Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just realized how conveniently the way my local airsoft community (registered association by the way =D) has organized the guns tech board. There are to ground rules how to use that board:

1. Read the topics through. And reply to the SPECIFIC guns thread IF it doesn't solve your problem/question.

2. IF there is NO THREAD YET to the gun on hand THEN you may CREATE a NEW THREAD with a following heading say from TM Mp5K: "Mp5 and all it's variants.".

NOTE: Regardless the exact type of the gun the thread must be named with the MAIN TYPE of the gun.

Now the pro's and con's:
+ This kills the needless and annoying "80% identical posts of the same gun"-posts.
+ The total amount of threads stays small, thus it's easier to browse the board at hand for information.
+ All the various information about a single gun regardless of manufacturer, EXCEPT TO DEFINE THE POWER-TYPE: (AEG, gas, spring). I.e. RS SVD Dragunov and variants / AtoZ SVD Dragunov and variants. Is in the same one thread, all that's needed to do is to read the whole thing through.

- Since the different method of thread creation the always so very big and bad Mr. Necropost must be allowed to Others section and to be made clear of exclusiveness on this one single board.

-Threads will grow long... Over time. Yet 90% of all known web browsers nowadays include the mighty "Search" function so it should be easy to browse posted pages if one knows what is looking for. And if not then there is no reason to skip any posts yes? ;)

As a conclusion I regard this method of posting to be a guaranteed success.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Now I'm confused about the general titles of the thread, are you saying that we should copy all the info for all (as you example states) Mp5 varients of all companies into one thread? I think that would work fine as an inital FAQ's however over time when new versions come out it is going to need updating. I'm almost certain unless its pinned it will not get the required attention.

I'm still a little confused about the idea you are trying to convey here, but from what I understand it sounds like a good idea. I don't think it will kill the "80% identical posts of the same gun". People who want immediate answers are not going to sift through 4+ pages if they think they can just ask and get their question answered, just a heads up. I would love to have this style thread for quick reference though.

sticks

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works on my local forum so I can't imagine why it wouldn't over here... When a new type of gun comes out, then people would just post stuff about them to the end of the thread. As I said about one wanting specific information then one should use Search and look for it from page to page.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well since as you stated in another thread that the games you attend are mostly 18+ I'm assuming your forum is too. Which would mean the overall maturity of your forum would be higher(i could be totally wrong though). I'm not saying it wouldn't work to an extent but I don't think it would work as well here. Mainly because most of the people who ask these types of questions are from the ages of 12-17, many of which have obviously had no forum experience and just want their questions now.

I'm not saying that you should not do this(because it is a really good idea), but I am saying that it might not work as well as you think. I definately want this to happen though, because I would use it allot. Just don't expect to many things.

sticks

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I don't my local area and forum has loads of youngsters but everything works since everybody know what happens if you don't obey. =D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Well... This is my two cents on it, although your idea probably works extremely well on your other forums, this forum is more of a 13-17 year old network, and majority of them just want to post a thread, and ask the question, get the answer, and maybe pop back a few more times to check out some cool pictures. That's why we have over 400 something members, and yet only about 40 actual common posters that I can more than likely name off the top of my head.

About the weapons and that stuff, the conversion would take a long time, but this is also why I've asked before for people to make a new post about the weapon, and literally as much intel as they can give us on it, how to tear it down, put it back together, FAQ's, and dozens of pictures, and those types of threads get stickied (I.E. Oakey's review on the Fortress Stock, Livonia's review on the Maruzen, and Dutton's breakdown of the CA-M24). All we can do as moderators is lock a thread if it's redundant and point the kid in the right direction, and that's about all that we should do. Because even if we made a thread with every possible question and variable known to man, kids that don't know how this forum operates would still make a new thread, because they're just downright lazy when it comes to gathering their own information, which is why we have over 10 threads on how to make a ghillie suit, when in reality it takes one, maybe two. But the problem of "Thread Re-Runs" is something that I'm personally going to adress, and I'll be doing some cleaning up today, just after I do some cramming for the upcoming test this week.

Cheers, and keep the good ideas coming!

-Mosin
Airsoft Sniper Administrator

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10-4 =)

P.S. I'd say this case is closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.