Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well, the cylinder head and upgraded barrel did nothing for the gun. My range is now worse than before - it seems the piston has too much weight, as not only am I not getting joule creep but I have lost range.

I can only conclude the Laylax SP170 has been compressed too much as is clearly not generating the power it should be. Are APS2 springs shorter than VSR10 springs?

Do you think an APS2 cylinder would work too?
I'd be surprised if it wouldn't. The cylinder components are all APS2 spec except for the piston, which is 45 degrees and therefore VSR10 (I believe).

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Pretty much for the most part, or else they're not APS2.
I was never able to get much power from my gun, so I imagine that something is up with the cylinder or barrel, or you just can't squeeze much power out of an APS2, but I do think that 3J isn't too hard for them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Pretty much for the most part, or else they're not APS2.
I was never able to get much power from my gun, so I imagine that something is up with the cylinder or barrel, or you just can't squeeze much power out of an APS2, but I do think that 3J isn't too hard for them.
Thats the conclusion I'm coming to as well. Either my spring is a dud or something weird is up with the cylinder in that you can't get the power up. Why the last one would be true is beyond my comprehension.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Am I correct in understanding these are all 13mm outer diameter? Clearly something is wrong with my spring - an SP170 should not be struggling to make 2J, especially when my stock spring still does that. Did I get a dud?
APS2 can be 7/11 or 9/13mm in/out diameter, stock type96, AA springs and generic upgrade kits are 11mm, most others are 13mm.

3J out of an aps2 spring isn't that hard something is up with the setup, maybe cylinder isn't exactly aps2 spec and possibly shorter?

Or massive airleak somewhere.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
APS2 can be 7/11 or 9/13mm in/out diameter, stock type96, AA springs and generic upgrade kits are 11mm, most others are 13mm.

3J out of an aps2 spring isn't that hard something is up with the setup, maybe cylinder isn't exactly aps2 spec and possibly shorter?

Or massive airleak somewhere.
Current spring is VSR10 SP170. Bucking/barrel seal is 100%, cylinder/bucking seal seems to be 100%, which leaves cylinder. I can't tell what's up with that. Sometimes it seems it leaks a bunch out the back - other times it it seems like it is just my finger slipping off the head. Cylinder head is not leaking, so would it be leaking past the piston?

However, an air leak that big would not result in consistent FPS, would it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Current spring is VSR10 SP170. Bucking/barrel seal is 100%, cylinder/bucking seal seems to be 100%, which leaves cylinder. I can't tell what's up with that. Sometimes it seems it leaks a bunch out the back - other times it it seems like it is just my finger slipping off the head. Cylinder head is not leaking, so would it be leaking past the piston?

However, an air leak that big would not result in consistent FPS, would it?
Measure your cylinder length but Im sure you use APS2 internal cylinder parts based on previous comments.

What piston are you using? Stock piston might not be sealing well.

Could get some 90' Sears and a type 96 piston but I would suggest to not bother as if the cylinder or trigger housing breaks after awhile it's the whole gun in the bin.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Cylinder length is 9.5in, measured from end to end (not including cylinder head nor bolt assembly).
Piston stroke length appears to be about 4in, measured from end of piston to start of cylinder head
Cylinder diameter is 7/8in
Sorry no metric, the closest tape measure was only imperial.

O-ring definitely doesn't seem to be sufficient to ensure good seal. There are two spots for o-rings, but only one came stock. I shall remedy this.

On a similar vein, I notice holes in the piston - it occurs to me now these might be intended for air flow purposes. They have been blocked for a long time via can mod, and lately by lead tape. Could this be causing back pressure, further sapping power?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts