Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what setup/radios everyone uses. Do you use HAM Radios or simple FRS? and how do you rig your mic/earpeice? what type of mic/earpiece do you use? I use a Wouxon Ham Radio with the standard police style microphone and sports earbuds.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I've got a walkie-talkie with some Panasonic earphones plugged in! Nothing fancy, but it works. I'll buy a headset when I don't have other priorities for my money. :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
I got a Puxin Px888 (5w), with Bowman style headset w/ptt.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use a Wouxon with Bowman style headset w / ptt.

that shown in the picture

·
Registered
890 Posts
Our team's standard for radios is a motorola SP50. I have a 10 channel with the first two programmed as our team channels and the other 8 is the first 8 for regular radios. I use a large PTT button with a throat mic on my assault rig. I do not have anything yet for sniping as money has been a little tight the last few months. I have all the wires neatly tucked away and everything is zip tied to the rig as to keep things as uncluttered as possible.
This is clearly set up for a left handed person lol. I just realized that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I run a PX888 with a external mic/speaker clipped on chest rig near my neck for easy access.

I had tried the headset but didn't like something strapped all around my head. The mic/speaker is simple and works nicely. I keep the volume low enough that people 100ft can't hear it anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love the new Chinese ham's like the puxing and the wouxon. I find that as a small sniper element, I need to be able to communicate with everybody, and they all help with that by being able to be set on the fly.

There's a new one out from baofeng called the UV5R, anybody try it yet?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I love the new Chinese ham's like the puxing and the wouxon. I find that as a small sniper element, I need to be able to communicate with everybody, and they all help with that by being able to be set on the fly.

There's a new one out from baofeng called the UV5R, anybody try it yet?
I would stay away from the UV5R. I have two friends that bought them and both have hardware bugs that can't be fixed and the software is terrible.

Stay with the Puxing and Wouxon. A lot of players already using them with no problems.

I am waiting on the PRC152 that is better suited for airsoft and is waterproof and can be used as a weapon in a emergency.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I currently use a cheap Chinese throat mike and ear piece with a GP68 radio.

I just bought a clone set of sordins. Might not use them whilst sniping though. Friend has the real steel set and says the clones are almost as good. The clones cut the sound rather than dampen it properly but they do have the advantage that they keep working when the battery runs out - unlike the real steel.

I would never run a radio without an ear piece. Its just going to give your position away.

Radios definitely make the game a lot more fun though I feel.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Love that vest!!
Thanks. I spent a lot of time finding a configuration that I'm happy with.

I'm just starting to finish up my battle belt now and I've been running with that for at least 6 months now. That will have a different radio setup though mostly because the way I have my current throat mic wired in I would have a time trying to take it out of my vest. That's the cost of making something streamline though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I got a Puxing Px888 (5w), with Bowman style headset w/ptt.
Same here. Switched from small simple thin gauge wire one ear piece/mike combo when I ripped it out in the middle of a game two weeks ago.

I've considered the throat mike setup, but one of my fellow airsofters tried it and said the quality of voice is terrible- which is too bad, as I like the low profile design of it.

Same friend is considering these: Peltor imitation, but even though I have used similar noise cancelling stuff at the range, I have no idea how this would translate to the airsoft field... but I'll post a review from him when he gets them for reference sake.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, My team does a lot of CQB stuff, so i'm actually switching to more of an M4 setup... I still have my 3-9x scope on it, so I can still observe... Which is what I primarily do. I have one teammate who runs the Wouxon (our whole team is Ham licensed and technically break the law by not using our call-signs on the ham frequency, but most fields are big enough/far enough from everywhere else that it doesn't really matter) with the police style speaker mic it comes with, but has a pair of noise canceling ear muffs that can plug into the headphone jack on the speaker mic. It also keeps the sound grenades from killing your ears. Just a thought for you people who do more CQB style games. These are the ear moughs, although he got his for $20 on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Howard-Impa...429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564f5f36a5). With the sound amplifier he can hear a lot better then most of us to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.