Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Update: Supplier has come back to me, the PTFE tuber, which are rigid, unfortunately do not come with a 24mm ID just 25mm with a tolerance of +/- 0.1mm. this will leave a larger gap then the current guide rings and so will be useless

Also TM receiver cannot use 0.8mm material far too thick, now looking for 0.5mm or will bore the receiver out a bit but as i do not have a machine for this it will be by hand, so not exactly precise.

Regarding the tolerances (though diameter would be a more correct term here) - I left the same diameter as on original rings. Cylinder head acts as a base surface with hop up unit. So some clearance between rings and cylinder is not an issue. That gap even helps to reduce friction.
I said tolerance because I meant tolerance. the supplier I found for the nylon-6 and acetal (Delrin) tubes offers a 25mm ID but with a tolerance of 23mm to 24.4mm ID with the idea that you finish it to your requirement yourself. Hardly precision engineering. if it came as 24.4 guaranteed i would snap it up. Also have a huge 5.5mm wall thickness so much machining would be required.....the hunt continues.

As for the gap....the point of the mod is to help centre the bolt and remove the inherent wobble which is a result of mass production of a non precision item (the receiver). We aim for a tight fit (Careful aims for +0.05mm from cylinder diameter) to achieve this and so then we must look to low friction materials to allow for a smooth action as well as a well centred one.

Teflon is kinda soft as raw material. Nylon/PA6 isn't the best option for sliding. I used Ertalyte for receiver glide rings and piston glide rings. Now the bolt pull with teflon cylinder is very smooth. SPR380 spring feels like M150.
Thanks for the advice, i will look for this too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For high end builds you might also like Iglide/Iglidur bushings from igus.com.
At work we used their bushings in moving components of marine robots instead of ball bearings. Worked pretty well. Friction of those bushings is really low.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not bad, really helpful.
Thank you for your comment!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.