Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that on one of my older rifles, the threads have stripped after all the times I've taken it apart for cleaning and put it back together, this happened over 4 years, but the thing is the rifle has never been fielded, it's been a backyard plinker and I've taken it apart maybe every 5th month over those years.

I'm currently building a new gun, just a classic VSR build, but I'd like history to not repeat itself. Can an airsoft rifle be cleaned with minimal disassembly? Like is there a safe way to clean the inner barrel with it still in the gun without damaging the hop system? I was thinking of using a 6mm Boresnake without metal brushes since it doesn't seem like a good idea to put a stick in the hop unit.

OR have I simply been doing something wrong that caused the threads to strip? I haven't overtightened them as far as I'm aware. Are you supposed to put oil on the threads? This sounds like it would make the screws loosen by themselves however.

I've made a typical QD trigger guard so the cylinder assembly can be removed with just one screw. Better than having to take the thing apart, but still a thread that can be stripped.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You can clean your inner barrels without taking the rifle apart. I use a small piece of toilet paper or tissue on the cleaning rod, with some rubbing alcohol. Just put it in the barrel until you see it in the hopup chamber through the magwell. Clean until the material doesn’t get dirty anymore. I personally rarely ever clean my inner barrels. If you get a high end barrel like an EdGi barrel, they actually don’t get as dirty as fast due to the superior surface finish.

·
Registered
179 Posts
as long as you are gentle with taking the screws out and don't over-tighten, then they shouldn't strip.
I'm currently making a qd system for my vsr which uses pins instead of screws to hold the stock and upper together. I got the idea from @Blind Sniper so the credit goes to him. You could do this and avoid having the screw strip issue and be able to take your rifle apart much faster. ask Blind Sniper if you have questions about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can clean your inner barrels without taking the rifle apart. I use a small piece of toilet paper or tissue on the cleaning rod, with some rubbing alcohol. Just put it in the barrel until you see it in the hopup chamber through the magwell. Clean until the material doesn’t get dirty anymore. I personally rarely ever clean my inner barrels. If you get a high end barrel like an EdGi barrel, they actually don’t get as dirty as fast due to the superior surface finish.
Maple Leaf 6.02
Action Army 6.01 and 6.03
What barrel would you recommend out of these two? Getting hold of the legendary EdGi parts is borderlining on impossible here in Sweden. These are the only ones I can find.

Regarding the pin mod mentioned above there, How hard is that to make? I do not have access to any "real" tools at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maple Leaf 6.02
Action Army 6.01 and 6.03
What barrel would you recommend out of these two? Getting hold of the legendary EdGi parts is borderlining on impossible here in Sweden. These are the only ones I can find.

Regarding the pin mod mentioned above there, How hard is that to make? I do not have access to any "real" tools at all.
probably the maple leaf. its a bit better than the action army. is it the regular ml barrel or the crazy jet?
and the pin mod isn't too hard.
You'll need a drill, aluminum block, two pins that can go entirely through the stock, a screw, and a screwdriver.
idk the dimensions of the block, but its quite small. you just bolt it to the receiver in place of the long screw, the you put the pin through the stock and the block. you also drill a hole through the hopup block and put another pin through there.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Action Army 6.03 is a good overall barrel. That’s what I use in rifles when I build a rifle for someone else on a budget. If you want an EdGi barrel, I am able to ship one to you. It will be pricey, but if you want to pay for the barrel and shipping, I’ll help you out!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Blackmail @Blind Sniper

The ML barrels are standard 6.03's rather than crazy jets.

Regarding the pin modification, I doubt this is something I can pull off despire seeming relatively simple, I doubt I can pull this off due to my very (VERY) limited experience.
Regarding Blind Sniper's offer about sending an EdGi barrel, this is very kind of you, but unfortunately I do not currently have access to a payment method that works internationally.

If I do notice that the threads are stripping again, can they be repaired with helicoils? There is a local automotive shop that offers helicoil installation service for pretty much anything.

Since you guys seem to be very knowledgeable, here's a quick second question, What is the Maple Leaf hop unit like? If it performs relatively well I'll get one as the AA unit doesn't have the side lever like the stock unit does. (I can't do the barrel dial because the scope sits very low, which is the ideal comfort height to me)

·
Registered
179 Posts
@Blackmail @Blind Sniper

The ML barrels are standard 6.03's rather than crazy jets.

Regarding the pin modification, I doubt this is something I can pull off despire seeming relatively simple, I doubt I can pull this off due to my very (VERY) limited experience.
Regarding Blind Sniper's offer about sending an EdGi barrel, this is very kind of you, but unfortunately I do not currently have access to a payment method that works internationally.

If I do notice that the threads are stripping again, can they be repaired with helicoils? There is a local automotive shop that offers helicoil installation service for pretty much anything.

Since you guys seem to be very knowledgeable, here's a quick second question, What is the Maple Leaf hop unit like? If it performs relatively well I'll get one as the AA unit doesn't have the side lever like the stock unit does. (I can't do the barrel dial because the scope sits very low, which is the ideal comfort height to me)
the maple leaf hopup is alright, but the action army is superior in performance. I know you were saying you don't want a tdc because of your low scope, but there is one made by tridos design that is only 5.0mm tall. Even the lowest of scopes can easily clear it. It is also very easy to install. The only tool you need is a drill to make one hole. Do you know someone who could let you use their drill for a 10 second drill job?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
the maple leaf hopup is alright, but the action army is superior in performance. I know you were saying you don't want a tdc because of your low scope, but there is one made by tridos design that is only 5.0mm tall. Even the lowest of scopes can easily clear it. It is also very easy to install. The only tool you need is a drill to make one hole. Do you know someone who could let you use their drill for a 10 second drill job?
Absolutely, but I just found out those dials are nowhere to be found here, Sweden is not the best country for finding more specialized parts. Is it worth installing an AA chamber anyways? or can the ML be tuned to perform somewhat equal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Absolutely, but I just found out those dials are nowhere to be found here, Sweden is not the best country for finding more specialized parts. Is it worth installing an AA chamber anyways? or can the ML be tuned to perform somewhat equal?
In Europe we (TRIDOS.DESIGN) don't have any resellers because we have very affordable and fast shipping across the Europe and that way we have also full control about the buying experience and customer support. We have tons of order from all across Europe, including Sweden! So yes, you might need to wait a few days for it but you can only get the TDC 2.0 directly from TRIDOS.DESIGN | Airsoft accessories for players. By players.

Btw, we also have a TM version of the TDC 2.0 coming up - the parts are done and we're sending out some units for testing so they should be available in a month or two hopefully. So in case you have the original TM chamber from the VSR, then there would be no need to get a new chamber for the TDC 2.0

1 - 15 of 15 Posts