Airsoft Sniper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what people have had luck with, as far as reinforcement in rifle stocks, specifically the cyma m14. My plan is to use fiberglass resin/mat on many parts of the rifle internally, to hopefully creat a more rigid, durable stock. I know that will help deaden the sound, but I’ve seen many other suggestions for sound deadening. Spray foam, caulking, resin, bondo, epoxy. Just wanted to see what people have had good luck getting to stick and muffle/strengthen a plastic stock

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well for starters, don't use spray foam. Ever. It will expand and most likely crack your stock. Regular foam should be good enough for sound deadening. The stock should be durable as it is, but if you want that extra bit of rigidity, resin should do it. Others on here might have some options as well.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
If you want strength, fiberglass is easy and cheap, and if you want sound dampening I'd look at either Dynamat Xtreme or a similar metal coated car dampener with foam in hollow spaces, or you could use aluminum tape with foam in hollow spaces. The Dynamat will be a bit heavier but will do more, while the aluminum tape does help but a bit less. Both in combination with foam will be better than bare foam, or anything else really. As for foam, the open cell stuff like for music studios, gun cases, some packaging, and some furniture/pillows works great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dear Sketchy,

There are two ways you can go with this project: cheap and good or expensive and perfect. Let's start with reinforcing.

You can certainly go with the fiberglass, and if you are already tooled up for it, that's a great way to go, but for the rest of us DIY folks a cheap epoxy or resin layer does the job just fine while adding a minimum amount of weight. I've even used a spray epoxy from Home Depot which worked amazingly well. Just make sure it has a rough surface to bond to. These are all great options that won't cost a ton while adding a minimum amount of weight. When you're running around the field, weight matters!

Sound dampening can be handled quick and easy. The ringing and/or vibrating you get when shooting will already be reduced with the reinforcing, but that hollow sound can only be removed by adding filler. You can go with the foam that is specifically engineered to dampen noise, but it's really not worth the money. You will get the same effect with packing foam. The same foam that is used in your gun case will work great. (Here's a secret from an old DIYer, After lining the inside with your frame with epoxy, put down an old towel as your next layer and then trip the excess. The hollow sound is mostly caused by sound echoing inside the frame. The towel will absorb those sounds with amazing efficiency. Some of my best suppressors even use towels.)

I hope this help with your project. Good luck.

Sincerely,

The 7th Seal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts