Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Well I'm *this* close to buying my next GBB. My other runs on duster gas, so this will be my first gun that can handle green gas. However, I've heard great things about how economical propane is. It is my understanding that green gas is essentially overpriced, lubed up propane. So, would like your input. Anyone who runs a pistol on propane: is it as advantageous as I've heard? I understand that it will require lubing of the adapter and various valves every couple mags or so, but I do that already with duster gas.

Also, I know you can buy cheap propane cylinders at Wal-Mart, but will they fill them up, too? And, finally, about how long will a full tank last?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lol, one thing that is great about propane is it makes nice fire balls when you hold a lighter at the end of the barrel.

It is much cheaper the greengas, the only reason people hate using it, is because they are lazy and don't want to have to add lube every 3 mag fill. Also greengas 8-11 dollars, propane 2-3 dollars. But there are many different opinions on this, I use propane and it works fine. Try using both and see what you and your wallet like the best.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I personally will never buy green gas again. It burned a gigantic hole in my friend's wallet in a short amount of time. I have always used propane, and will never go back. I bought a can at wal-mart for like two bucks, and it lasted the entire summer. Now granted, being a sniper, it is not every day that I pull my gbb out and start blasting away. With that said, propane in my opinion, is the better option. After all, if you want to get your pistol lubed, just do it yourself. No need to get green gas just for that sole purpose.

Overall, propane lasts a long time, is extremely cheap, and is easy to find. All you need is an adapter and some lube and you are set.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Propane is a very economical propellent to use in GBB guns, but there are a few drawbacks to consider.
1)Propane is generally not as pure as green gas and in some cases the impurities might foul the hop-up and seals in the gun. My GBB Mp7 has very tight tolerances in the hop up bucking and the propane cause bbs to get jammed in the hop up. This generally dosen't happen in most GBBs but some are finicky with the propane.
2)It smells bad.

I use propane or green gas depending on what gas gun I am using.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Well, Green Gas smells bad too.

Ideally, you make your own propellant, but that is really only for people who have access to chem labs.

I haven't done it...yet.

I am still trying to find a better propellant that is more space-efficient, and less reliant on the weather, but work has been slow. Working with C2H2 is much more fun. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
inthetallgrass said:
I wish they had propane that fitted the AI adapter in Ireland.....I found out the hard way after I bought it.
I use the AI adapter with B&Q propane, it stinks something awful (it's got garlic in it) but it's cheaper than green gas and lasts a lot longer.
According to their website they have plenty of shops in the south.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Sadly blackfoot I live in Sligo where there are no B&Q's to be found. Also I knew that the B&Q ones fit it but I thought that there would be one in Sligo that sells the stuff. Also it's not garlic, propane is naturally odorless but they have to put in a foul scent so people know if it's leaking. That's why the bottled green gas doesn't smell, it's not scented.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One question about propane: How often do you need to fill a mag once it had been filled? I know for green gas you can go through a full 3 before filling it again. Is this the same or better ratio for propane usage?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
About the same. With my MEU anyway. Propane is the way to go. It's cheap and effective. True, you have to buy come silicone oil, but that can be bought at VIP or even Walmart.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Shooter8191 said:
Now is the silicon only for the adapter, or do you need it to lube up the slide as well?I don't know if propane dries out the lube in the slide or not.
I don't even bother with the adapters that can spray silicon while filling your mag with propane. That is, I use a propane adapter without the silicon port. I simply lube the slides/internals after a day's game.

Then I lube up the mags and o-rings to prevent them from drying out. Taking apart the mags once and a while to lube the o rings in a cup or dish is a good choice to increase the o-rings life span.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.