Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it's not a simple equation. Theoretically, it could still exist as a conclusive formula, but when you consider needing to know the volume of air released...well, to hell with calculating it.

So, I'm asking for whatever vague insight you may have towards what PSI will result in what energy output (or FPS at some BB weight)- or at least, what is the highest PSI conceivably necessary [while expecting to field the rifle].
The point? I want to purchase the most appropriate gauge for my HPA rig. Currently, I'm using a 0-600 PSI, but I would like one which is easier to read / more precise- unfortunately, the only comparably small-sized gauge I've found is a 0-160 PSI- whereas I was hoping to find something like a 0-300.

Personally, I'm using a 6.03 x 555 mm barrel on my Tanaka. Realistically, I'd stay under 600 FPS - probably closer to 500 - at most fields, but in my area, I'm qualified to surpass the normal field limit of 400 FPS, with no other stated energy cap. So if I end up on a super long range field - with all my heavy BBs - I may be pushing fairly high energy outputs. I get the feeling that a 0-160 PSI gauge may pretty low.
I'll probably invest in a chronograph soon, but I currently do not own one, and received a faulty air tank- hence my asking on a forum rather than figuring this out for myself.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello magic, im running on 100 psi hpa on my 3 guns, fps result is as follows.

360fps Hicapa 5.1 110mm long barrel on a barrel bore of 6.04

420fps M4 270mm 6.02

520 fps bolt action 430mm, 6.23 orga Magnus barrel...

I havent found a regulator for hpa that has a max pressure output over 160psi. But they are prob on the market...

Ps.i only have experience with High pressure airrigs, Im completely clueless about CO2!

Best regards

Panduro

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello magic, im running on 100 psi hpa on my 3 guns, fps result is as follows.

360fps Hicapa 5.1 110mm long barrel on a barrel bore of 6.04

420fps M4 270mm 6.02

520 fps bolt action 430mm, 6.23 orga Magnus barrel...

I havent found a regulator for hpa that has a max pressure output over 160psi. But they are prob on the market...

Ps.i only have experience with High pressure airrigs, Im completely clueless about CO2!

Best regards

Panduro
Thank you so much for your input! :)
When I acquire my chrono, I'll come back to add my info.

As for regulators with output pressure greater than 160 PSI, try Palmers Pursuit Shop!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would imagine most regulators are probably capable of it, after all they have the blowoff valves just in case you go over (Or in case of catastrophic failure I suppose as well but still.)

·
Registered
151 Posts
i thought palmers almost only did CO2 rigs, live and learn ��. Paying import tax of both a products expected value, shipping, and vat makes me focus less on products bought or shipped from the us.

I havent tryed turning my regulator up past 110psi so i dont know what Will happen, but im Hopefull that it Will just refuse to "let" the pressure build past its max regulating pressure.

Greenlurker

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can change the output of the PB regulator on the cheap by rearranging the Bellville washers inside plus the addition or removal of flat washers if necessary.

Different HPA system requires different pressure to output the same FPS due to other variables such as expansion volume, dwell time, barrel length etc. so I don't think you can peg PSI to FPS across different platforms.

You can calculate the volume of air per shot by using a precision weighing scale to measure the net weight of air used and divide it by number of shots.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I didn't think of doing that, although many precision scales can only handle 200 grams. I guess if you're dividing the air by 700 shots or something, you could use a scale that can handle a few kilograms.

I haven't actually weighed a full and empty CO2 powerlet yet, but I get about 120 shots at around 8 bar, and that corresponds fairly well with the theoretical number of shots. The Mancraft gauge doesn't have a lot of gradations on it, so I can't really determine how many bar it is. For CO2, a 12 g powerlet contains about 6.1 L of CO2.

(The molecular weight of CO2 is 12+2(16) = 44, so 12 g = 0.2727 mol, 0.2727 mol * 22.4 L/mol = 6.109 L.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can derive volume per shot from p1v1=p2v2 but then you would need a larger pressure gauge on the tank to accurately read off. Then again a larger gauge means more air is lost per shot so... weighing is still more practical and accurate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.