Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just installed an R-Hop into my M16. Filed down the lumpy bit on the inside of the hop rubber so it's smooth, cut the R-Hop to shape so it fits the barrel window perfectly. Tested it, it provides too much hop for .36g BBs. Removed the nub, and I get the same result, too much hop. If I use .4g BBs, then it provides a good amount of hop, but have hardly any range as it's shooting 310 with .2s.
Upping the FPS isn't an option here, so I need to lower the hop. Any ideas how?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think you can sand the back side of the hop patch so its not as tall. My buddy mentioned about having to do that to tune it. My gun shoots way hotter and has over 250' of range. But I can't turn my hop down. How come you can't increase you fps?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You are supposed to take fine grit sand paper (at least 400 grit) and sand the inside channel of the r-hop. Use a metal or plastic rod about the same size as the bb to wrap the sand paper around and get a tube with an ID the same as the OD of the inner barrel to hold the r-hop. Also make sure the r-hop is flush with the outside of the inner barrel when you put it in the hop window. You can use sandpaper to sand down the outside to make it flush. You should also replace the nub entirely with a bit of nerf dart foam or something similarly squishy but sturdy. Just make sure even pressure is applied to the r-hop patch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because it's my AEG rather than my sniper. Max limit for AEGs at my local fields is 345, I could up it to that, but +30 FPS isn't going to make enough of a difference for it to matter really.

Thanks Juggler, I'll do that tomorrow. I used 600 grit sandpaper to remove the lumpy bit from the inside of the hop rubber, so I'll sand the r-hop with that. I think I still have a few Nerf darts around somewhere, I keep pointless things like that in a box in the shed :).

I've also got a hard hop rubber (Prometheus) but having trouble turning it inside out to remove the 'lumpy bit' (need a name for that..). Any ideas/methods?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The lumpy bit is called the mound. I heard somewhere that can put the bucking on a bic pen and roll it over yourself. Someone else can go into detail with that because I've never done this method before. The hard bucking will work better because of the air seal but just remember the only thing fps affects is how fast the bb gets to the target. Fps does nothing to range, accuracy, etc. Try to make the nerf foam nub as wide as the hopup arm and as long as the r-hop pach. I think this goes without saying but try to center it over the patch. Most people who do this kind of thing have huge piles of random junk, including me LOL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so no more calling it the 'lumpy bit inside the rubber' :).

I've tried that, but it doesn't work. I'm worried about ruining the rubber as when I start to turn it inside out, it goes white (like when it stretches a lot) and I feel it's going to rip or tear. I know it doesn't, but a better air seal means more consistency, meaning more consistent shots etc., right?

For filing the r-hop, would this work:
Unjamming rod with fine sandpaper around it, then put the r-hop on an old inner barrel I have, with tape around to hold it in place. Then file it using the unjamming rod?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Use a fine tip on your dremel and just file away.
That would work too.

A more consistent air seal means more consistent fps which will give you more consistent shots, yes. You could try googleing how to turn your bucking inside out, because I don't have any experience with that one.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Eraser would probably work just as well. As long as it is soft and distributes the pressure evenly along the r-hop patch you're golden.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.