Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PSA: Using Sorbo-pads with "cup" style piston heads can cause serious problems.

Using thinner sorbo Pads with "Cup" type piston heads and high powered springs can result in deterioration and deformation of the sorbo pad, and by extension, loss in FPS, barrel blockages, and even complete failure of the action.

The Story:
Earlier this evening there was a break in the poor weather so I took my recently upgraded Type 96 out to zero the scope and hop. Much to my dismay, the rifle was having serious FPS consistency issues. After putting a few more rounds through it, something that looked like the rubber of a hop up bucking flew out the barrel with the BB. After that the rifle wasn't operating properly. The bolt would cycle and lock normally, but the BB's weren't going anywhere. Finally, I opened it up. Sure enough, when I unscrewed the Cylinder head, off came the piston head with it, stuck to the sorbo pad.
As it turns out, the hard plastic of the piston head had warped and shredded the sorbo pad, before finally getting stuck to it. I simply pulled off the pad and cleaned the cylinder head. I wasn't able to find any other instances of this happening so I figured it best I let you guys know in case your gun shows similar problems.

This is how it came out of the Cylinder:

Note the deformation and deterioration of the inside of the sorbo pad:

Scraping off glue and rubber:

All cleaned up. No more sorbo pad for me tho, no more going in all sneaky beaky like.

I'll update this tomorrow once I get a chance to re-chrono and confirm it was the sorbo pad causing the issues.

For reference, I was using the Scatterplot Brand Type 96 Specific 3/16" Sorbo Pad and a guarder precision piston head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get the sorbo from?
It was a scatterplot brand pad I got from evike, and I know that those are regarded in most places as being at least standard.

To test whether or not it was in fact the piston head that did it in, I bough a new pad and a Silverback Carbon Fiber piston (review coming soon), and I'll update after my game tomorrow if the pad works alright with that piston.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.