to 350 to see what'll happen. But i've seen people post results from higher powered builds and have some pretty tight groupings. If they can do it, whats stopping me, thats what I'm really hoping to find out.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well, those are one of the best you can get for ammo, so I really can't think of what could be causing this other than the inner barrel like you mentioned, but still. Were the tests done in a stable environment with no wind or anything?

What about the settings on the FE? I know you can program how long the nozzle puts out air; could something be a little off on any of the settings? What is your accuracy like at longer ranges, 200ft?, 250ft?, etc.?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No wind when I conducted the 65ft test. Done in the alley in the backyard.

As for the settings? I don't think any would be off; i've lowered the poppet dwell(how long air is pushed into the barrel) to around 15. The default setting of 20 is usually sufficient for 509mm barrels, since i'm running a 407mm, backed it down a little to avoid any overvoluming problems.

Been awhile since I tested long range accuracy. As I figured if I can't hit my goals for 65ft, would be pointless to try for 200+ until the problem is resolved.

But if i remember correctly, 200ft would be a spread a little bigger than a a piece of printer paper. 250+ would be torso/mansized.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hmm second time the TDC has come up. I'm willing to give it a try, but...it doesn't seem to be too hard to get good results with a standard hopup setup. Certainly something i'd do once i've solved this problem.

I've followed your advice though and knocked the power down to 350. Relatively easy, and at this point why not? I'll get around to testing it once this storm passes by.

I'm sorely tempted to buy a new hop chamber, bucking, and barrel, just to completely eliminate the barrel group as the source of the problem.

Not wanting to go against the grain here, but one of the things I can trace back is that i've only ever used madbull barrels. The current one, and the one I had modified to take an er-hop. Both had the same poor accuracy. So part of me wants to say its the madbull, despite their reputation(the v2s)...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Maybe your modification was bad? Although the Madbulls have a good reputation, and I personally like them very much, I would take a prommy or PDI any day over the madbull. They are great if you are on a budget, but if you can...
That is what I initially thought with the first one. So I bought another one and kept it stock for comparison. The new one does have some spots on the edge of the crown where the black anodizing has been scratched off leaving bare aluminium, small defect that I didn't notice when I initially got it. Could be the problem, hard to believe a small thing like that could be so detrimental too accuracy though.

Maybe this is just the excsue i need to try out the orga magnus 6.23!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So while I sit here waiting for this damn storm to get over with.

What is your reasoning behind keeping the fps of your guns down around 350, while using .3s, or .4s while at 410fps? Same reason people don't use .2s anymore, too light if you went higher. How's your effective range?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Absolutely correct. I don't need high fps to fling a bb, but if I push it higher and use steel rounds (got my hands on some of those .88g steel bearings) I can hit really far. ER-hop and 800 fps equals a good 150-160 meters.

With some of the hop setups I run, I have no MED at all, and I can still hit out to 100 meters or so. The trick is the LRB. The ER-hop is great, and is giving me some awesome results (95-100 meters), but every gun that runs the LRB, warp or otherwise, just flings bbs way the hell out there. And I mean way the hell out there. The trick with the ER-hop is getting consistent pressure applied to the patch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...and here I thought 450 was a reasonable compromise for power.

I was able to do some testing, rain let up. Horizontally, still flying with some variation. Granted, it was still kind of windy. So the jury is still out until a calmer day.

But to be honest, i've been working on this for so long, I really don't think the answer is going to be as easy as turning the fps down; though again we'll see.

But assuming the worst and, it doesn't work. What would you do? :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
this might seem like a really stupid question so please dont poke me with sticks lol

when is the last time you really cleaned and polished your barrel?
and are you washing your BB's?

some BB's leave quite a hefty residue.. just food for thought =)

i know i've been up long nights trying to figure out why the heck i get so many fliers and then at 4 am it hits me... "hmm maybe i should give the barrel a good clean lol"

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh its clean, I run rubbing alcohol through it. Spotless!

The BB's are washed thoroughly, atleast, my .4s are. Biovals don't need to be washed.

I have to be going crazy. I've swapped out hop chambers, gears, buckings(which shouldn't matter when you use the r-hop). Nothing works.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.